Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp disconnects from windows 7

Last response: in Networking
May 26, 2010 9:09:02 AM

Hello,
I have a PC loaded with Windows 7 professional to act as a file server. 4 other PCs running windows 7 Pro and 2 running XP pro are linked to this "server" via mapped drives. Once a day the Windows XP pcs get kicked out from the server with a error:"Not enough server storage is available to process this command" I googled it and the solution was to change the IRPstackSize which I did but i am still receiving the same error. The Windows 7 PCs also disconnect occasionaly saying thatw e donot have permission to access mapped drives and the only way to get everything connected 100% again is to reboot the server which is now once or twice a day. Please can some1 offer a solution that does not require reloading the Windows 7 Server???
May 26, 2010 5:03:10 PM

After checking the Event Viewer System log in Windows 7, I found the following error:
Source: srv
Event ID: 2017
Level: Error
The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations.

I did some reseach on this ID and the "solution" was as follows:

Apparently you need to tell Windows 7 that you want to use the machine as a file server and that it should allocate resources accordingly. Set the following registry key to ‘1′:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

and set the following registry key to ‘3′:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size

I have made these changes and will let you guys know how it went!
Related resources
!