Network bandwidth crippled by video games?

I built a new system this week, but I'm running into a problem. Whenever I run a video game my network bandwidth is driven into the ground. I can still run a ping, but can't move any data. Here is my configuration:

Windows 7 64-bit
Phenom II X4 965
Asrock M3A770DE 770/710
Sapphire HD 5770
Rosewill RNX G300LX b/g PCI wireless card (Ralink RT2561 chip)
Coolermaster RS500-PCARA3-US 500w PSU

I currently have two theories:

1) when the graphics card is stressed, its voltage goes from 0.95V to 1.125V (according to AMD Overdrive), so the wireless card isn't getting enough juice. The only other devices are the HD and DVD drive.

I've noticed that the CPU is receiving quite a bit more voltage than what is set in the BIOS. E.g., the mobo's default VID is 1.4, but at load the CPU was drawing 1.464 according to CPU-Z. I've lowered the BIOS setting so that at 3.4GHz, the CPU is receiving closer to 1.4V. Since AMD Overdrive apparently only shows the BIOS settings for CPU voltage, maybe that is true of the GPU voltage as well and it's actually drawing more power than what's reported?

2) There is something really dumb with the win7 scheduling system that puts all the video game/graphics operations ahead of the network operations.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about network bandwidth crippled video games
  1. Here's my 2 cents:
    1.Your're using a bad Wifi
    2.Cooler Master PSUs (like the eXtreme line have fake wattage) are crap so that might be a factor.
  2. Is that wireless chip known to be crappy or are you saying that based on my situation?

If I replace my PSU, would the 80 Plus certification be a good indicator of overall quality? There are tons of PSU brands out there and this is my first build. I've tried to save as much money as possible by buying the cheapest parts I can without sacrificing functionality or a certain performance threshold. If this is indeed a hardware issue, then I've obviously sacrficed functionality.

Is Raidmax a decent PSU brand? RAIDMAX RX-500AF 500W is 80 Plus Bronze certified and is available on Newegg for $49.99, $10 more than I paid for this PSU. I would really like to keep the PSU budget below $50 if possible.
  3. farruinn said:
    Is that wireless chip known to be crappy or are you saying that based on my situation?

If I replace my PSU, would the 80 Plus certification be a good indicator of overall quality? There are tons of PSU brands out there and this is my first build. I've tried to save as much money as possible by buying the cheapest parts I can without sacrificing functionality or a certain performance threshold. If this is indeed a hardware issue, then I've obviously sacrficed functionality.

Is Raidmax a decent PSU brand? RAIDMAX RX-500AF 500W is 80 Plus Bronze certified and is available on Newegg for $49.99, $10 more than I paid for this PSU. I would really like to keep the PSU budget below $50 if possible.

NO!NO!NO!
    Dont get a Raidmax PSU! Look at Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, etc.
    Look at this site fir review:
    Johnyguru:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/
    Hardware Secrets:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/

As for the Wifi card you might want to ask the users over a networking because I really sont know *** about networks other then what the bars mean (sorry).
  4. Ok, thanks for the excellent help!
  5. Actually, here's an important question. My motherboard has the option for a 4-pin or an 8 (2x4-pin) CPU power connector. Does the Phenom II X4 965 only require one perhaps? I have both plugged in now, should it only be one?
  6. farruinn said:
    Actually, here's an important question. My motherboard has the option for a 4-pin or an 8 (2x4-pin) CPU power connector. Does the Phenom II X4 965 only require one perhaps? I have both plugged in now, should it only be one?

No both or one are good I have a 955 when the guy that built it for me had finished I noticed that he only plugged the 4pin connector in. I used it for weeks before I noticed but when I did notice it I plugged the 8 pin in. Say is there a lot of walls and objects between you Wifi and your PC? Could you plug your Ethernet in the wall for a few hours to see if it works better because it could be the PCI card or the modem (my friend could not stream 480p trough Wifi until he got a new modem). Always have both if you overclock your CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems