Help me do RAID 5 on mini ITX HTPC

atropos333

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hello everyone! First, thanks for taking the time to read my build question and help with your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

So, here's my problem. I am building an HTPC using an Intel i3, mini-ITX mobo and case. I want this sytem to be able to do RAID 5 with at least 5, and ideally 6, hard drives. I haven't been able to find a mobo that does this, and am not sure of the best way to get there. (found a case I like that will hold 6 hdds)

Mobo Option 1 - Intel BOXDH57JG http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813121401

Mobo 1 already supports RAID 5, but it only has 4 SATA connections. Can I just use the PCI slot to add 2 more SATA ports? If I have 4 drives connected to the mobo, and 1-2 drives connected to SATA's via the PCI slot, can I combine all of these drives into a single RAID5 volume? Or, does a RAID 5 require that all member drives be connected at the same place (all connected to mobo, or all connected to the PCI card?) I honestly don't know the answer... I do know that PCI RAID cards that have 6 sata ports are expensive, so I'm hoping that's not the only way to do this.

Mobo Option 2 - Zotac H55ITX-C-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813500056

Mobo 2 has the bonus of already having USB 3.0 and Wifi-N (thus leaving the PCI expansion slot open). This board has 6 SATA connections, but does not support RAID. Is there a cheap PCI card that allows me to RAID 5 the hdds connected to the mobo? Or would I still need an expensive PCI RAID card with 6 SATA ports even though the mobo already has 6 sata ports?

Hopefully I've explained my issue clearly. Thanks again for any help on the best way to do a 5-6 drive RAID 5 on a mini-itx board.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure raid cards or any sata add-in cards for that matter have their own controller so you'd have to either run of the motherboard or a card, but no combination.

I doubt there is actually a way to do this because even on boards with 6 ports it's ussually over different controller limiting the number of drives to less(probably 4). And when you do want to go with a card it ussually gets expensive.