UT 2005?

With UT2004 we saw onslaught and a vide variety of vehicles.

What do we want in the next UT?

Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and run" but
just injure them?
Boats and scubagear?
Hangliders that can´t be shot down by Avrils?

Another gamemode? Movable node trucks?

Just some small thougts from my very badly hit hangover head.

HaglStrom.
29 answers Last reply
More about 2005
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk> wrote in message
    > With UT2004 we saw onslaught and a vide variety of vehicles.
    >
    > What do we want in the next UT?
    >
    > Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and run"
    > but just injure them?
    > Boats and scubagear?
    > Hangliders that can´t be shot down by Avrils?
    >
    > Another gamemode? Movable node trucks?
    >
    > Just some small thougts from my very badly hit hangover head.
    >
    > HaglStrom.

    I've been wondering myself what direction they will be taking to keep the
    game fresh and exciting. Don't know if you saw it but the unreal 3 engine
    demo is simply awesome. Still you can only get so far with prettier
    graphics.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
    > What do we want in the next UT?
    >
    > Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
    > run" but just injure them?

    Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
    to the game, though. All the UT games have had this in common - the
    horizon is always horizontal. When riding a bike, it's going to have
    to tilt in order to make the driving realistic.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Interesting question and I can't say, though i've pondered it on
    occasion, exactly where they might go. Multiple TDM w/ up to 4
    different teams? Rather than just new weapons, possibly some tools,
    like a rappeling ladder that can be rocket shot to climb buildings,
    walls, cliffs, etc.? For new weapons, I'd love a flame throwere as in
    U2 and the traditional Razorjack! Different weapons in each hand
    perhaps, with the ability to use both at the same time? Multiple class
    actors a la some of the MMORPG's? Vehicles are certainly a possibility
    for enhancement. One thing that I'd really like to see enhanced (being
    as I'm a professional musician) is the music - I love music in my ut
    gaming (and how can any of us who grew up on the original unreal ever
    forget that original theme song?) and find some of the stuff recently to
    be lacking in reflecting the maps or gameplay.

    FeldrewCo30
    www.co30.com

    MeltDown wrote:
    > HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
    >
    >>What do we want in the next UT?
    >>
    >>Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
    >>run" but just injure them?
    >

    > Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
    > to the game, though. All the UT games have had this in common - the
    > horizon is always horizontal. When riding a bike, it's going to have
    > to tilt in order to make the driving realistic.
    >
    > MeltDown
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "FeldrewCo30" <feldrew@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Interesting question and I can't say, though i've pondered it on occasion,
    > exactly where they might go. Multiple TDM w/ up to 4 FeldrewCo30
    > www.co30.com
    >
    > MeltDown wrote:
    >> HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
    >>
    >>>What do we want in the next UT?
    >>>
    >>>Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
    >>>run" but just injure them?
    >>

    >> Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
    >> MeltDown

    Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there is
    room for improvement
    but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the top of
    the line cards year after year.
    That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete computer.
    Graphics are just now getting to where I
    wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider Man
    swinging on a rope
    seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the ONS
    game type pretty original
    there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs to
    be done to immerse the
    player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side of my
    head.. I'm sure that will be
    cheap.. LOL
    You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny ctf/ons
    mod for 2k4.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there
    > is room for improvement
    > but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the top
    > of the line cards year after year.
    > That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete computer.
    > Graphics are just now getting to where I
    > wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider
    > Man swinging on a rope
    > seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the
    > ONS game type pretty original
    > there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs
    > to be done to immerse the
    > player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side of
    > my head.. I'm sure that will be
    > cheap.. LOL
    > You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny ctf/ons
    > mod for 2k4.

    Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
    computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
    advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
    able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that dont
    work today.
    So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
    like to see in "UT2005"
    And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players helping
    each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the "Link gun
    mode" to more weapons.
    How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
    Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
    Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
    The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
    stronghold?

    HaglStorm - today without hangovers, still not any wiser though.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:03:17 +0100, "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk>
    wrote:

    >Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
    >computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
    >advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
    >able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that dont
    >work today.
    >So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
    >like to see in "UT2005"
    >And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players helping
    >each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the "Link gun
    >mode" to more weapons.
    >How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
    >Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
    >Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
    >The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
    >stronghold?

    My son fancied the idea of a personel carrier with open doors to fire
    from.

    --

    Julian Richards
    usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
    with people that you would never want in your house.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Julian Richards enlightened us with:
    > My son fancied the idea of a personel carrier with open doors to
    > fire from.

    That's a pretty good idea! I missed that in UT2k4...

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:10:54 +0100, MeltDown
    <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote:

    >Julian Richards enlightened us with:
    >> My son fancied the idea of a personel carrier with open doors to
    >> fire from.
    >
    >That's a pretty good idea! I missed that in UT2k4

    I'm not sure what is best. A flying vehicle like the drop ship from
    Halo or a similar land vehicle or a pickup truck or a Rolls Royce
    Corniche convertible.

    The danger is that with 4 passengers, the ability to launch salvoes of
    Avrils and fire from other weapons makes it rather too deadly a device
    for balanced play.

    --

    Julian Richards
    usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
    with people that you would never want in your house.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Julian Richards enlightened us with:
    > The danger is that with 4 passengers, the ability to launch salvoes
    > of Avrils and fire from other weapons makes it rather too deadly a
    > device for balanced play.

    Well, with 4 passengers and a driver, a single player can kill five
    players by blowing up a single vehicle. I think that could balance
    things out quite nicely, as long as the vehicle itself isn't too
    tough.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    HaglStorm_DK wrote:
    > With UT2004 we saw onslaught and a vide variety of vehicles.
    >
    > What do we want in the next UT?
    >
    > Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and run" but
    > just injure them?
    > Boats and scubagear?
    > Hangliders that can´t be shot down by Avrils?
    >
    > Another gamemode? Movable node trucks?
    >
    > Just some small thougts from my very badly hit hangover head.
    >
    > HaglStrom.

    I'd like to see a wider range of commands that can be given to bots, and
    the ability to group bots and players into sub-team squads, to give the
    'team leader' more control over how the game goes.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:
    > Julian Richards enlightened us with:
    >
    >>The danger is that with 4 passengers, the ability to launch salvoes
    >>of Avrils and fire from other weapons makes it rather too deadly a
    >>device for balanced play.
    >

    > Well, with 4 passengers and a driver, a single player can kill five
    > players by blowing up a single vehicle. I think that could balance
    > things out quite nicely, as long as the vehicle itself isn't too
    > tough.

    How about having portable shield batteries that can protect a certain
    area from all enemy fire (And be recharged with the link gun, but not
    fast enough to last forever during an enemy fight)? Think of it as a
    last defense that one can use at their core when they control no nodes.
    It would even help against spawn killers at that stage, but it should
    be as hard to get as a nuke is on maps like ONS-Torlan and be slow at
    respawning (so that everyone wouldn't have this shield battery at once).
    When the shield is up, walking/flying/driving through it by the team
    that put it up should incur some damage to their health while letting
    them through. Also, anyone close enough to the edge of the shield
    should feel a little damage from shots hit on the shield. A nuke should
    be able to completely disable the shield in one shot (slightly hurting
    everything under it when it does).
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    I never got around to mentioning it before, but as part of my old job,
    I saw a research paper where they had modded UT (I don't know which)
    to use two video projectors projecting into a corner of a room to get
    an immersive system

    --

    Julian Richards
    usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
    with people that you would never want in your house.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I never got around to mentioning it before, but as part of my old job,
    > I saw a research paper where they had modded UT (I don't know which)
    > to use two video projectors projecting into a corner of a room to get
    > an immersive system

    I think it was called UT Cave or something like that. Looked very promising
    at one time.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

    > "Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I never got around to mentioning it before, but as part of my old job,
    >> I saw a research paper where they had modded UT (I don't know which)
    >> to use two video projectors projecting into a corner of a room to get
    >> an immersive system
    >>

    > I think it was called UT Cave or something like that. Looked very
    > promising at one time.

    Here's a link:
    http://planetjeff.net/
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    krap enlightened us with:
    > How about having portable shield batteries that can protect a
    > certain area from all enemy fire (And be recharged with the link
    > gun, but not fast enough to last forever during an enemy fight)?
    > Think of it as a last defense that one can use at their core when
    > they control no nodes.

    Sounds nice! Would be nice to trap enemies at a certain location, too
    ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    HaglStorm_DK wrote:

    > Very good idea, with the portable shield.

    Don't we already have one, in the new vehicles from the ECE pack?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
    > HaglStorm_DK wrote:
    >>
    >> Very good idea, with the portable shield.
    >
    > Don't we already have one, in the new vehicles from the ECE pack?

    A shield for personal carrying, i think was meant.
    Like a weapon, where it can be deployed, and maintained with the link gun.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    HaglStorm_DK wrote:
    > "Sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
    >
    >>HaglStorm_DK wrote:
    >>
    >>>Very good idea, with the portable shield.
    >>
    >>Don't we already have one, in the new vehicles from the ECE pack?
    >

    > A shield for personal carrying, i think was meant.
    > Like a weapon, where it can be deployed, and maintained with the link gun.

    Ok, though the Paldin meets all the above criteria other than carrying
    personnel.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Am Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:31:32 +0100 schrieb MeltDown:

    > HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
    >> What do we want in the next UT?
    >>
    >> Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
    >> run" but just injure them?
    >
    > Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
    > to the game, though. All the UT games have had this in common - the
    > horizon is always horizontal. When riding a bike, it's going to have
    > to tilt in order to make the driving realistic.
    >
    > MeltDown

    there is a gametype i played with motorbikes, something like capture the
    flag, where u had to hit 3 crystals per round...
    driving in 2k4 was never realistic with noch vehicle, but doesnt matter,
    its just fun and thats enough.

    hth
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Am Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:07:01 -0500 schrieb FeldrewCo30:

    > Interesting question and I can't say, though i've pondered it on
    > occasion, exactly where they might go. Multiple TDM w/ up to 4
    > different teams? Rather than just new weapons, possibly some tools,

    we have this in utgoty ;-)

    snip-

    Klaus
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Is a freeze gun or a shrinker out of the question?
    MACHGUN
    > "LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there
    >> is room for improvement
    >> but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the top
    >> of the line cards year after year.
    >> That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete computer.
    >> Graphics are just now getting to where I
    >> wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider
    >> Man swinging on a rope
    >> seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the
    >> ONS game type pretty original
    >> there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs
    >> to be done to immerse the
    >> player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side of
    >> my head.. I'm sure that will be
    >> cheap.. LOL
    >> You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny
    >> ctf/ons mod for 2k4.
    >>
    > Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
    > computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
    > advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
    > able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that
    > dont work today.
    > So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
    > like to see in "UT2005"
    > And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players
    > helping each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the
    > "Link gun mode" to more weapons.
    > How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
    > Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
    > Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
    > The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
    > stronghold?
    >
    > HaglStorm - today without hangovers, still not any wiser though.

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    what.now enlightened us with:
    > Is a freeze gun or a shrinker out of the question?

    Please don't quote every single line there is to quote - it's a waste
    of bandwidth.

    Having said that: I built a shrinker gun for UT. Check out
    http://www.unrealtower.org/downloads/mods

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    vehicle CTF as in Halo
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Ut2k4 already has V-CTF, just gotta find maps for it. The game supports it
    right outta tha box
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    There would be a way bigger community if it was supported out of the box
    with maps. Can't find a vehicle CTF comeptions for UT in most big ladders,
    like clanbase... :-(

    "Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> schreef in bericht
    > Ut2k4 already has V-CTF, just gotta find maps for it. The game supports it
    > right outta tha box

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Meltdown,
    I have the freezer file. How do I install the Umod file?
    Machgun

    "what.now" <what.now@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > Is a freeze gun or a shrinker out of the question?
    > MACHGUN
    > "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk> wrote in message
    >> "LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    >>> Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there
    >>> is room for improvement
    >>> but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the
    >>> top of the line cards year after year.
    >>> That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete
    >>> computer. Graphics are just now getting to where I
    >>> wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider
    >>> Man swinging on a rope
    >>> seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the
    >>> ONS game type pretty original
    >>> there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs
    >>> to be done to immerse the
    >>> player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side
    >>> of my head.. I'm sure that will be
    >>> cheap.. LOL
    >>> You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny
    >>> ctf/ons mod for 2k4.
    >>>
    >> Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
    >> computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
    >> advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
    >> able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that
    >> dont work today.
    >> So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
    >> like to see in "UT2005"
    >> And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players
    >> helping each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the
    >> "Link gun mode" to more weapons.
    >> How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
    >> Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
    >> Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
    >> The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
    >> stronghold?
    >>
    >> HaglStorm - today without hangovers, still not any wiser though.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    That's answered in http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/114. If you have
    trouble, check out http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/153 and
    http://www.unrealtower.org/tuts/Umods

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Meltdown,
    Didn't work with my copy of Ut2004.
    Thanks anyway.
    Machgun
    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    > what.now enlightened us with:
    >> I have the freezer file. How do I install the Umod file?
    >
    > That's answered in http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/114. If you have
    > trouble, check out http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/153 and
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/tuts/Umods
    >
    > MeltDown
    > --
    > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    what.now enlightened us with:
    > Didn't work with my copy of Ut2004.

    That's right. From the readme: "Shrinker version 100 - Released 13
    april 2000". So no, it's not for UT2004.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Vehicles Games Video Games