Does IOPS make a difference

suteck

Distinguished
Hello,
Quick question about IOPS. If I'm looking at 2 ssd's with 560 and 520 read/write and one has 63,000 iops and the other has 128,000 iops, will the one with 128,000 iops be faster and or better?

Thanks

Solution
IOPS = Input Output operations Per Second. Now with that said the ones that have the most MAX IOPS, Read IOPS and Write IOPS will be the fastest drives. You also need to figure in the controller on the drive also.

IOPS is different than Reads/Writes MB per second as you may already know so try not to get the two confused. With enough searching on the net you should be able to find enough benchmarks that will give you a good idea of each drives performance.

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
What are you using the computer for?
Also, IOPS numbers increase as the Queue Depth increases. Search your specific SSDs in question on hardocp-- they show what a SSDs actualy IOPS are for a queue depth of 1 to 6. And for reads, and writes.

What dirve is advertised as having 128,000 IOPS?

it matters yes, but for everyday use it would not be noticeable they say. unless you benchmark or something.

guess it depends on you, if you're willing to dish out the extra cash. knowing that everyday, typical use is the same for either ssd. but if you do other stuff that will show you the difference then that is a different story. if it is a few bucks, then i'd say go for it.

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
You won't notice the difference between one ssd to another but you will notice a huge difference between ssd and hdd so don't worry about faster and slower one because it isn't that huge of a difference.

suteck

Distinguished
This one - ($529) OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G.M has
Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 560 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 510 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
Random 4k Read IOps: 90K IOPS
Random 4k Write IOps: 120K IOPS

While this one - ($616) Pny SSD9SC480GEDA-PB 480gb Prevail Elite has
Maximum Write Transfer Rate 520 MBps
Maximum Read Transfer Rate 550 MBps
Random IOPS: Up to 85,000

And this one - ($510) Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW480A310 has
Max Sequential Read Up to 550 MB/s (SATAIII)
Max Sequential Write Up to 520 MB/s (SATAIII)
But only
4KB Random Read Up to 50,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write Up to 42,000 IOPS.

That's why I'm asking. They are close on the read/write but the IOPS are big time different. As for the price??? It seems it's brand and size specific and not related to the iops.

I use the computer for gaming, video editing, CAD 3D drawing and some benchmarking, but only for fun.

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Another tip I would like to add is if you are doing video editing, cad 3d, don't use raid 0 if so buy 2 of them, if you are so unlucky, one defected drive and you are screwed. I'll recommend raid 5. (This is out of topic)

suteck

Distinguished
Two of these - "Don't worry about those, get the intel 520, ocz or samsung 840 pro and you are good to go." are in the above mentioned running, and that's why I'm asking about the IOPS, the intel is yuck on it and the OCZ has high numbers.

As for the raid? I'm only using 1 for the actual work. After each stage on the CAD it goes to save on a hdd and when editing is complete it also automatically goes to one of the many 2 TB hdd. No worrying about losing my data. Just looking for the fastest SSD drive, not counting pcie revo drives and the like.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Personally ssd drives make great server drives.. most people wont ever saturate the bandwidth though .. unless there using it for that.. like I have a revo drive 3 240 and as you know its a pci express drive .. to be honest i have never come any where near saturating that drive even when streaming media to 3 different locations in the house i would actually come closer to saturating the bandwidth of the eithernet cable before i would the drive. Im guessing.

IOPS = Input Output operations Per Second. Now with that said the ones that have the most MAX IOPS, Read IOPS and Write IOPS will be the fastest drives. You also need to figure in the controller on the drive also.

IOPS is different than Reads/Writes MB per second as you may already know so try not to get the two confused. With enough searching on the net you should be able to find enough benchmarks that will give you a good idea of each drives performance.

Solution

suteck

Distinguished
@ bgunner - that's pretty much what I was thinking. Looking at benchmarks now but I figure the OCZ vertex 4 is the way to go.

@ cravin - yeah haha that's for the 250/256 GB versions. I'm looking at the 480/512 GB. If you see one of the ones I mentioned for only $270 THEN you could please let me know???

cravin

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Ok turns out the $270 one was this
http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2013/02/27/samsung-840-500gb-ssd-279/
Special sale on amazon. Obviously the 840 isnt the fastest thing ever, but still for ~$.50 per gb its a pretty good deal. Most of them are at around $300-400
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-512GB-2-5-Inch-Solid-CT512M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL3Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362429146&sr=8-2&keywords=512ssd
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-SATAIII-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TD500BW/dp/B009NHAF3I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1362429146&sr=8-7&keywords=512ssd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147165
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71917&vpn=AGT4-25SAT3-512G&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology
Not sure if these are just crappy ssds, but most of them (other than maybe the vertex 4 or 840 pro) are under $500.

suteck

Distinguished
@ cravin - I checked all the products with the links you provided and they're not quite up to snuff (my opinion). They are by no means crappy but they don't seem to have the best read/write speeds or IOPS. But thanks for looking so hard and providing the links.

@ MC_K7 - I have almost the same one listed, just the 480GB version but again, the IOPS seems to be less than the vertex ssd and that's why I wanted to know if it would make a difference.

I think I'm going to get the vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G.M as it seems to have the highest combination of read/write and IOPS.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.