Dell Optiplex 755 Upgrade

parmpreet001

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Let's say i have an Dell Optiplex 755. I want to upgrade several things on that computer. The CPU is fine. I plan on buying a Radeon 6570. This one to be exact.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1818657&CatId=1558

As you can see, it uses a PCI express x 16 slot, so it should be fine.
I also want to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB. However I don't know which kind of ram stick to buy, also, i don't know how many RAM slots are available.

I also want to upgrade the hard drive to 250 GB. Once again, i don't know which hard drive to buy.

Lastly, is the power supply. It's kinda obvious a need to upgrade the power supply. However, what would be a safe amount?

P.S The dell optiplex is a small form factor(SFF)
I want to use this computer for games.
I am willing to spend up to $250
The current cpu is a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz

Solution
The answer is very easy. First, it was reported for this card to work on even 220 watt Dell PSUs, and you have 275 watt, and second, check second picture, zoom in and look at power supply unit, it is Dell as well and most likely the same as yours!

I hope I provided you with the best answer, I even surprised myself, LOL
First things first. Identify your PC from the pictures below.

1541optiplex755family30.jpg

Second, what is the purpose of your upgrades, games or just general use?

How much money you are willing to spend, approximately?

You said that CPU is ok, which one you have, the best it could handle is 3.00GHz Yorkfield Quad Core Q9650, 12MB

Once you identify your PC form factor I can direct you toward memory as well - speed of memory depends on form factor for this model.

First, please in the future, do not edit your posts, place a new reply, in this case email subscribers like me would get notification that someone posted new reply and respond time would be quicker. I just seen your edit by chance.

Power supply is proprietary, so forget about upgrading here.

Let spend 250 USD with pleasure.

Sapphire 7750 will beat you choice from all directions and it is reported working excellent in SFF and it is only $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002 if your rebate will work, you can save $10, so it would cost you only $100.

Here is your PC and Sapphire 7750 in it

6864.Optiplex775HD7750-TOP.jpg

And another view

2072.Optiplex775HD7750-Side.jpg

And this is the proof that you are not dreaming

1070.Optiplex755HD7750.jpg

A bit about games, what about FarCry 3

7230.FC3Optiplex775HD7750.jpg

7128.FC3ISOptiplex775HD7750.jpg

8015.FC3VQOptiplex775HD7750.jpg

If you want to talk about CPU change, we can, you still have extra $140 to spend or so, LOL

parmpreet001

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
wow i didn't know such a graphic card existed at such a cheap price. However, is says the minimum watt supply requirement for this GPU is 400 Watts. But the Dell optiplex 755 SFF comes with only a 275 Watt power supply. Are you sure I don't need a new power supply? I got the Ram and Hard drive covered now, so i don't need to worry about that, neither the CPU. Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

The answer is very easy. First, it was reported for this card to work on even 220 watt Dell PSUs, and you have 275 watt, and second, check second picture, zoom in and look at power supply unit, it is Dell as well and most likely the same as yours!

I hope I provided you with the best answer, I even surprised myself, LOL

Solution

parmpreet001

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Okay, i have one final question. The sapphire radeon 7750 is a PCI express 3.0 x16. My computer has a PCI express x16 slot. Will the sapphire Radeon 7750 fit in the PCI express x16 slot? As well as a PCI express 2.0 graphics card?

PCIE is the size, other slots you have are PCI, 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0 are PCIE speed measurements (simply said), you loosing not as much as you are gaining by getting this card. Regarding actual fit - you can easy see on the first 2 pictures, fits like a glove!

CarelessGenius

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Kisianik,

I see from this old thread that you successfully installed a Sapphire Radeon HD7750 low profile in your Dell 755 SFF pc. Is that right? If so, did the card install easily? Am looking at this card as a possible solution for my Dell 755 SFF and I particularly want to play Far Cry 3, so am intrigued by your screenshots.

I bought a second hand (maybe part of the problem?) XFX Radeon HD6670 low profile and this didn't install at all........don't want to get my fingers burnt twice....
Any advice would be most greatly appreciated.

Regards,

CG.

CarelessGenius

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Kisianik,
Thanks for the reply.
I still have the 6670 but have given up trying to install it. Just can't get the pc to see it. Uninstalled/disabled the Intel Chipset graphic drivers and software, turned pc off, plugged the card in (it fits perfectly), the fan spools, connected it to my monitor via DVI-D cable, but just black screen. In BIOS it says the PCI-E slot is unpopulated. Have scoured forums for help but still no joy. The card itself (bought second hand off Ebay) might be a duffer, my PCI-E slot might be faulty......etc, etc......no PC repair shops want to look at the problem.

Might have to buy a new 7750...at least if it doesn't work I can send it back for a refund.

Regards,

CG.

CarelessGenius

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Kisianik,
Sorry for extra reply, but might a Windows reinstall solve my problems with the HD6670?

Regards,

CG.