Should I buy a new PSU for my new PC?

whatistaters

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I am currently selecting parts for a new PC I am building, and have an Antec EA-650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044&Tpk=ea-650) in my old box. It is about 3.5 yrs old and is kinda dusty. Should I get a new PSU (I plan to get a $1000 system with a high end graphics card and cpu), or would my old PSU be sufficient so long as the new comp does not need more than 650W?

whatistaters

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I just opened my computer case and blew out as much dust as possible w/my compressed air. Jaguarskx I didn't get a chance to read your post beforehand lol, but I did pull out some strands of dust.

Is there a way I can make sure it is living up to its 650W rating before I put it to test on a good new system? I'm afraid I'll get started in a game and *buzz crack pop* new system down the drain... Additionally, since my warranty on the PSU expires early this summer, I fear if something is going goes wrong I'll lose expensive parts of the system since PSU failures usually ruin things all around.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
The main benefit of good PSU's is that when they fail (which all will-eventually) they tend not to take out anything else with it. I wouldn't worry too much if it's a quality PSU, which people seem to think it is.