Is my HDD Dying

andri3

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I builded a new computer 2 months ago and left from my old system only the PSU and the HDD , the pc worked fine untill last week when the writing and the reading speed of my HDD got unstable:
1. When i look in the task manager while installing a game it says that the hdd is in 100 % usage and the writing speed used is 10 times lower then the max speed its capable of.
2. While installing something or starting to download something with utorent (writing the file in the download section) im experiencing laging+freazing for few seconds/minutes.
3.When i install or start downloading something with utorrent theres a strange sound coming from the HDD , its like theres a fly buzzing in the computer case.
4.While watching movies sometimes im geting something like a lag and sound problems for 1-4 sec - it doesnt mater if its low quality or Full HD video

on this screenshot you can see how it looks like when i try to install something and the strange buzzing sound apears , the average response time gets even higher (3000-4000ms) and the read/wrte speed gets to 0 mb/s

When i switched from AHCI to IDE in the BIOS there was almost no difference

My parts are:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 1GB Sapphire with catalyst 13.2 installed
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX latest bios 1502
RAM: Kingston 4Gb 1600 Mhz
PSU: 400W
HDD: Samsung HD250HJ

moulderhere

Distinguished
I would download the Samsung hard drive diagnostic utility
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

and run a full scan.

I tend to think something is wrong with the drive. Back up all your data ASAP.

andri3

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
This program can't detect my HDD.

Actualy i hope the problem is from the HDD cause im going to buy a new 1 after a month wich will fix the issue i am having right now , but want to know for sure so i can get an portable HDD from a friend in order to backup my files.

moulderhere

Distinguished
Samsung said here: says that There diagnostic utility HUTIL is designed for your hard drive and will check it

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=42990&modelname=SV0411N&modelcode=&session_id=

You need to get HUTIL

alphysudaria143

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Thanks for sharing dude!

andri3

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

Um yeah i managed to test my HDD with it - its dying , i made a backup of my files and the only thing i need right now is a new HDD wich i hope im going to get by the end of the week (if i get lucky; by pointing to my family that the HDD is realy dying i reduced the time in wich ill get the new one :D) thanks!