LCD Image off center (IBM Thinkpad T21)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 29, 2005 8:05:06 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

my Thinkpad T21 started to show the folowing behaviour:
Sometimes the desktop is not centered on the LCD, it's position
appears about 200 pixels down and to the right. The problem show up as
soon as the machine is turned on (during the POST). It doesn't have to
boot windows. For a while all I had to do was shutdown and boot again
and the problem went away but now it's worst.
I don't believe it related to display settings in Windows or in the
BIOS because the problems comes and goes without changes in them.
My resolution is 1024x768x32. I tryed others but it doesn't matter -
the top left corner is always far down and to the right from were it
was supposed to be.

I got the impression that if I opened and closed the doors on the
docking port it would help but I'm not sure anymore.

Anyone can give me a clue about what I can do to solve the problem?

TIA,
Jorge
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 3:35:03 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Take off the keyboard and re-seat the video cable.
Do this with the machine UNPLUGGED from power.

On 29 Jan 2005 05:05:06 -0800, jpaulo@meganet.pt (Jorge) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>my Thinkpad T21 started to show the folowing behaviour:
>Sometimes the desktop is not centered on the LCD, it's position
>appears about 200 pixels down and to the right. The problem show up as
>soon as the machine is turned on (during the POST). It doesn't have to
>boot windows. For a while all I had to do was shutdown and boot again
>and the problem went away but now it's worst.
>I don't believe it related to display settings in Windows or in the
>BIOS because the problems comes and goes without changes in them.
>My resolution is 1024x768x32. I tryed others but it doesn't matter -
>the top left corner is always far down and to the right from were it
>was supposed to be.
>
>I got the impression that if I opened and closed the doors on the
>docking port it would help but I'm not sure anymore.
>
>Anyone can give me a clue about what I can do to solve the problem?
>
>TIA,
>Jorge
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 2:41:09 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

I had the same problem (T21 kept on booting to wrong resolution, and
occassinally to the correct one). You got it exactly right, the video
cable was half detached from the board, and re-attaching it solved the
problem.

Thanks a lot!

Oskari

Bruce Markowitz wrote:
> Take off the keyboard and re-seat the video cable.
> Do this with the machine UNPLUGGED from power.
>
> On 29 Jan 2005 05:05:06 -0800, jpaulo@meganet.pt (Jorge) wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>my Thinkpad T21 started to show the folowing behaviour:
>>Sometimes the desktop is not centered on the LCD, it's position
>>appears about 200 pixels down and to the right. The problem show up as
>>soon as the machine is turned on (during the POST). It doesn't have to
>>boot windows. For a while all I had to do was shutdown and boot again
>>and the problem went away but now it's worst.
>>I don't believe it related to display settings in Windows or in the
>>BIOS because the problems comes and goes without changes in them.
>>My resolution is 1024x768x32. I tryed others but it doesn't matter -
>>the top left corner is always far down and to the right from were it
>>was supposed to be.
>>
>>I got the impression that if I opened and closed the doors on the
>>docking port it would help but I'm not sure anymore.
>>
>>Anyone can give me a clue about what I can do to solve the problem?
>>
>>TIA,
>>Jorge

Related resources
February 5, 2005 8:25:46 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi Bruce,

Thank you very much, this also worked for me.

Best regards,
Jorge

scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) wrote in message news:<41fc2b99.2465715@news-server.optonline.net>...
> Take off the keyboard and re-seat the video cable.
> Do this with the machine UNPLUGGED from power.
>
> On 29 Jan 2005 05:05:06 -0800, jpaulo@meganet.pt (Jorge) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >my Thinkpad T21 started to show the folowing behaviour:
> >Sometimes the desktop is not centered on the LCD, it's position
> >appears about 200 pixels down and to the right. The problem show up as
> >soon as the machine is turned on (during the POST). It doesn't have to
> >boot windows. For a while all I had to do was shutdown and boot again
> >and the problem went away but now it's worst.
> >I don't believe it related to display settings in Windows or in the
> >BIOS because the problems comes and goes without changes in them.
> >My resolution is 1024x768x32. I tryed others but it doesn't matter -
> >the top left corner is always far down and to the right from were it
> >was supposed to be.
> >
> >I got the impression that if I opened and closed the doors on the
> >docking port it would help but I'm not sure anymore.
> >
> >Anyone can give me a clue about what I can do to solve the problem?
> >
> >TIA,
> >Jorge
October 27, 2013 7:02:43 AM

Hi can you show me a picture on where is the video cable? i reseated all the possible cables after removing the keyboard.. i think i found four
!