Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help me choose my motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2011 11:29:39 PM

I am looking out for a new desktop. I will mostly use it to browse, watch movies, & listen to music. Maybe 5% gaming (Very Rare to once in a while gamer).
I currently have a single core P4. I would like my new PC to last a while than upgrade in a couple of years. I have a Marantz Receiver & I intend to connecting the PC to a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV, via the receiver. No plans/desire for multi-monitor.

Kindly advise and help me choose an appropriate processor & motherboard. (I was looking at 2500 / 2500K processor)

More about : choose motherboard

a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2011 11:43:13 PM

How much money do you want to spend?

the 2500k is surely the better choice, motherboard wise you can simply go with any half decent p67 or better board.
m
l
October 20, 2011 7:55:57 AM

welshmousepk said:
How much money do you want to spend?

the 2500k is surely the better choice, motherboard wise you can simply go with any half decent p67 or better board.

Thanks for the reply. Would prefer one to cost less than the processor. Lesser the better. I can afford upto one priced at P8Z68 V Pro, only if I would really need it.

1. Whats your reasoning to recommend the unlocked k version. In what way would it be a better choice for me?
2. Any specific reason you recommend a P67 over a Z68 for my use?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 8:49:00 AM

The 2500k is unlocked, and its very easy to get a huge deal more performance for the minor increase in cost. Mine is at 4.5ghz with a small scythe samurai cooler with an 80mm fan.

i wasn't necessarily recommending a p67 over a z68, just saying not to bother with a h67 board.

z68 is good, but i don't really see any reason to get one unless it costs the same or less for all the same stuff.

i would recommend one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

not too expensive, and all the features you could really ask for.

chuck in a decent low end GPU and you have a very nice rig with great overclocking potential.
October 20, 2011 5:58:11 PM

welshmousepk said:
The 2500k is unlocked, and its very easy to get a huge deal more performance for the minor increase in cost. Mine is at 4.5ghz with a small scythe samurai cooler with an 80mm fan.

i wasn't necessarily recommending a p67 over a z68, just saying not to bother with a h67 board.

z68 is good, but i don't really see any reason to get one unless it costs the same or less for all the same stuff.

i would recommend one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

not too expensive, and all the features you could really ask for.

chuck in a decent low end GPU and you have a very nice rig with great overclocking potential.

I did some quick reading to understand what features this motherboard has. It seems to have a lot more than I might need today :) .
The TPU switch is kool. I now see why you recommended the k version. One button and I get a 1 Gig bump with air cooling. (is an additional fan required for this?)

I also checked out the prices in my country. Correct me if I missed something here.
The above P67 requires a graphics card. The Z68 has on board graphics. So Price of P8P67 PRO + 1GB HD 6450 is same as P8Z68 V Pro without a graphics card. Am I not better off with the latter - Z68?

Based on what shd I go for external graphics?
I barely do gaming, I might do a little now which could be like 5-15% usage. (Not even aware of what games even exist, baring a couple of names like NFS, God of War, Prince of Persia (PS2) :D  ). Leaning towards the Z68 V Pro without a graphics card.

Edit:
I intend to watch quite a bit non HD content on a 50" HD panel. Is there is a way/tool to upscale much better than what the TV (panasonic 50V20D) does. I could achieve using the PC and some advanced upscaler or so.
m
l
October 20, 2011 8:44:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.
But this dosent work out for me as I live in India, and I have to consider warranty too. So I will get it from here itself, but I need to choose the right pieces :) 
m
l
October 20, 2011 8:54:36 PM

You're watching movies, listening to music, and browsing the web. I wouldn't even go the Intel route. You sure don't need a 2500k. I would save some money and go for a mid-range AMD CPU and motherboard.
m
l
October 20, 2011 9:16:03 PM

roscolo said:
You're watching movies, listening to music, and browsing the web. I wouldn't even go the Intel route. You sure don't need a 2500k. I would save some money and go for a mid-range AMD CPU and motherboard.

Which would be more future proof? Like last 5+ years. Longer the better? Rather than upgrade in 3 years frm now
We do play a few games once in a while. With a new 50" TV things could change :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2011 11:33:53 AM

If you plan to do ANY gaming whatsoever, I would recommend going with a discrete card. A p67 board and a 6450 would offer better gaming performance than using integrated. but if you could scrape a little more cash and get a 6670 you have way more options.
m
l
October 23, 2011 8:00:00 PM

Best answer selected by ShaQBlogs2011.
m
l
!