Help me choose my motherboard

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I am looking out for a new desktop. I will mostly use it to browse, watch movies, & listen to music. Maybe 5% gaming (Very Rare to once in a while gamer).
I currently have a single core P4. I would like my new PC to last a while than upgrade in a couple of years. I have a Marantz Receiver & I intend to connecting the PC to a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV, via the receiver. No plans/desire for multi-monitor.

Kindly advise and help me choose an appropriate processor & motherboard. (I was looking at 2500 / 2500K processor)

Solution
The 2500k is unlocked, and its very easy to get a huge deal more performance for the minor increase in cost. Mine is at 4.5ghz with a small scythe samurai cooler with an 80mm fan.

i wasn't necessarily recommending a p67 over a z68, just saying not to bother with a h67 board.

z68 is good, but i don't really see any reason to get one unless it costs the same or less for all the same stuff.

i would recommend one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703

not too expensive, and all the features you could really ask for.

chuck in a decent low end GPU and you have a very nice rig with great overclocking potential.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Would prefer one to cost less than the processor. Lesser the better. I can afford upto one priced at P8Z68 V Pro, only if I would really need it.

1. Whats your reasoning to recommend the unlocked k version. In what way would it be a better choice for me?
2. Any specific reason you recommend a P67 over a Z68 for my use?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
The 2500k is unlocked, and its very easy to get a huge deal more performance for the minor increase in cost. Mine is at 4.5ghz with a small scythe samurai cooler with an 80mm fan.

i wasn't necessarily recommending a p67 over a z68, just saying not to bother with a h67 board.

z68 is good, but i don't really see any reason to get one unless it costs the same or less for all the same stuff.

i would recommend one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703

not too expensive, and all the features you could really ask for.

chuck in a decent low end GPU and you have a very nice rig with great overclocking potential.

Solution

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

I did some quick reading to understand what features this motherboard has. It seems to have a lot more than I might need today :).
The TPU switch is kool. I now see why you recommended the k version. One button and I get a 1 Gig bump with air cooling. (is an additional fan required for this?)

I also checked out the prices in my country. Correct me if I missed something here.
The above P67 requires a graphics card. The Z68 has on board graphics. So Price of P8P67 PRO + 1GB HD 6450 is same as P8Z68 V Pro without a graphics card. Am I not better off with the latter - Z68?

Based on what shd I go for external graphics?
I barely do gaming, I might do a little now which could be like 5-15% usage. (Not even aware of what games even exist, baring a couple of names like NFS, God of War, Prince of Persia (PS2) :D ). Leaning towards the Z68 V Pro without a graphics card.

Edit:
I intend to watch quite a bit non HD content on a 50" HD panel. Is there is a way/tool to upscale much better than what the TV (panasonic 50V20D) does. I could achieve using the PC and some advanced upscaler or so.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion.
But this dosent work out for me as I live in India, and I have to consider warranty too. So I will get it from here itself, but I need to choose the right pieces :)

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
You're watching movies, listening to music, and browsing the web. I wouldn't even go the Intel route. You sure don't need a 2500k. I would save some money and go for a mid-range AMD CPU and motherboard.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Which would be more future proof? Like last 5+ years. Longer the better? Rather than upgrade in 3 years frm now
We do play a few games once in a while. With a new 50" TV things could change :)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
If you plan to do ANY gaming whatsoever, I would recommend going with a discrete card. A p67 board and a 6450 would offer better gaming performance than using integrated. but if you could scrape a little more cash and get a 6670 you have way more options.