  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 1, 2005 5:21:48 PM

With UT2004 we saw onslaught and a vide variety of vehicles.

What do we want in the next UT?

Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and run" but
just injure them?
Boats and scubagear?
Hangliders that can´t be shot down by Avrils?

Another gamemode? Movable node trucks?

Just some small thougts from my very badly hit hangover head.

HaglStrom.

More about : 2005

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:21:49 PM

"HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk> wrote in message
> With UT2004 we saw onslaught and a vide variety of vehicles.
>
> What do we want in the next UT?
>
> Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and run"
> but just injure them?
> Boats and scubagear?
> Hangliders that can´t be shot down by Avrils?
>
> Another gamemode? Movable node trucks?
>
> Just some small thougts from my very badly hit hangover head.
>
> HaglStrom.

I've been wondering myself what direction they will be taking to keep the
game fresh and exciting. Don't know if you saw it but the unreal 3 engine
demo is simply awesome. Still you can only get so far with prettier
graphics.
January 1, 2005 7:31:32 PM

HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
> What do we want in the next UT?
>
> Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
> run" but just injure them?

Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
to the game, though. All the UT games have had this in common - the
horizon is always horizontal. When riding a bike, it's going to have
to tilt in order to make the driving realistic.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
January 1, 2005 7:31:33 PM

Interesting question and I can't say, though i've pondered it on
occasion, exactly where they might go. Multiple TDM w/ up to 4
different teams? Rather than just new weapons, possibly some tools,
like a rappeling ladder that can be rocket shot to climb buildings,
walls, cliffs, etc.? For new weapons, I'd love a flame throwere as in
U2 and the traditional Razorjack! Different weapons in each hand
perhaps, with the ability to use both at the same time? Multiple class
actors a la some of the MMORPG's? Vehicles are certainly a possibility
for enhancement. One thing that I'd really like to see enhanced (being
as I'm a professional musician) is the music - I love music in my ut
gaming (and how can any of us who grew up on the original unreal ever
forget that original theme song?) and find some of the stuff recently to
be lacking in reflecting the maps or gameplay.

FeldrewCo30
www.co30.com

MeltDown wrote:
> HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
>
>>What do we want in the next UT?
>>
>>Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
>>run" but just injure them?
>

> Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
> to the game, though. All the UT games have had this in common - the
> horizon is always horizontal. When riding a bike, it's going to have
> to tilt in order to make the driving realistic.
>
> MeltDown
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:08:33 AM

"FeldrewCo30" <feldrew@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Interesting question and I can't say, though i've pondered it on occasion,
> exactly where they might go. Multiple TDM w/ up to 4 FeldrewCo30
> www.co30.com
>
> MeltDown wrote:
>> HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
>>
>>>What do we want in the next UT?
>>>
>>>Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
>>>run" but just injure them?
>>

>> Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
>> MeltDown

Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there is
room for improvement
but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the top of
the line cards year after year.
That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete computer.
Graphics are just now getting to where I
wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider Man
swinging on a rope
seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the ONS
game type pretty original
there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs to
be done to immerse the
player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side of my
head.. I'm sure that will be
cheap.. LOL
You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny ctf/ons
mod for 2k4.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:03:17 PM

"LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there
> is room for improvement
> but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the top
> of the line cards year after year.
> That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete computer.
> Graphics are just now getting to where I
> wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider
> Man swinging on a rope
> seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the
> ONS game type pretty original
> there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs
> to be done to immerse the
> player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side of
> my head.. I'm sure that will be
> cheap.. LOL
> You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny ctf/ons
> mod for 2k4.

Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that dont
work today.
So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
like to see in "UT2005"
And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players helping
each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the "Link gun
mode" to more weapons.
How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
stronghold?

HaglStorm - today without hangovers, still not any wiser though.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:35:35 AM

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:03:17 +0100, "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk>
wrote:

>Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
>computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
>advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
>able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that dont
>work today.
>So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
>like to see in "UT2005"
>And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players helping
>each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the "Link gun
>mode" to more weapons.
>How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
>Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
>Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
>The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
>stronghold?

My son fancied the idea of a personel carrier with open doors to fire
from.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
January 5, 2005 3:10:54 AM

Julian Richards enlightened us with:
> My son fancied the idea of a personel carrier with open doors to
> fire from.

That's a pretty good idea! I missed that in UT2k4...

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:23:55 PM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:10:54 +0100, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote:

>Julian Richards enlightened us with:
>> My son fancied the idea of a personel carrier with open doors to
>> fire from.
>
>That's a pretty good idea! I missed that in UT2k4

I'm not sure what is best. A flying vehicle like the drop ship from
Halo or a similar land vehicle or a pickup truck or a Rolls Royce
Corniche convertible.

The danger is that with 4 passengers, the ability to launch salvoes of
Avrils and fire from other weapons makes it rather too deadly a device
for balanced play.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
January 5, 2005 7:25:55 PM

Julian Richards enlightened us with:
> The danger is that with 4 passengers, the ability to launch salvoes
> of Avrils and fire from other weapons makes it rather too deadly a
> device for balanced play.

Well, with 4 passengers and a driver, a single player can kill five
players by blowing up a single vehicle. I think that could balance
things out quite nicely, as long as the vehicle itself isn't too
tough.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:30:21 PM

HaglStorm_DK wrote:
> With UT2004 we saw onslaught and a vide variety of vehicles.
>
> What do we want in the next UT?
>
> Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and run" but
> just injure them?
> Boats and scubagear?
> Hangliders that can´t be shot down by Avrils?
>
> Another gamemode? Movable node trucks?
>
> Just some small thougts from my very badly hit hangover head.
>
> HaglStrom.

I'd like to see a wider range of commands that can be given to bots, and
the ability to group bots and players into sub-team squads, to give the
'team leader' more control over how the game goes.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:28:31 PM

MeltDown wrote:
> Julian Richards enlightened us with:
>
>>The danger is that with 4 passengers, the ability to launch salvoes
>>of Avrils and fire from other weapons makes it rather too deadly a
>>device for balanced play.
>

> Well, with 4 passengers and a driver, a single player can kill five
> players by blowing up a single vehicle. I think that could balance
> things out quite nicely, as long as the vehicle itself isn't too
> tough.

How about having portable shield batteries that can protect a certain
area from all enemy fire (And be recharged with the link gun, but not
fast enough to last forever during an enemy fight)? Think of it as a
last defense that one can use at their core when they control no nodes.
It would even help against spawn killers at that stage, but it should
be as hard to get as a nuke is on maps like ONS-Torlan and be slow at
respawning (so that everyone wouldn't have this shield battery at once).
When the shield is up, walking/flying/driving through it by the team
that put it up should incur some damage to their health while letting
them through. Also, anyone close enough to the edge of the shield
should feel a little damage from shots hit on the shield. A nuke should
be able to completely disable the shield in one shot (slightly hurting
everything under it when it does).
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:36:13 PM

I never got around to mentioning it before, but as part of my old job,
I saw a research paper where they had modded UT (I don't know which)
to use two video projectors projecting into a corner of a room to get
an immersive system

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:36:14 PM

"Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message
>I never got around to mentioning it before, but as part of my old job,
> I saw a research paper where they had modded UT (I don't know which)
> to use two video projectors projecting into a corner of a room to get
> an immersive system

I think it was called UT Cave or something like that. Looked very promising
at one time.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:36:15 PM

"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

> "Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I never got around to mentioning it before, but as part of my old job,
>> I saw a research paper where they had modded UT (I don't know which)
>> to use two video projectors projecting into a corner of a room to get
>> an immersive system
>>

> I think it was called UT Cave or something like that. Looked very
> promising at one time.

Here's a link:
http://planetjeff.net/
January 6, 2005 7:49:05 PM

krap enlightened us with:
> How about having portable shield batteries that can protect a
> certain area from all enemy fire (And be recharged with the link
> gun, but not fast enough to last forever during an enemy fight)?
> Think of it as a last defense that one can use at their core when
> they control no nodes.

Sounds nice! Would be nice to trap enemies at a certain location, too
;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
January 6, 2005 11:09:22 PM

HaglStorm_DK wrote:

> Very good idea, with the portable shield.

Don't we already have one, in the new vehicles from the ECE pack?
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:41:15 AM

"Sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
> HaglStorm_DK wrote:
>>
>> Very good idea, with the portable shield.
>
> Don't we already have one, in the new vehicles from the ECE pack?

A shield for personal carrying, i think was meant.
Like a weapon, where it can be deployed, and maintained with the link gun.
January 7, 2005 3:41:16 AM

HaglStorm_DK wrote:
> "Sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
>
>>HaglStorm_DK wrote:
>>
>>>Very good idea, with the portable shield.
>>
>>Don't we already have one, in the new vehicles from the ECE pack?
>

> A shield for personal carrying, i think was meant.
> Like a weapon, where it can be deployed, and maintained with the link gun.

Ok, though the Paldin meets all the above criteria other than carrying
personnel.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:12:02 PM

Am Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:31:32 +0100 schrieb MeltDown:

> HaglStorm_DK enlightened us with:
>> What do we want in the next UT?
>>
>> Do we want a motorbike that can´t kill other players in a "hit and
>> run" but just injure them?
>
> Motorbikes would rock! Then they'd have to add another axis of freedom
> to the game, though. All the UT games have had this in common - the
> horizon is always horizontal. When riding a bike, it's going to have
> to tilt in order to make the driving realistic.
>
> MeltDown

there is a gametype i played with motorbikes, something like capture the
flag, where u had to hit 3 crystals per round...
driving in 2k4 was never realistic with noch vehicle, but doesnt matter,
its just fun and thats enough.

hth
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:14:58 PM

Am Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:07:01 -0500 schrieb FeldrewCo30:

> Interesting question and I can't say, though i've pondered it on
> occasion, exactly where they might go. Multiple TDM w/ up to 4
> different teams? Rather than just new weapons, possibly some tools,

we have this in utgoty ;-)

snip-

Klaus
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:58:32 PM

Is a freeze gun or a shrinker out of the question?
MACHGUN
> "LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there
>> is room for improvement
>> but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the top
>> of the line cards year after year.
>> That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete computer.
>> Graphics are just now getting to where I
>> wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider
>> Man swinging on a rope
>> seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the
>> ONS game type pretty original
>> there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs
>> to be done to immerse the
>> player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side of
>> my head.. I'm sure that will be
>> cheap.. LOL
>> You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny
>> ctf/ons mod for 2k4.
>>
> Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
> computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
> advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
> able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that
> dont work today.
> So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
> like to see in "UT2005"
> And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players
> helping each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the
> "Link gun mode" to more weapons.
> How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
> Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
> Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
> The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
> stronghold?
>
> HaglStorm - today without hangovers, still not any wiser though.

January 11, 2005 7:57:23 PM

what.now enlightened us with:
> Is a freeze gun or a shrinker out of the question?

Please don't quote every single line there is to quote - it's a waste
of bandwidth.

Having said that: I built a shrinker gun for UT. Check out
http://www.unrealtower.org/downloads/mods

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:28:17 AM

vehicle CTF as in Halo
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:28:18 AM

Ut2k4 already has V-CTF, just gotta find maps for it. The game supports it
right outta tha box
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 4:27:25 PM

There would be a way bigger community if it was supported out of the box
with maps. Can't find a vehicle CTF comeptions for UT in most big ladders,
like clanbase... :-(

"Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> schreef in bericht
> Ut2k4 already has V-CTF, just gotta find maps for it. The game supports it
> right outta tha box

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:02:57 PM

Meltdown,
I have the freezer file. How do I install the Umod file?
Machgun

"what.now" <what.now@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Is a freeze gun or a shrinker out of the question?
> MACHGUN
> "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk> wrote in message
>> "LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>>> Gaming has come a long way in the last few years graphically. Sure there
>>> is room for improvement
>>> but how many of us are going to pay what is now 500-600 bucks for the
>>> top of the line cards year after year.
>>> That is more than some people have to pay for a decent complete
>>> computer. Graphics are just now getting to where I
>>> wanted them 30 years ago playing on an 8 bit Atari 2600 watching Spider
>>> Man swinging on a rope
>>> seemingly made of lego blocks. I have to give it to Epic for making the
>>> ONS game type pretty original
>>> there. Nothing else is really new in 2K4.. Personally I think work needs
>>> to be done to immerse the
>>> player in the game and I am ready for the plugin game port on the side
>>> of my head.. I'm sure that will be
>>> cheap.. LOL
>>> You want a rocket bike? Try clone bandits .. a hysterically funny
>>> ctf/ons mod for 2k4.
>>>
>> Well its not as much the graphics i want to change. The framerate and
>> computing power are linked, and therefore better computers gives an
>> advantage to older computers. As well as ping does. I would like if i was
>> able to hold an avril "locked on" eventhough my ping is over 100, that
>> dont work today.
>> So what i was really starting this thread with was anything anybody would
>> like to see in "UT2005"
>> And no i dont want rocket bikes, i want more like: that two players
>> helping each other can make a certain weapon shoot faster. (ekspand the
>> "Link gun mode" to more weapons.
>> How about a "gunners mate" in the Goliath?
>> Or a option to put the minigun on the ground and having a another player
>> Or somebody who can heal you or give more ammo.
>> The option to build a "fort" somewhere in the terrain, and make it a
>> stronghold?
>>
>> HaglStorm - today without hangovers, still not any wiser though.

February 9, 2005 1:59:00 AM

That's answered in http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/114. If you have
trouble, check out http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/153 and
http://www.unrealtower.org/tuts/Umods

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:46:52 PM

Meltdown,
Didn't work with my copy of Ut2004.
Thanks anyway.
Machgun
"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> what.now enlightened us with:
>> I have the freezer file. How do I install the Umod file?
>
> That's answered in http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/114. If you have
> trouble, check out http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/153 and
> http://www.unrealtower.org/tuts/Umods
>
> MeltDown
> --
> !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
February 9, 2005 4:59:02 PM

what.now enlightened us with:
> Didn't work with my copy of Ut2004.

That's right. From the readme: "Shrinker version 100 - Released 13
april 2000". So no, it's not for UT2004.

!