Underwater Digital

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 16, 2005 12:41:21 AM

Anyone in this group that is pursuing the underwater endeavor? I've been
playing with UW for about a year now, mostly during snorkeling trips to the
Florida Keys.

Walt

More about : underwater digital

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:41:22 AM

Walt wrote:
> Anyone in this group that is pursuing the underwater endeavor? I've been
> playing with UW for about a year now, mostly during snorkeling trips to the
> Florida Keys.
>
> Walt

I've been doing it for a few years while snorkeling in the Mexican Carri
bean. Most recently with a housed C5050.

Dave
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:41:22 AM

Walt wrote:
> Anyone in this group that is pursuing the underwater endeavor? I've been
> playing with UW for about a year now, mostly during snorkeling trips to the
> Florida Keys.
>
> Walt

I've been doing it for a few years while snorkeling in the Mexican
Caribbean. Most recently with a housed C5050.

Dave
January 16, 2005 2:05:35 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:41:21 GMT, "Walt"
<williamesw@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:

>Anyone in this group that is pursuing the underwater endeavor? I've been
>playing with UW for about a year now, mostly during snorkeling trips to the
>Florida Keys.
>
>Walt

Yes.

What do you want to know?

Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:14:45 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:41:21 GMT, Walt wrote:
> Anyone in this group that is pursuing the underwater endeavor? I've been
> playing with UW for about a year now, mostly during snorkeling trips to the
> Florida Keys.
>
> Walt

Yep. Been freediving with a digital camera on trips to Bonaire
and Anguilla for a couple of years now. My gear consists of a
Nikon CoolPix 2000 and an IkeLite underwater
housing:
http://ikelite.com/web_pages/cp2000.html

(For a decade or so before that, I dove with an IkeLite housing
that used disposable 35 MM flash camers:

http://ikelite.com/web_pages/aqs3.html )

Nice results at all depths from the surface down to 60-70 feet,
or more. Most of my `activity` (and most of the "interesting stuff")
occurs in about 10-40 feet. I'm happy with the camera -- as it seems
to happily take pictures _without_ firing the flash except in Very Low
light conditions. The housing was a hassle-- as IkeLite installed
a pushbutton on the housing for *every* damn button on the
camera:
http://ikelite.com/web_pages/cp2000big.html

Don't need most of'em under water. And, as a freediver, I don't
need the hassle of fixing some button I poked in error whilst
down at 30 feet. So, I replaced half or more of them with
threaded SS studs.

Latest 'experiments' have been photography while night diving.
Kewl. Whole 'nuther world out there at night!!

There's always the fear of messing up a nice trip by having the
camera go kah-kah on you. So, I bought a 'spare' CP 2000 off eBay.
That, alone, guarantees the 1st camera will never fail. :-)

HNY
Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:45:31 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:05:35 GMT,
spamPetespam@spamderwentspamelec.spamclara.spamco.spamuk (Pete S.)
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:41:21 GMT, "Walt"
><williamesw@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Anyone in this group that is pursuing the underwater endeavor? I've been
>>playing with UW for about a year now, mostly during snorkeling trips to the
>>Florida Keys.

I've been diving for the last 13 years, with a camera for 5 years.

I used to use a Nikon F90 in a Sea & Sea housing, but now I've gone
digital with a Fuji S2 in a Seacam housing.

I have 10.5mm, 20mm, 60mm lenses, that hide behind a 250mm dome port,
and a flat port for macro.

I have 2 x Sea & Sea 120 Duo strobes.

I have a spare camera body in case of floods and to keep my paranoia
happy.

I use 2 x IBM 1Gb CF2 microdrives. Shooting in RAW format, that's 80
shots per dive. A laptop with 30Gb drive. A PC at home running
Photoshop CS. An 80Gb external drive, again for my paranoia.

This combination, along with a reinforced dome port, works down to
125m. Thats 410 feet for the hard of sums.

I use a closed circuit rebreather with high helium mixes. No narcosis,
no bubbles. I can silently, and without bubbles, get very close to my
subjects.

All that, and my wife still insists on bringing some of her stuff on
holiday with her........ It's so unreasonable. Usual check in weight
at the airport is 80 to 90 kg.

Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:04:33 AM

williamesw@NOSPAMearthlink.net (Walt) wrote:
> Anyone in this group that is pursuing the underwater endeavor?
> I've been playing with UW for about a year now, mostly during
> snorkeling trips to the Florida Keys.

My Ewa-Marine soft bag just turned 2 years old; I use it for skindiving
(snorkeling depth to maybe 5 meters) here in Hawaii. Started out with
a 1.3-megapixel Canon PowerShot A50; when I broke that I upgraded to a
3-megapixel PowerShot S20 (same size).

I don't have a DSLR, a 30-meter-rated hard enclosure or SCUBA gear.

Yet.

Someday. :)

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology