My second hard drive disappears

damohonda

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hello,
I've read about this problem on this forum and various others, but there wasn't an overall solution, and my problem seems slightly different..

The problem I have is with my 2nd Hard drive in windows. (Maxtor SATA 120GB) It’s something that started a few months (I think) after installing windows. It randomly disappears and can only be found after a restart or sometimes it might come back after sleep. I noticed that in the other forums, it disappeared during sleep.
It also disappears nearly all of the time If I try to copy something to the drive.
I never had this problem with Win XP.

I have tried everything they have suggested except for trying a new BIOS, (Although changing the BIOS still might not be the solution) I've emailed ASUS because it seems that they don't have a specific Win 7 bios:
I've
* changed cables
* Swapped cables
* downloaded a hotfix that didn’t work (wouldn't allow me to install)
* changed the hard disk from Idle after 20 minutes to Never.
* Changed the name of the Drive
* Tried different SATA Ports

Doesw anyone have a solution or ideas on how to fix it?
I can send you links to some of the forums if required.

My specs :
ASUS P5GD1-VM motherboard
P4 2.8 Cpu
4GB Ram (3.12 available)
2 X Maxtor Hard drives
Windows 7 32-bit OS

First test the drive to make sure it's not a drive fault. Test it with SeaTools for Windows. Click "Downloads" on this page: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

BIOS has nothing to do with OS. That's the whole point of the BIOS, to provide a way to communicate with the motherboard that's independent of what software will eventually run after startup. Without this, you'd have to reflash the BIOS every time you installed a new OS.

Aside from that, you may have luck screwing around with sleep settings in the BIOS. Don't really know with a board that old, though.

damohonda

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I've just tried that, My HDD is ok

damohonda

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Can you give me an idea of what I might have to do with the sleep settings?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Nope, I don't know your board, or what sleep settings were available at the time it was made. I just know that BIOS controls some sleep functions, and it's possible there's a bug or other weird interaction with your current BIOS and sleep in Win7. Things like this are pretty rare, but not impossible.

damohonda

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Changing sleep settings don't really make a difference... in fact whilst my drive disappeared, i put it to sleep and it came back again!!