Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Build Fails Prime95 within Minutes

Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2011 5:38:09 PM

Just created new build on Windows 7 x64. Everything runs fine under normal use, except Starcraft 2 crashes (and goes back to Windows) about once every 3 hours.

When I was shutting down the PC a few days ago, I got a blue screen error. That's when I decided to run some tests. I'm running an Athlon II X4 640 on a ASUS M4A87TD/USB3. I didn't have time to run extensive tests, but will be able to run a few tonight. Just wanted some feedback in hopes that I will not have to spend so much time finding the cause of the errors.

Running Futuremark11 gave me blue-screen error the first time, but has passed the 2nd and 3rd times, so I don't believe it is a GPU or GPU driver problem.

I get blue screen errors within minutes of running Prime95. I was monitoring temps via SpeedFan and found that PC would crash when CPU was around 60C degrees. PC has crashed 9/9 times of running Prime95.

Here is the blue screen errors I pulled via Event Viewer:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor ID: 0"

It looks to be a CPU problem, but judging by the temps, I don't think it is due to overheating or improper seating. It could be a RAM memory problem, but windows 7 ram diagnostic came up clean. I don't it is a power supply issue because i'm running a Corsair 650W, and my GPU is only a GTX 460 786MB. I'm only running one harddrive, one DVD optical drive, and one internal memory card reader.

Any help would be apprciated.
February 15, 2011 7:41:40 PM

Check your RAM. My new sandy bridge build was doing this and it was the MFing ram stick that thought 2+2 = 22.

download memtest and see what's up.
Score
a c 127 à CPUs
February 16, 2011 12:36:15 AM

I would like the full specs but a off the top of my head suggestion is that it is memory.

In fact, I would bet the BIOS is not setting the voltage and timings to the correct specs. I had the same issue with my current build, although under Vista. Everything would run fine but load up a game and it would crash and restart.

Once I set the voltages to their specified voltage, they worked like a charm. I was even able to lower their timings one step too.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 12:40:25 AM

Windows has a memory diagnostic that you can switch on while its booting, find it and run it. If it fails, then you have a memory issue. Also another way, that is quicker, test each RAM stick individually on the motherboard and run Prime95 for each. If there is a problem for each, try another slot. If it is the slot, you need to rma your motherboard. hopefully its just an individual stick!
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 10:59:56 AM

Question: What stop code is being reported when you bluescreen?
Score
February 24, 2011 6:37:38 PM

Best answer selected by charlie310.
Score
February 24, 2011 6:38:34 PM

Computerrock1 said:
Windows has a memory diagnostic that you can switch on while its booting, find it and run it. If it fails, then you have a memory issue. Also another way, that is quicker, test each RAM stick individually on the motherboard and run Prime95 for each. If there is a problem for each, try another slot. If it is the slot, you need to rma your motherboard. hopefully its just an individual stick!

Resetting the BIOS to default fixed it. Now I can run Prime95 indefinately. Thanks.
Score
a c 100 à CPUs
March 4, 2011 2:59:45 AM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
!