Intel QX9770 not working on GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard.

zheka1

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
So I recently borrowed a processor intel QX9770 of my friend, to try it out, and if my computer supports it, I will buy it. (on h is computer it works fine). When I put this processor in my motherboard GA-EP45-UD3P (Gigabyte), the computer turns on for few seconds, and shuts off, then turns back on, and shuts back off, and it will probably do that like 5 times, then it will just shut off. My other processor wors fine on this motheboard, so therefore socket is good. I updated my BIOS to FE, no change. I tried resseting the BIOS, no change. I need some help on what can be the problem. My power supply is brand new, Rosewill RG630-S12.

Solution
This is a stupid question, but what is the speed of your RAM? DDR2-667?

If you don't have DDR2-800 or higher, your RAM doesn't match that CPU's bus speed of 1600 MHz. The FSB is quad-pumped so your system bus is 400 MHz x4 = 1600 MHz FSB. If your RAM is DDR2-667 or 533... then it is not going to post if your RAM won't clock to that speed. And if your RAM was overclocked to that speed, the RAM chips might not handle it and it'll just keep rebooting.

I had this problem before... so I just thought I'd through it out there. If you already have 2 DDR2-800 sticks and have it in dual channel mode and it's not working, check again that your heatsink is mounted properly with no gaps... because if it isn't flush then it'll just overheat and...

zheka1

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I originally had FB bios, and it wasn't posting, so then I upgraded through the software called "@BIOS" that comes with Gigabyte boards, and it searches for the latest bios, downloads, and flashes. Weird part about it, the website says latest it has is FD. I also tried removing all memory sticks, and using just one, that didn't help, and also tried another chip in a different slot, that didn't work either.

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

When was the last time you tried it in his PC?
I wouldn't be surprised if it got damaged somehow.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
This is a stupid question, but what is the speed of your RAM? DDR2-667?

If you don't have DDR2-800 or higher, your RAM doesn't match that CPU's bus speed of 1600 MHz. The FSB is quad-pumped so your system bus is 400 MHz x4 = 1600 MHz FSB. If your RAM is DDR2-667 or 533... then it is not going to post if your RAM won't clock to that speed. And if your RAM was overclocked to that speed, the RAM chips might not handle it and it'll just keep rebooting.

I had this problem before... so I just thought I'd through it out there. If you already have 2 DDR2-800 sticks and have it in dual channel mode and it's not working, check again that your heatsink is mounted properly with no gaps... because if it isn't flush then it'll just overheat and restart over and over. I had that problem before too.

Just thought I'd through it out there to you.

Solution

zheka1

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I fixed the problem. Heres what I did.

I removed 4x2GB Kingston sticks, and put my spare OCZ 1GB chip in, and it wouldn't post. So I removed one of the 2, 4 pin connector to the motherboard for the cpu, and it posted. So I was cool, that was the problem, put my old chips back in, same problem so I put the OCZ back in, booted, with ram being utilizing all of it. So I went into the bios, Switched the timing to manual from auto to 5-5-5-15, saved the bios, and put my old chips back on, and it posts, and boots.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Glad it's up and working. That is why I suggested the RAM. I had a similar problem where the BIOS was clocking my RAM at a lower speed than the higher system bus of the new chip I was installing. In my case I just had to reset the CMOS and upon reboot it clocked the chips right. (that's when switching from a 1066 to a 1333 FSB CPU)

But I helped a guy here locally the other day who installed a 1600 FSB CPU into a board with DDR2 667 RAM and it would reboot and post, then die then reboot... similar to what you mentioned. I just switched out his memory and tried some ddr2-800 sticks and it solved his problem. Memory timings and speed can play funny games with you when upgrading the CPU if something was manually set or not automatically detected right the first time in the BIOS.

I'm happy you resolved it! :)