Sign in with
Your question

Looking to update for under $350.

Last response: in Motherboards
October 20, 2011 2:53:30 PM

I am currently running an E8400 chip with a XFX 5870 GPU, I am not sure of my motherboard but it is about 2 1/2 years old.

I am going to pick up a I5 2500 unlocked CPU but I have no idea about what motherboard to grab. The reason I evern want to upgrade is I am finding I am getting a little choppiness with some games. I am assuming this is my CPU and not the video card. I am looking for a Motherboard that has good onboard sound as I do not run a seperate soundcard. I mainly use headphones but I do have a 5 speaker set up. My Ram is 2 1/2 years old as well and I run 4gigs, my OS is Windows 7 64bit. Would it be wise to upgrade the RAM as well?

Mainly I just do not know anything about mother boards and would love some advice on a good motherboard that has great sound for gamming.

Thank you.

More about : update 350

a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 3:03:37 PM

Go through this list and find one in the price range that you are looking for.

They will all work with your CPU, and are all going to have good onboard sound.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You will have to upgrade your RAM, since I am assuming it is DDR2 and all the RAM for the 2500k is DDR3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those will all be great for you.

On the Motherboards, I personally would go with the Gigabyte or Asus brands for number 1 choice.

MSI for 2nd choice.

and ASRock as a last choice. But that is just my personal preference from experience with reliability.
m
l
October 20, 2011 4:21:18 PM

Thank you very much Itzdanielp, I did not realize I would need to upgrade my DDR2 Ram. You just saved me pulling out some hair lol.
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 4:26:00 PM

not a problem :) 

Now is definitely a good time to get RAM as it is *super* cheap. :) 
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 5:45:42 PM

I'm in agreement with itzdanielp's suggestion.
Personally i prefer Gigabyte boards,reason is their website is excellent for update support.
Much better then Asus which is a pain imo.
I would choose either Corsair or G.Skill as well.
Only difference is i suggest low profile ram.= better HSF compatabilty now and later if you add another kit.
Pick a colour that suits your mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 5:59:57 PM

Although their site is great for support, I very, very strongly dislike their website when I am trying to find / compare. I wish they had a better way of organizing the products.

But.... if you know what you are looking for, it's great
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 6:29:16 PM

I think the dual core 3.0, XFX 5879 and most likely the ram should be plenty to run the games coming out today. The ram being ddr2 instead of ddr3 might make a difference so if you could up that some to 6 or 8GB's it might help. What PSU are you using? How many monitors/TV's are you running and at what resolution(s)? Sometimes it's the Harddrive that could be causing the bottleneck, which one and what connection does your hdd have and use on the motherboard - are you using - Sata 1 or 2? I don't know of any games that use more than 2 cores or would require more performance than your 5870 can produce, except maybe the multimonitor thing. Maybe your not getting enough power to your video card - that's why I asked about the psu. Heat buildup inside the case might also be causing the problem. If your internal case temps are going up because of the extra cpu usage coupled with the extra push on the video card producing more heat your cpu might be "thermal throttled" down causing it to run slower or stutter during intense play. The other thing is are you playing on line? Most of the time it's the internet connection that causes the stuttering. Other thing to look at is how many programs are running automatically in the background while you're using your computer? Go to task manager, (Ctrl,alt,delete), click on task manager and in the very bottom left hand corner look to see how many processes are running. It's normally - for me anyway - to only have about 40 to 50 of them running. If you have a few more not a problem but if you're running 70 or 80 then that will take up lots of resources. You should turn some of them off and try again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade/update your computer - that's one of my favorite things to do! All I'm saying is if the stuttering is the only reason you're doing it there might be simpler and cheaper ways to stop that from happening. The upgraded parts that itzdanielp links to and suggests should be fine, (and I agree with his quality assessment in that order). So yes, you will need a mobo, cpu, ram, and depending on your psu you might want to pick up one of those as well. Good news is you get to keep your video card in the loop.

I would go with this GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard for $99 or $89 after Mail in rebate. and you already have the CPU picked out. The ram I would go with are these G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO for $90 or these G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL for only $52. Both of these sets you can upgrade later to 16GB's buy buying a second set and adding them to the first set you bought. I'll wait to see what psu you're running before I recommend one of those. and the Hdd? Your not using an Eide drive are you??? Just checking.
m
l
October 20, 2011 8:16:17 PM

I am a little confused I thought that according to the Heiarchy chart it was only on the 4th line so only 3 cards are better. If your sayuing this is not considered good anymore, would you recomend I get another and run them in Crossfire or get a whole new card?
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 8:28:54 PM

Yeah, your PSU will be more than enough, especially if you are only going to run a single GPU ( I would suggest an nVidia 560ti / 570 or and ATI 6950 / 6970)

And the reason your computer is lagging or choppiness as you call it is because of the resolution. While Sutek's point is valid at lower resolutions, if you want to play at 1920x1080/1200 You will need a faster GPU and CPU to process that much data. I would suggest a 1-1.5GB card and no more than 8GB or RAM for that.

As I mentioned earlier, the 2500k is the best processor on the market for gaming and general use, so I would absolutely go with that.

Also... newer games such as BF3 are extremely CPU intensive. where the game relies on the CPU even more than the GPU. So it is definitely worth it to upgrade your CPU.

So... my suggestion.

Get a 2500k and a MB. (P67 instead of Z68 since you will have a GPU)
and a decent GPU (one of the ones I wrote earlier in this post) and between 4 and 8GB of RAM (8GB at 1600 MHz is best)
m
l
October 20, 2011 8:28:58 PM

suteck said:
I would go with this GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard for $99 or $89 after Mail in rebate. and you already have the CPU picked out. The ram I would go with are these G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO for $90 or these G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL for only $52. Both of these sets you can upgrade later to 16GB's buy buying a second set and adding them to the first set you bought. I'll wait to see what psu you're running before I recommend one of those. and the Hdd? Your not using an Eide drive are you??? Just checking.

The Ripjaws you listed have a different model number then these. Are either better?
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 8:32:25 PM

Mish said:

The Ripjaws you listed have a different model number then these. Are either better?

Exact same specs, however the ones you linked are the Ripjaws X series and the ones he linked are just the Ripjaws.

The only difference is how they look.
m
l
October 20, 2011 8:36:08 PM

itzdanielp said:

So... my suggestion.

Get a 2500k and a MB. (P67 instead of Z68 since you will have a GPU)
and a decent GPU (one of the ones I wrote earlier in this post) and between 4 and 8GB of RAM (8GB at 1600 MHz is best)

Is my XFX Radeon 5870 not good enough?
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 8:42:57 PM

If you can only do part of the upgrade now, I would stick with the 5870 and upgrade the MB/CPU and get another GPU down the line.

It is a great card, but it is starting to get dated. You could definitely hold off for a while with it, and maybe even upgrade to the 7 series once they come out next year.

m
l
October 20, 2011 8:49:16 PM

itzdanielp said:
If you can only do part of the upgrade now, I would stick with the 5870 and upgrade the MB/CPU and get another GPU down the line.

It is a great card, but it is starting to get dated. You could definitely hold off for a while with it, and maybe even upgrade to the 7 series once they come out next year.

I am a little confused I thought that according to the Heiarchy chart it was only on the 4th line so only 3 cards are better. If your sayuing this is not considered good anymore, would you recomend I get another and run them in Crossfire or get a whole new card?
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 9:39:36 PM

It's a great board. Although you could save a few bucks using a P67 chipset since you are using a dedicated GPU.

The Z68 has onboard GPU
m
l
October 20, 2011 9:47:26 PM

Ahh I did not know that. Thank you! This is why this site is so great.
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 10:16:43 PM

haha, yeah. It really is.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2011 2:20:22 AM

Whew I sure missed a lot lol.
Quote:

To start with, The memory I suggested was for the motherboard I was suggesting. The ones I listed are on the QVL for that motherboard, the ones you listed are not. I use the list as a guarantee that if you use that memory, in all four slots, you will get all 16 GB's to work at the rated speed. What's on the list isn't the only memory that will work with that board of course because there's just too many manufacturers with way too much memory to test it all but what they did test and put on the list guarantees it will. Gskill also has their own memory configurator but the board I linked to isn't listed. And I listed these components because together they sell for ~$150, and with the $200 processor that's your $350.
Quote:

Sometimes it's cheaper to get a second older card to try to make up the difference and it usually works pretty well as long as your motherboard supports the dual X16 or X8 lanes. But it's usually easier and more expensive to get a single better performing card. But the second option, while costs a little more it usually takes less power and cables to run 1 card instead of 2 so you won't need to upgrade your psu, and you need less room in the computer case and one card produces less heat then 2 cards so you're probably better off with 1 when the price is right for you. So 2 cards perform better than one but not twice as good and three cards perform better than 2 but doesn't give you a 1/3% increase. And your motherboard and power supply have to support it/them.
Quote:
itzdanielp 10-20-2011 at 10:28:54 PM

Yeah, your PSU will be more than enough, / And the reason your computer is lagging or choppiness as you call it is because of the resolution. While Sutek's point is valid at lower resolutions, if you want to play at 1920x1080/1200 You will need a faster GPU
Where did you get the info on his power supply and screen resolution? I know I'm half blind but I can't find it for the life of me. Even looked at his member configuration and there's nothing there. What are they?? According to the information that I found on that card it should be capable of resolution of 2560 x 1600, at least for 1 monitor, if the monitor supports those resolutions of course.

How about the other questions I asked? Any information on those or did you decide to just upgrade anyway cause it's always a good idea? :bounce: 
And that is a great board. Nothing wrong with onboard video, good to have if your card craps out on you. But make sure your power supply has the 8 pin power connector for the new board since most of them have it and I still can't find what psu you have. :fou: 
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:25:15 PM

I have no idea where the post I made with all of my parts went? unless I sent it as a message some how and never actually posted it.
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:28:38 PM

I will repost it later since it does not seem to be there anymore.........
m
l
October 21, 2011 7:27:40 PM

suteck said:
Whew I sure missed a lot lol.
To start with, The memory I suggested was for the motherboard I was suggesting. The ones I listed are on the QVL for that motherboard, the ones you listed are not. I use the list as a guarantee that if you use that memory, in all four slots, you will get all 16 GB's to work at the rated speed. What's on the list isn't the only memory that will work with that board of course because there's just too many manufacturers with way too much memory to test it all but what they did test and put on the list guarantees it will. Gskill also has their own memory configurator but the board I linked to isn't listed. And I listed these components because together they sell for ~$150, and with the $200 processor that's your $350.
Sometimes it's cheaper to get a second older card to try to make up the difference and it usually works pretty well as long as your motherboard supports the dual X16 or X8 lanes. But it's usually easier and more expensive to get a single better performing card. But the second option, while costs a little more it usually takes less power and cables to run 1 card instead of 2 so you won't need to upgrade your psu, and you need less room in the computer case and one card produces less heat then 2 cards so you're probably better off with 1 when the price is right for you. So 2 cards perform better than one but not twice as good and three cards perform better than 2 but doesn't give you a 1/3% increase. And your motherboard and power supply have to support it/them.
Quote:
itzdanielp 10-20-2011 at 10:28:54 PM

How about the other questions I asked? Any information on those or did you decide to just upgrade anyway cause it's always a good idea? :bounce: 
And that is a great board. Nothing wrong with onboard video, good to have if your card craps out on you. But make sure your power supply has the 8 pin power connector for the new board since most of them have it and I still can't find what psu you have. :fou: 
Quote:

Ok I will try this again. I am just looking to have games sped up a bit. Oh and I had never used my HDMI on this monitor because my old card did not support it and I forgot when i got the new GPU. I just plugged it in today but even at the max settings I still have an inch of black bar all around the screen not being used........this was not the case with the DVI cable.

BenQ FP241VW 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor SILVER/BLACK 6MS 1000:1 DVI HDMI Component W/ HDMI Cable
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=22218

27784Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail *Limi *IR-was over clocked to 4.ghz but keeps reseting itself.

XFX Radeon 8750 1 gb DDR5 memory. Stock.

Antec Truepower Trio 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0 Active PFC SLI Certified 120MM Fan

Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty Has not been hooked up for over a year as I am not sure if my power supply has the cables to hook it up. Even if it would, not sure why I would need an extra harddrive, I have an external one to back up data. Unless there is a way to use it as a games only drive and that speeds it up????

Ram is 2x2gigs of Mushkin redline DDR2. I do not have the other specs on this.

Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink *Fan Not Included*
Not sure if this will work with the I5 cpu.

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

24122Antec P182 ATX Black Mid Tower Case 4X5.25
1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Audio Firewire [Reg. $140.18] 1$98.99 $98.99
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 22, 2011 6:12:13 PM

Mish said:
If I up my price to $450 for the RAM CPU and MB. What would you spend the extra money on?

Maybe one of these?
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59320&vpn=P8P67-M%20P...

or

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59323&vpn=P8P67%20EVO...

or maybe http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59673&vpn=P67%20Extre...

IThanks again for all of the help guys! I love this site. I used this site last time I built up a comp.

Never had a problem with a Gigabyte mobo personally own/owned 3 in total.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=64476&vpn=i52500...

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB - $51.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Pricematch the Newegg kit.

m
l
October 29, 2011 12:35:23 AM

So I ended up buying the following G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
I5 2500k
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 I got this for $135 as an open box special. Normally $190 so seemed like a great deal.

I went over by about $100, now I am at the regret stage thinking I should have waited for the black friday sales lol!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2011 2:50:55 AM

Looks good, Let us know how it goes.
m
l
!