On boot, I can\'t get to bios and the computer keeps restarting

ManGuy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I have just built a computer.

Inter DP55WG MB, i5 650 processor. Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series PSU. Kingston Technology HyperX 4 GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C7D3K2/4GX RAM. ASUS AMD Radeon HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5 Video Card EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5 video card. Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS HD. LiteOn iHBS212 - Disk drive - BD-RE - 12x2x8x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25" - LightScribe LiteOn iHBS212 - Disk drive - BD-RE - 12x2x8x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25" - LightScribe ROM.

At first the bios would hang with a Post of 4h. The computer would boot as soon as I plugged in the power supply. After it hung, it would reboot and the cycle would continue indefinately. Researching, people with the 4h hang in the boot said I needed to update the bios to accomodate the i5 processor. Because I could not get to the bios screen, I pulled the bios pin on the CPU, copied the updated bios using *.bio, inserted the disc. The computer immediately booted when I plugged in the power supply. The Post got to 33. The computer then rebooted and the cycle continues endlessly. The computer is reading the ROM drive with the cd. I tried removing the video card. Same result. I tried unplugging the LED, Power on etc. from the MB. Same result. I tried removing and installing only one RAM card. Same result. I removed all the RAM same result except it hung at Post 27. I even tried unplugging the HD. Same result. I removed and reinstalled the CPU. Same result.

I can't get the computer to reach the bios screen. I can't get it to stop booting as soon as the PSU is plugged in. I can't get it to stop recycling.

Very frustrating.

The cpu is compatible.
http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DP55WG
I would start by sticking to basics until my system functions properly.
Like 1 HDD,1 OD,and leaving the gpu out.
I'm not knowledgeable enough about multiple hdd's/Raid but i know there's usually a preparation processs involved before installing more then one hdd.
I would reset the bios and start over without all the unneccessary components required for post.
Not to mention the fact that looping often points to improper boot priority selections.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I had the same exact problem. Turned out my motherboard was bad and was not reading the RAM. I had the Jetway JBI-600 for a total of 4 months so it was too late to receive a refund from Newegg. I went through the Jetway RMA process and fortunately for me they no longer carried the product and gave me a refund through Newegg anyways.

I went with a Gigabyte and learned not to skimp on a motherboard. $130 X-58 board sounds nice but not if the board fails so quickly.

What happened with me is that it repeat the same POST codes over and over and would finally stop on 4h. I couldn't get to the bios either. Problem is most likely with the mobo. Good luck!.

ManGuy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
In searching the internet, I was surprised to see how many people had the exact same problem with this motherboard and the i5 CPU. In the end, with the CMOS jumper still off, I decided to pull the CMOS battery, wait a half hour, replace the battery and try to flash the bios with the latest version in *.bio format on a thumb drive connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard. It worked. Put the CMOS jumper back on and rebooted.

wexler81

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

I know this is old, but how did it work, removing the battery? because i keep having my computer restarting too and unable to get to the bios which everyone seems to say what the problem is,, even though I think they are wrong.