Question About SATA

mike1294

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I have just built a computer and to save a few bucks I used an old HD from a computer I won't be using anymore but when I was installing it I noticed that is was a SATA 2.0 drive. My question is if I went out and bought a new HD that is SATA 3.0 will I notice that much of a difference? The one I currently have is 500GB and 7200RPM.

Solution
@datatracklabs, why don't you give "actual answer" in this forum? BTW, RPM is only one of several factors that determines a drive's speed. The most important factor is platter density.

As for 6Gbps versus 3Gbps, there will be no observable benefit in choosing the former over the latter. That's because HDDs are still not achieving transfer rates that saturate a 3Gbps link (ie 300MB/s), let alone 6Gbps. In fact the maximum transfer rates of current models appear to be of the order of 210MB/s.
@datatracklabs, why don't you give "actual answer" in this forum? BTW, RPM is only one of several factors that determines a drive's speed. The most important factor is platter density.

As for 6Gbps versus 3Gbps, there will be no observable benefit in choosing the former over the latter. That's because HDDs are still not achieving transfer rates that saturate a 3Gbps link (ie 300MB/s), let alone 6Gbps. In fact the maximum transfer rates of current models appear to be of the order of 210MB/s.

Solution