Cold Processor= Dead Processor?

Oolawloo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
After I finished rebuilding my old system, I didn't get any video display or keyboard lights so I decided to remove the heatsink to check out the processor (The video card is tested to be good) so I turned on my system without the processor heat sink for about 10 seconds then felt the processor with the computer still running and noticed it was still ice cold. Does this mean my processor is dead? Or could it be the mobo or PSU having trouble getting power to the processor. Yes my 4 pin PSU is plugged in.

Also there are no beep codes coming from my mobo, even with no RAM inserted to the computer. I have an internal speaker plugged in so this is another reason I think my CPU is defective.

Check your RAM most common problem when it comes to no video is usually a RAM problem. Try each stick individually in each slot to see if you can get it to boot. Also never start the PC without the heatsink on the processor it does not take long to fry a processor it can happen literally in just a minute.

If your motherboard has on board graphics try and start it with just them and not the video card.

Oolawloo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I already checked my RAM, and the board is brand new....My old mobo just went out and this problem came up after replacing it. The PSU is suppling at least some power to the CPU because the heat sinks fans are spinning (Am I wrong about this?) I think my CPU may of gone out with the mobo, there was a lot of burning smells when it died.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
It looks a crappy generic PSU that dozens of OEMs use and they just slap their stickers on it.

But if you say it worked fine before the reassemble then you probably messed up with static, if you touch any unprotected parts of the cpu or motherboard while having a considerable amount of static on your hands then it's probably that what happened

Oolawloo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Yes the PSU worked great before the original mobo went out so unless the PSU failed at the same time as the mobo it works fine. Also, I know it was static electricity since I was very careful to discharge all static before handling anything. My theory is that the CPU died when my old mobo went out, there was a lot of burning smells (I thought somebody left something on the stove downstairs) before the computer shut itself off. So I think the CPU may of burned out. Orginally I thought the burning smell came from the blown capacitors on the mobo.

Also there are no beep codes coming from my mobo, even with no RAM inserted to the computer. I have an internal speaker plugged in so this is another reason I think my CPU is defective.