SAMSUNG 840 or Crucial M4?

boldintrepid

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I'm on a budget looking to buy a 250/256 SSD drive. I see the
Crucial CT256M4SSD2 256GB for $144 and the
Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 250 for $136

Which drive is better? I have a 830 in my laptop and want to get another SSD for my desktop. Others said I should get the 840 Pro but that is too expensive. What is the difference between 840 and 840 Pro? I heard it's something about the nand or something

Solution
I normally recommend Samsung, Crucial, Intel, and Plextor.

If I could only choose between the 2 you mentioned I would choose the Crucial m4.

The Crucial m4 has been out for some time and proven to be a very good ssd. In addition, there are some excellent sale prices. There is a reason for the exceptional sale prices. Crucial is introducing their new m500.

The Samsung 840 is relatively new. Samsung decided to use triple level cell (TLC) memory. This is the first time TLC memory has been used in a consumer ssd. Some of the review sites have expressed concern about the longevity of TLC memory. Temporarily there are no definite answers. The 840 is considered to be a mainstream value model and should be okay for ordinary every day use...
I normally recommend Samsung, Crucial, Intel, and Plextor.

If I could only choose between the 2 you mentioned I would choose the Crucial m4.

The Crucial m4 has been out for some time and proven to be a very good ssd. In addition, there are some excellent sale prices. There is a reason for the exceptional sale prices. Crucial is introducing their new m500.

The Samsung 840 is relatively new. Samsung decided to use triple level cell (TLC) memory. This is the first time TLC memory has been used in a consumer ssd. Some of the review sites have expressed concern about the longevity of TLC memory. Temporarily there are no definite answers. The 840 is considered to be a mainstream value model and should be okay for ordinary every day use. Recently Plextor announced their intent to also use TLC memory.

The Samsung 840 Pro is Samsung's current flagship model. It has more traditional memory and its performance is deemed to be superior the 840.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is he link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

Solution