Wanting to upgrade from Nvidia 9500gs to Radeon 4850 or 5750

undr458

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the video card in my computer, unfortunately I don't understand much in the way of video cards and am having a hard time figuring out what would work with my setup and what wouldn't. I currently have an HP m9340f, which comes with an Nvidia 9500 gs...and it sucks. I was looking at getting either the 4850 or 5750 from Radeon, but I'm not sure which one or if either would even work in my computer. I have spent a bit searching on the internet, but I honestly don't understand half of what I'm reading. I dont' know if I will have to increase my PSU, I think it's currently at 350. From what I learned I'm pretty sure that the 5750 is what I'm looking for. If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Here is a link to HP's website that has the specs of my comp on it, don't know if it's needed or not.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01465973&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3740326

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi there,
Those two vidcards will offer similar performance, but one of them uses much less power, gives off less heat and therefore makes less noise.
It also offers DX11 (although you'd probably need 2 vidcards to properly run it).
The HD5750 would be a good choice for you, the 4850 is old tech.
If I didn't need DX11 I'd buy a GTS250 GeForce instead of a 4850, they're very affordable right now.
Personally I prefer nVidia driver software - ahhh, it's heaven.
I have both brands of vidcards and the ATIs are a pain.
Regards

ram1009

Distinguished

I agree completely with your assessment of ATI drivers. They have always been buggy and still are. I own a 5750 and it's the last ATI I'll ever buy. The difference was obvious immediately.

Timop

Distinguished

Not really, Nvidia drivers have its problems also.
ATI/AMD just needs some tinkering and the rule that "newer isn't better."

I just want to add that even though that PC with a 5750 would still be under 350W, I wouldn't trust that cheap OEM PSU to consistently supply the power your system would need. If it dies it could take out other parts of your system with it. So yeah, either get a new PSU with your card or just get a 5670 for now and save up some money

ram1009

Distinguished

Any product can have an occasional problem. With ATI drivers problems are the rule not the exception.

Timop

Distinguished

Really, How about the other 95% of ATI/AMD users that are happy and not complaining?
Don't generalize something just because you had a bad experience.

undr458

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Wow, thanks for all the replies, great info! : )
So it's either the 5750 or GTS250? Definitely sounds like an upgraded PSU is in order then, any recommended brands? I appreciate all the quick responses.

I've seen it mentioned in a recent THG article that ATi's drivers can be problematic so it's not just the one or two people moaning about them because they had a bad experience, their drivers and CCC package needs work period.