Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE BIOS Temp

Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2011 7:36:54 PM

Just got done finishing a build and after booting up the BIOS to check the H/W monitor I saw that my CPU temp is at 40oC and the cpu fan is constantly running around 3700-4000 rpms. Would this be considered normal for the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE using the stock heatsink? Also, the CPU voltage seems a bit high at 1.416v, do you guys think I would benefit at all from undervolting that a bit?

Thanks in advance.
February 15, 2011 8:52:39 PM

Mine runs around 36-39 idle so yeah yours sounds fine.
My voltage is ~1.42v so you're fine there too.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 9:09:50 PM

Depends on your ambient temp, but generally it's fine and the BIOS temp is usually a few degrees hotter (3-5c) than the actual core temps, which is what really matters.
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2011 9:14:53 PM

wiinippongamer said:
Depends on your ambient temp, but generally it's fine and the BIOS temp is usually a few degrees hotter (3-5c) than the actual core temps, which is what really matters.

Ambient temp is 20 celsius, how much higher than ambient temp is ideal?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 9:22:41 PM

It's pretty good actually, using cool n' quiet "which is enabled by default it should only be 4-5c over ambient temp, under load it should be somewhere from 35-40c over ambient.

You should consider getting an aftermarket cooler to compensate for the high ambient temps, 75c under full load for a phenom II is pretty high, that or put some AC.
February 15, 2011 9:53:34 PM

wiinippongamer said:
It's pretty good actually, using cool n' quiet "which is enabled by default it should only be 4-5c over ambient temp, under load it should be somewhere from 35-40c over ambient.

You should consider getting an aftermarket cooler to compensate for the high ambient temps, 75c under full load for a phenom II is pretty high, that or put some AC.

Alright awesome, thanks. One more question, is my system temperature of any use in this instance? I'm getting a 34-35 degree celsius reading for the system temp.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 11:04:28 PM

If by system temperature you mean airflow temperature inside the case then it means the case has plenty of cooling because the inside isn't any hotter than the outside.
m
l
February 16, 2011 1:27:38 AM

Alright heres an update, I decided that before I go out and buy a new cooler that I would try applying some quality thermal paste (arctic silver 5). So I booted up the h/w monitor in the bios again after applying the compound and it shaved 3-4 degrees celsius off of the cpu temp. BUT much to my dismay after a couple minutes of running in the bios the cpu fan speed is now flying at 5300rpms! Can someone please tell me what might be causing the fan to be going that fast? Poor application of the thermal compound maybe?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 2:36:57 AM

make sure the 4-pin plug on the fan is connectec right, and that the cpu fan is set to auto on the BIOS.
m
l
February 16, 2011 2:50:16 AM

wiinippongamer said:
make sure the 4-pin plug on the fan is connectec right, and that the cpu fan is set to auto on the BIOS.

I can confirm that both the 4pin plug on the fan is connected and that the cpu fan is set to auto. I can now also rule out too much thermal compound as I just removed and reapplied it with less and I'm keeping the same 36 degree bios temp along with the 5300 rpm fan speed. :S

Do you think it would just be best to go ahead and get an aftermarket cooler?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 7:37:41 PM

Going to an aftermarket cooler is always the best option, though not mandatory, it'll be much quieter and cooler thus considerably increase the lifespan of your cpu.

As a solution to the high fan speed try resetting the CMOS by taking out the mobo battery for about an hour then put it back in, also try updating the BIOS to the latest version.
m
l
February 17, 2011 4:47:58 PM

Best answer selected by tank0991.
m
l
!