Western Digital Black or Red ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanchu

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I have a Desktop PC which runs 24/7. I currently use Western Digital Green Drive but its not design for 24/7. I am not a Gamer but I mostly Download and Seed Movie Torrents 24/7 from my Desktop PC for Good Ratio on Private Torrent Sites. I want to Purchase a Western Digital Hard Drive but I am confused between the Black and Red.

The Black comes with 5 years of Warranty and Red comes with 3 years of Warranty.

The Black spin at 7200 RPM & Red Drives spin at 5400 RPM.

The Red Drive are designed exclusively for NAS devices but can i use them in My Desktop PC for 24/7 ?

I want a Hard Drive only for Storage, Seeding & Downloading Movies, watching Movies & which is Reliable and works 24/7.

Which Hard Drive Should I Buy Western Digital Black or Western Digital Red ?

Solution
WD Red specifically for home and small office NAS systems and PCs with RAID, designed and tested for compatibility in the unique 24x7 operating environment and demanding system requirements of home and small office NAS.

* NASware technology improves NAS storage performance by reducing common hard drive concerns in NAS systems including concerns for things like compatibility, integration, upgrade ability, reliability and cost of ownership that are experienced with a hard drive designed for desktop computers.

WD Black are designed for enthusiasts and creative professionals looking for leading-edge performance and dynamic caching algorithm improves performance in real time by optimizing cache allocation between reads and writes. For...

qewee

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
WD Red specifically for home and small office NAS systems and PCs with RAID, designed and tested for compatibility in the unique 24x7 operating environment and demanding system requirements of home and small office NAS.

* NASware technology improves NAS storage performance by reducing common hard drive concerns in NAS systems including concerns for things like compatibility, integration, upgrade ability, reliability and cost of ownership that are experienced with a hard drive designed for desktop computers.

WD Black are designed for enthusiasts and creative professionals looking for leading-edge performance and dynamic caching algorithm improves performance in real time by optimizing cache allocation between reads and writes. For example, if there's an overwhelming percentage of read traffic as opposed to write traffic, the drive automatically allocates more cache for read data, which reduces congestion and improves overall drive performance.

So, For using 24/7 and Server works! Red is your choice

Solution

billyhow

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

WD doesn't say the rpm is 5400, the rpm is "IntelliPower" which may mean variable speed.
FYI I just replaced a WD Black 500GB in my Win8 Media Center PC with a WD Red 2TB; that was a bad move! Now there are vast delays in responses where the machine seems to be out-to-lunch. It comes back to work, but it takes Minutes, not just seconds to respond sometimes.
The drive is quiet; copying multi-GB files from an inner to outer partition makes no noise with my ear on the drive. However, the copy rate is only 30+ MBs per second, slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.