Dual Card Assistance needed!

G

Hoi lads.

I am not some freak with PCs but lately i have been looking on options for tuning up my little devil with an extra graph card and some RAM coz im going into video editing.

I have an

ASUS M2N32 SLI DELUXE Motherboard

and

Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT Graphic Card

Now im looking to add another Graphic card to the 2nd grap slot on my motherboard but with my limited hardware knowledge so far they told me that apart from putting an identical model of Graphic card i can use one with the same "GPU"? due to the fact that 7950s are kinda rare to find and used ones are quite pricy so if anyone has knowledge on which Graph card i can use that would work like a charm on my PC please send me a reply.

If needed i can post the full system specs aswell.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Yes, we'll need some full specs, including:
CPU, Power Supply, RAM (model, speed, total GB), OS

And what you were told pertains to SLi. SLi is when you have two Nvidia cards working in sync to do whatever you want it to do: Play games, edit videos, etc. Essentially, having two video cards doing the work together, splitting the load if you will.

Unfortunately, what that means is that you need two of the same card. So you can't SLi a 7950 with a GTX 460, it just won't work. You need to have two of the same card, and I believe in the older model instances, you even had to have two of the same manufacturer (IE: Two EVGA's instead of 1 EVGA and 1 Palit, even though they were the same card, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's right).

Btw, GPU stands for Graphical Processing Unit, or your video card's CPU in a sense.

No, you are wrong. I used to run an Asus 7900GT with an XFX7900GT in SLi and they didn't even have the same default clockspeeds.