Windows 7 install with SSD Cache

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Please help.

I am at the end of my tether and on the brink of smashing up my laptop.

Dell Inspiron 14z 5423 P35G
32GB mSATA HDD
500GB HDD
8GB RAM

I want to install W7 64bit onto the 500GB HDD and use the 32GB as cache.

I have extensively read and tried every solution on every forum I can find. Still no success.

If anyone has very good knowledge of how to do this please contact me.

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Yes it but it came with W8 already setup with ISRT. It was enabled and working.
I need to use W7 because of certain driver issues.
I assure you ISRT technology (SATA caching) does work on this laptop.

RealBeast

Titan
Since this is a clean install of Windows 7, are you installing the F6 driver at the beginning of the Windows 7 install? I assume that you have selected the RAID SATA mode in the bios before starting. Other than that the guide COLGeek linked has all the necessary information, just use the latest IRST from December 2012 download from Intel.

Where is the process getting hung up, are you able to start the Windows 7 install?

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
The major problem is I cannot see the HDDs to install to. I have tried 'Load Driver' and used every possible combination of driver I can find. I generally get the message:

"To continue installation, use the Load Driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit drivers. Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported and might result in an unusable Windows installation."

I have attempted to get round this by pressing F8 and selecting the option to ignore warnings and install unsigned drivers. That didn't work.

I have also tried slipstreaming drivers into the installation but again received "recent change of hardware" errors.

In the BIOS I have tried every combination of Rapid Start enabled/disabled and yes RAID (Smart Response option?) is also enabled.

Please help.

Thanks.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?274398-Step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-SSD-caching-on-Z68

This will help you out. :bounce:

RealBeast

Titan
Have you enabled legacy boot in the bios?

Have you disabled Windows 8 secure boot, which is probably engaged since you bought a computer with 8 pre-installed? To find it, go to the Charms Bar in Windows 8 and select Settings -> Change PC Settings -> General -> Advanced Start Up. Then select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings.

edit: also under boot device in your bios, you need to use the ones that don't start with UEFI . . . .

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
jkhoward

Thanks. But I have already read this guide. I cannot perform step 3 in the procedure if I cannot see the drives.

RealBeast

In the BIOS, Legacy Boot is enabled. Secure Boot is also Disabled.

I would just like to make it clear once W7 is installed in the correct configuration and I can "get in" then I know what to do. I have set up SSD Caching on another system without problems.

RealBeast

Titan
So in the bios under your boot order, you have the actual legacy designation as the first drive and not the UEFI drive, right? If a UEFI drive is ahead of the non-UEFI designation for the same drive it will not show up.

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I am not sure I understand when you say "legacy designation as the first drive and not the UEFI drive"

When I set "Boot List Option" to UEFI my "Boot Option Priorities" are only "Network Card" and my attached external drive.

When my "Boot List Option" is set to Legacy I get a choice of CD/DVD/CD-RW, Hard Drive, Second Hard Drive etc etc

Just so you understand a bit more about my problem: I do have failed installations on the drive I am trying to install to. Also SSD Caching was previously set up. IDK whether this is causing me problems.

Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
So your bios doesn't combine the two modes, it toggles between them.

It sounds most likely that your previous efforts have made the drive unavailable for installation. At this point, I would make a bootable PE stick or CD and then use diskpart to run a clean command on the drive. HERE is a MS guide on making it on a USB stick and HERE on a CD.

Once you can boot into the preinstall environment, run diskpart, using the list disk and then select disk command, then run clean on that disk. HERE is a full list of diskpart commands with syntax.

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks RealBeast.

I will give this a try and report back with my results.

I hope you will be around for further advice if I need it!

Thanks

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Ok.

I created a bootable PE stick.

Went into preinstall environment.

Ran diskpart.

Ran list disk.

It shows:

Disk 0 Online 7633 MB

That's my bootable PE stick!

Where are my drives???

Please help

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Sorry I am getting irrational.

Realized I had SATA mode set in BIOS.

I have changed to ATA and can see drives now.

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
No no no it was all you.

The bootable PE stick was the magic. Then using the 'clean' cmd.

Now in successfully in Windows about to set up IRST.

Thank you.

klausfunk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Found a new problem so just a friendly warning in case this is not common knowledge.

I installed a virtual disk called magicdisc. http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

It struggled to install the driver then Windows wouldn't boot on restart.

Luckily, I managed to restore to a previous working configuration.

Anyone know why this happened?

My guess is some conflict with the RAID IRST drivers etc?

Do you know of an alternative that wont cause problems?

TRENDING THREADS