Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia's CPU SoC Roadmap

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 1:20:31 PM

I must say, ive been impressed with Nvidia as of late. Going from the Fermi failiure that was 6 months late last year to having the superior GPU lineup this year. Furthermore, Tegra 2 is winning over companies like Samsung, and LG, especially for tablets. Whats even more exciting is their roadmap for the rest of their SoC, up until 2014:

I find it amazing that by the end of this year, Nvidia will have made an ARM SoC that has similar performace to a Core 2 Duo. No idea if thats a dual or quad core, or even the clock speed, but thats still mighty impressive. Furthermore, they have such an aggressive roadmap! If they can stick to that, other SoC manufacturers will really have to turn the afterburners on, and x86 might be feeling the pressure.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4181/nvidias-project-kale...

So anybody think ARM will overtake x86? All the predictions, roadmaps, and planets are in alignment for it. It is already predicted ARM will get over 50% market share by 2014. And looking at that roadmap, Stark (the SoC to be released in 2014) is projected to be 20x faster than Kal-El, which is supposed to be as fast as a Core 2 Duo. Thats phenominal. Not to mention Windows 8 will support ARM.

So opinions? Will ARM overtake x86? Is this a load of rubbish? Will Nvidia be a real player in both the CPU and GPU market soon?

EDIT: Found out what CPU Core 2 Duo meant. Its the T7200:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27255

Which probably means this is a clock for clock comparison. Still mighty impressive!

More about : nvidia cpu soc roadmap

a c 133 à CPUs
February 16, 2011 1:48:53 PM

I think ARM has a very good chance at overtaking x86 I mean look at Windows 8 a big part of the restructuring of the OS is dealing with ARM processors. I said this in another thread yesterday that ARM is the future and the reason being is that even if they are not as powerful as some of the mainstream x86 processors the future is cloud computing and that is why ARM will be succeeding and x86 will be left in the past as far as mainstream computers go.

There will always be a spot for x86 at least in industry where the high power consumption isn't as relevant.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 8:59:25 PM

saaiello said:
I think ARM has a very good chance at overtaking x86 I mean look at Windows 8 a big part of the restructuring of the OS is dealing with ARM processors. I said this in another thread yesterday that ARM is the future and the reason being is that even if they are not as powerful as some of the mainstream x86 processors the future is cloud computing and that is why ARM will be succeeding and x86 will be left in the past as far as mainstream computers go.

There will always be a spot for x86 at least in industry where the high power consumption isn't as relevant.

I agree. But the power efficiency of ARM means it will at LEAST dominate the entire mobile market.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2011 9:43:30 PM

ARM won't overtake X86, but neither Intel nor AMD will get into cell phones. It's a different business model. X86 has mainly been about max perf in a budget. ARM has been about lower power in a budget.

Tablets will really be the battleground, but there AMD is ahead of everyone. If they accelerate the next Bobcat, there will be a quad x86 available for tablets before the end of the year. One that will play DX10 games and WebGL games.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 9:55:16 PM

BaronMatrix said:
ARM won't overtake X86, but neither Intel nor AMD will get into cell phones. It's a different business model. X86 has mainly been about max perf in a budget. ARM has been about lower power in a budget.

Tablets will really be the battleground, but there AMD is ahead of everyone. If they accelerate the next Bobcat, there will be a quad x86 available for tablets before the end of the year. One that will play DX10 games and WebGL games.

Don't say that... you might upset the nVIDIA fans :p  They're the worst fanbois of them all... they make Intel and AMD fans seem rational/reasonable.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2011 11:18:49 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Don't say that... you might upset the nVIDIA fans :p  They're the worst fanbois of them all... they make Intel and AMD fans seem rational/reasonable.

+1 to that...i can think of a few :fou:  But you have to admit, fanboy or not, if ARM really can get this powerful, not much is stopping it from overtaking x86. Its more open, cheaper, and more power efficient. If they make it full sized, then it could be a real contender.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
February 17, 2011 1:15:00 PM

Its not if its more like when they make it full size. With Project Denver slated for next year I think that will give us a glimpse of the future of ARM computing power. Project Denver extends the range of ARM systems upward to PCs, data center servers, and supercomputers. This will kick start the process into becoming a big contendoe for high end systems, but only time will tell.

Like I said with Microsoft building Windows 8 to take advantage of ARM we will see this technology come to life sooner then we may think.

Quote:
Denver provides a choice. System builders can now choose a high-performance processor based on a RISC instruction set with modern features such as fixed-width instructions, predication, and a large general register file. These features enable advanced compiler techniques and simplify implementation, ultimately leading to higher performance and a more energy-efficient processor.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/project-denver-processo...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2011 1:28:28 PM

saaiello said:
Its not if its more like when they make it full size. With Project Denver slated for next year I think that will give us a glimpse of the future of ARM computing power. Project Denver extends the range of ARM systems upward to PCs, data center servers, and supercomputers. This will kick start the process into becoming a big contendoe for high end systems, but only time will tell.

Like I said with Microsoft building Windows 8 to take advantage of ARM we will see this technology come to life sooner then we may think.

Quote:
Denver provides a choice. System builders can now choose a high-performance processor based on a RISC instruction set with modern features such as fixed-width instructions, predication, and a large general register file. These features enable advanced compiler techniques and simplify implementation, ultimately leading to higher performance and a more energy-efficient processor.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/project-denver-processo...

Windows 8 is a massively important step for ARM to be successful, however, ARM being successful might make other OS'es be used. I'm sure linux will probably run ARM systems better than windows 8,or we may see an all new OS pop up. This might shake both the OS and CPU markets up!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2011 7:39:00 PM

From Dailytech :

Quote:
Intel Claims It's Already Beaten ARM Without Shipping a Single Phone Chip

Speaking at the Mobile World Conference 2011 in Barcelona, Spain Anand Chandrasekher, senior vice president and general manager of Intel's Ultra Mobility Group, made this bold prediction. He concedes that the upcoming smart phone core, dubbed Medfield, will only tie ARM cores in standby time. But he claims it will blow away the competition in the amount of time the phone can remain active and how fast it can perform processing.

That seems a bit overly optimistic, given that Intel is only in its first generation, while most ARM CPU makers are well into their second or third generation.

The good news for Intel, though, is that at least it appears like it will be delivering a product sometime soon. It says it is currently producing the smart phone chips, which should be due in products late this year.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2011 9:17:27 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
From Dailytech :

Quote:
Intel Claims It's Already Beaten ARM Without Shipping a Single Phone Chip

Speaking at the Mobile World Conference 2011 in Barcelona, Spain Anand Chandrasekher, senior vice president and general manager of Intel's Ultra Mobility Group, made this bold prediction. He concedes that the upcoming smart phone core, dubbed Medfield, will only tie ARM cores in standby time. But he claims it will blow away the competition in the amount of time the phone can remain active and how fast it can perform processing.

That seems a bit overly optimistic, given that Intel is only in its first generation, while most ARM CPU makers are well into their second or third generation.

The good news for Intel, though, is that at least it appears like it will be delivering a product sometime soon. It says it is currently producing the smart phone chips, which should be due in products late this year.

If it was AMD saying that, i might believe it. They would be coming from Brazos. This is Intel. They made Atom. Im not really buying it :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2011 9:41:39 PM

ares1214 said:
+1 to that...i can think of a few :fou:  But you have to admit, fanboy or not, if ARM really can get this powerful, not much is stopping it from overtaking x86. Its more open, cheaper, and more power efficient. If they make it full sized, then it could be a real contender.

I love how this could potentially kill that tyrannical Corporation known as Apple. This processor is built with Android OS in mind. :) 

Funny to think how Apple got its start by challenging big brother with that 1984 commercial... only to become what it most hated in the end.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2011 10:04:28 PM

ares1214 said:
If it was AMD saying that, i might believe it. They would be coming from Brazos. This is Intel. They made Atom. Im not really buying it :lol: 

Hmm, isn't Nokia going to be using the Medfield SoC? I guess we'll find out shortly :p 

Anyway, I'm still using a 4-yr-old dumb cell phone - it's the wife who has to have the iphone knockoff (samsung smart phone) that needs recharging every evening..
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 12:38:58 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
Hmm, isn't Nokia going to be using the Medfield SoC? I guess we'll find out shortly :p 

Anyway, I'm still using a 4-yr-old dumb cell phone - it's the wife who has to have the iphone knockoff (samsung smart phone) that needs recharging every evening..

Hmm, isnt Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, Sony, (insert company name here) using the Qualcomm, Nvidia, or any other ARM SoC? Yes :lol:  Medfield, if its based off Atom, which it is, probably wont end up being anything to write home about. Even if it is better than the ARM variants, manufacturers wont go through all that trouble for a minor gain. Also, this thing might not be out for a while. Dual core ARM CPU's will probably be out before it is.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
February 18, 2011 4:19:12 AM

Quote:

Yeah. That's why Apple dropped the PowerPC chip and went with the CISC Intel CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 3:24:50 PM

jsc said:
Quote:

Yeah. That's why Apple dropped the PowerPC chip and went with the CISC Intel CPU.

Well that was before all these RISC ARM CPU's really started to show up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2011 4:54:28 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Imagination-Technology...

A little something further that can bump ARM SoC along. What im curious is when they say 3 years and rival desktop GPU, do they mean it will rival CURRENT desktop GPU's in 3 years, and if so which one, or it will rival desktop GPU's 3 years from now. So like a GTS 430 in your phone or a GTS 730 in your phone.
m
l
August 4, 2011 5:10:35 AM

I like the idea NVIDIA is doing this. Seems we may see a new breed of handheld gaming systems! Make sure they know I want a tablet for all the music, movies, web browsing, ect that I can get into. Plus thell them its a good idea to make a docking station for it so I can play window games handheld. Oh yeah do for get to make the tablet support bamboo touch screen for Corel painter, sketch book and autodesk 3ds max via usb connector :lol:  . lol I think that NVIDIAs on the right path. MXM and lucid has a good home here I beleave!
m
l
!