XFX ATI RADEON HD 5830 Not detected

G

Hi.

I just bought this new adapter to install in a brand new machine. When I power the machine on I get no signal from the new card, and find the onboard Graphics adapter is still enabled. (The BIOS has an option for display priority, and PCI-E is the first/highest )

I switched the graphics adapter across to an older machine and the card failed in that too.

The graphics adapter from the old machine worked fine in the new one.

I was so confident that I had proved the graphics adapter to be faulty, that rather than wait for the reseller to replace, I bought another and will take a refund when the test results are back.

Now that I find my replacement Graphics adapter is exactly the same as the first, I am not so confident....

Have I just blown four hundred quid on 2 useless cards ?

I dont even get the BIOS screens BTW. Is there hope ?

Would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Hugh

G

Ok, I will do that this evening a bit more thoroughly when I have the boot screens etc.

The advert reads ...
-------------------------
CCL Advantage Excel Barebone
AMD High Level Solution!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz
MBD: AM3 / DDR3 / SATA
RAM: 4GB DDR2 Case: ATX Midi Tower
Pre-Assembled & Tested

-------------------------

I do not think the OS is relevant because, dont forget, the card is 'dead' from power-on. ie not even the bios displays.

The PSU is a 400W generic cheap-o-matic. I was advised this would be adequate. I was a touch sceptical about this at the time but I would still be surprised if a card could not even boot from it.

I have no other devices, apart from 1 SATA HDD and 1 SATA DVD-ROM.

The motherboard is ASUS (iirc).

leon2006

Distinguished