Nvidia 9800GT Not Recognized.

thoughtpolice

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hello!

I have been running my XFX 512MB Nvidia 9800GT for around a good 2 and a half years now and I havent had a single problem with it til 2 days ago. I was playing starcraft 2 and my monitor all of a sudden because slightly color disfigured with some strange purple and green pixels sticking out. I reinstalled the latest driver and I havent had a problem til today where I got the same problem. Reinstalling the driver didnt work. I did a DriverSweep of all things Nvidia and went ahead and did another driver install. No such luck. I repeated again and went for a slightly older driver and I continue to get no such luck.

Things have changed for the worst now I'm afraid....

I went into the Nvidia Control Panel to change my resolution and it said that it isnt "currently using a display attached to an nvidia GPU". DXDiag doesnt even pick up my Nvidia 9800GT. I go into my device manager and it shows the Nvidia 9800GT under display adapter but says it has an issue (Code 43). Action Center tells me that it has Address the problem with the Nvidia driver. It has yet to offer me a solution.

I cannot play a single game and my resolution is god awful.

I have a feeling that if my graphics card is recognized, all the problems above can be fixed.

Any help?

Specs:

Biostar TA790GXE
Nvidia 9800gt 512mb
600W Power Supply
AMD Phenom II 955 X4 BE
4GB DDR2 RAM
600GB Hard Drive
Hanns G HH231 LCD monitor
Windows 7 64 bit Home Ed

thoughtpolice

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
well, what i meant to say was: How could the GPU be dead if I am in fact using it right now. It's on, it's hot, and connected to my LCD monitor of which I am looking at to type this message. I do not understand....

thoughtpolice

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

The drivers do not work and it can't run 3d apps....

So if it can't run 3d applications it means it's dead?

I really appreciate the fast responses

As good as really, what's the point of a card that cannot be used for the purpose that it was intended for?

Windows Vista and 7 have a default driver that they will always load, it does not mean that the card is working properly.

thoughtpolice

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
sorry malmental but I turned off my computer for a couple of hours and now it is back to its good ol self.

now what to do with this 5770....might as well just throw it away.

In a serious note: Can you guys figure out why this might have happened? Could of it been heating or what?

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
You bought a new 5770 to replace a possibly defective 9800gt and now contemplating throwing it away because the 9800gt "seems" to be working after turning off your PC for a couple hours .... ???

I don't even....