Worth Upgrading from 8GB to 16GB for me?

av8r

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I have a 2 year old HP oem i5-750 PC, and I do lot's of video editing and HD Blue ray ripping and compressing. I use AnydvdHd, BDrebuilder, ClownBD, and Pinnacle Studio 14Hd. No gaming. I'm using a Nvidea GT 430.

The RAM in my system is 8gb of PC3-10600 MB/sec and I run a 64 bit system so I can upgrade to 16gb of◦PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066) if I want. I don't mind spending the money, but of course I don't want to waste it if it won't make any difference. I do often have 2 or more processes going at the same time.

I am also considering building a whole new system because of the lack of speed and minor delays I'm running in to, but the same question applies. Will it make a noticeable difference for my needs?

Solution
Sandybridge would require a new motherboard so it would cost a fair bit. Its a great CPU, you would see 20% performance gain with a i5 2500k and that much more when you overclock it.
But with Ivybridge around the corner you might want to wait to see how the next generation compared.

Jaquith
I am curiou,s how do you find about the quality of transcoding with CUDA/Quicksync?

Cause the only experience I had with them is rather poor. Really bad artifacts. So I am now sticking with Handbrake and CPU transcoding. 25min to transcode a 2hour movie into 480p for ipod is not bad and near the performance I got with CUDA and Quicksync.
Sure more RAM always 'helps' IF you're 'Used Physical Memory' is running >75% then it's time for more. IF those apps are using the GPU to render then a new GPU might be advantageous.

Otherwise the new Sandy Bridge can greatly accelerate MPEG-2/4/H.264 files, but only on applications with native or plug-in support. The acceleration is nearly twice as fast, in some applications even more.

QuickSync - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/9

QuickSync only helps in the 'creation' not 'stealing' (ripping) of MPEG-2/4/H.264 files.

Partial list of supported Applications accelerated by QuickSync - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html

Arcsoft MediaConverter*
Arcsoft MediaImpression*
Badaboom Media Converter*
Corel Digital Studio*
CyberLink MediaEspresso*
CyberLink PowerDirector*
MainConcept*
Movavi Video Converter*
Roxio Creator*

av8r

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It sounds like the 16gb is not going to help me. I'll have to do more research to see if my apps can take advantage of Sandy Bridge. BTW, by ripping, I mean backing up my existing Blue Rays to my HDD to stream to my media player so I don't have to mess with the discs. I've lost enough discs to rough handling by the kids, and I love the way I can now browse thru thumbnails on my TV screen, and choose the movie we want to watch.

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Sandybridge would require a new motherboard so it would cost a fair bit. Its a great CPU, you would see 20% performance gain with a i5 2500k and that much more when you overclock it.
But with Ivybridge around the corner you might want to wait to see how the next generation compared.

Jaquith
I am curiou,s how do you find about the quality of transcoding with CUDA/Quicksync?

Cause the only experience I had with them is rather poor. Really bad artifacts. So I am now sticking with Handbrake and CPU transcoding. 25min to transcode a 2hour movie into 480p for ipod is not bad and near the performance I got with CUDA and Quicksync.

Solution
I haven't tried QuickSync, but CUDA was fine. There are all sorts of reason for artifacts and if I did a frame-by-frame analyse them I'm certain I'd find some.

For 'iPhone/iPad' I cannot recall seeing (noticing) any. There are plenty of transcoding articles at Tom's showing the differences. How I do it all depends on the purpose aka end product. I am not by any means an expert, I use Adobe Premiere for home 'movies' and then I am more concerned about quality of HD output; in contrast 'iPhone/iPad' my concerns are time with 'good enough' quality.

link - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/video-transcoding-amd-app-nvidia-cuda-intel-quicksync,2839-9.html
link - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/9

av8r

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll wait a till next year, and build an Ivy Bridge system. That will likely give me the most bang for the buck.

I purchased a lifetime plan of AnyDVDHD, and I use BDRebuilder to compress. I don't even compress to the higher qualities and the backup/copies are absolutely perfect. I can't tell the difference between them and the originals on my 65" TV. I'm sure DVDFab is just as good. The rips take about 45 minutes, but the compression takes about 2 hours.