Closed Solved

Gateway DX4320-01e Graphics Upgrade

Hello,
What kind of card upgrade is possible for Gateway DX4320-01e, with and without a power upgrade.
There doesn't seem to be alot of room in there. Presently there is a NVIDIA GeForce 315 card with 512MB dedicated memory and a 300W power supply. I have seen, what seems to be better cards, matched with 300W in Gateways, on their site; but the card makers list 400W as a minimum. What's up with that? Also, can your GPU overmatch your CPU. The CPU is a AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core 945.

Pres
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gateway dx4320 graphics upgrade
  1. Best answer
    Hi Preston,
    Nice CPU.
    Do you have a standard case (that mounts a standard ATX power supply)?
    If so, you're upgradeable - but you may not have to get a new PSU.
    Assuming (since your CPU is recent) that you have a normal PCI-E vidcard slot, you could run an nVidia GT240 or an ATI HD5670 without PSU problems.
    But you can buy a beautiful PSU, something name-brand like OCZ StealthXStream 450W with Active PFC, for only $50 bucks and get a much better quality of power than no-name low-watt PSU.
    If you want hi-resolution modern games you'll need GTX460 1GB and a new PSU, $300 bucks.
    But a 240 or 5670 are only $100 bucks and will plug right in - it's your call.
    Regards
  2. The case is a mini-tower and I'm not sure of PSU type. I've seem
    other gateway mini-towers, on their site, and they have 300W PSUs and better cards; cards that the cardmaker lists at 400Ws minimum. Will this power shortage effect the cards perfomance?

Thanks for the info
  3. Next time,register before posting.
  4. Best answer selected by preston.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gateway Graphics