Solved

Help me finish my Gaming System

I'm looking to build a gaming system built mainly for FSX (I'm in Flight School), but I would like to eventually expand my gaming :)

I have another system I use for productivity, i.e Office & Adobe running on an AMD 1055T, so I was thinking about going for Intel LGA1366 this time around, so far I have these components:

Corsair TX 950
Sapphire 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition

I need to finish it it, I was thinking about the following:

HAF 922
Asus Rampage III Formula
I7 950
Corsair H50 Cooling
Mushkin Redline 6-8-6-24

I was looking for maybe some other CPU/MB/Memory combination recommendations, is this overkill? The Asus Sabertooth seems to be a cheaper alternative. But I would like to have it last a few years and the Rampage seems to have all of the bells and whistles.
36 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help finish gaming system
  1. the Rampage has 3 PCIE X16 slots
    the Sabertooth only has 2 X16 slots but other than that they are almost the same (except for some features like ROG connect)
    But your build looks very good!
  2. Thanks, I plan on overclocking too, hopefully 4Ghz+, shooting for about about 4.2 with the H50.

    Oh, the RAM is DDR3 1600... maybe I should shoot for 2000?
  3. stangboy555 said:
    Thanks, I plan on overclocking too, hopefully 4Ghz+, shooting for about about 4.2 with the H50.

    Oh, the RAM is DDR3 1600... maybe I should shoot for 2000?

    Nah..... faster RAM won't make much of a difference (for the price anyway)
    Regarding the OC, You probably won't have any problems getting it to 4Ghz on water (Just make sure you know what you are doing ;) lol)
  4. H50 is way overpriced. get a decent air cooler.
  5. wortwortwort said:
    H50 is way overpriced. get a decent air cooler.

    Well now that I think about it, Yeah the H50 is not the best idea!

    The Cooler Master 212+ is probably a better priced option than the H50
    In this review it does just as good as the H50 and not much worse than the H70!
    But if you want an amazing Air cooler go with the Sythe Mugen-2 Rev.B this will make sure your CPU is cool when you OC it
  6. Would I be able to reliably hit 4Ghz+ on air?
  7. Well The CM 212+ does just as well as a H50
    and the Scythe Mugen-2 Rev.B Beats the CM 212+ by 6 degrees
    In the review they had a i7 870 Running at 4Ghz, and the load temps were: 64c for the 212+, and 58c for the Sythe

    I dont think you will have any problems getting to 4Ghz
    The only problem is that Newegg does not sell the Sythe Mugen-2 Rev.B so you will have to find it else where


    Edit: I saw that a guy got his i7 950 to 4.4Ghz with an air cooler that performs in between the CM 212+ and the Sythe Mugen-2 Rev.B So I don't think you will have any problems with either one :)
  8. Thanks, I think that does it. :D

    Newegg does have it

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-185-142&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

    I can get two of those, one for the 1055T and one for the i7 950 for the same price as an H50. I'll order them in the morning after I do some more homework and price shopping on it.
  9. yea they just have it sorted weird on newegg "SCMG-2000" i believe.

    Get shin-etsu TIM for $5.

    Are you not interested in waiting for sandy bridge? Jan 5th.
    the CPU that will replace the i5 760/750 will cost the same as the i5 but in some games outperformed the i7 980x extreme.
    While producing less heat and using less power.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row
  10. The model # is SCMG-2100
  11. stangboy555 said:
    The model # is SCMG-2100

    WOW I did not see that!
    I geuss I wasn't paying attention when I was looking
    If you get that and some good quality TIM you shouldn't have any problems getting to 4Ghz+
    Get some Tuniq TX-4
    It is one of the best
  12. vindictive said:
    yea they just have it sorted weird on newegg "SCMG-2000" i believe.

    Get shin-etsu TIM for $5.

    Are you not interested in waiting for sandy bridge? Jan 5th.
    the CPU that will replace the i5 760/750 will cost the same as the i5 but in some games outperformed the i7 980x extreme.
    While producing less heat and using less power.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/sandybridgepreview_082710002107/24413.png


    What platform is Sandy Bridge? is it 1366?

    ETA, nevermind.. just googled it :??: Damn another new platform. Makes me want to get an 1156 i7 860 and to save money and see what happens.
  13. lga 1155. Will be being released on Jan 5th in Las Vegas. It pissed me off, I've been waiting to do a build for a year and was going to do it right before christmas >:O
    Now Ima buy everything but the mobo/cpu/ram/cooler right before christmas while its cheap then get the others once its released.
  14. vindictive said:
    lga 1155. Will be being released on Jan 5th in Las Vegas. It pissed me off, I've been waiting to do a build for a year and was going to do it right before christmas >:O
    Now Ima buy everything but the mobo/cpu/ram/cooler right before christmas while its cheap then get the others once its released.


    I might have to do the same thing. :(

    Any idea on the prices? I saw the i7 2600k might be $550ish? Didn't see anything on mother boards. If I can get the mobo/cpu/ram/cooler for under $1k, I might just wait it out.
  15. I dont remember the #'s.
    the i5 2400 will replace the i5 750/760 and will cost the same ($200-220)
    I've been reading reviews on p67 mobo's (p67 will be for lga 1155 and for the use of discrete graphic cards) and theres the Gigabyte's high end version (dont remember the name one of the UD7 something type things) and they are guessing that will be around $300.
    But no prices have been stated officially for mobo's just the reviewers guessing off of when x58 came outs prices.
  16. here dude they say if its beside it, it should take its price.


    I'll be getting the i5 2500k for the unlocked multi.

    "It’s based on this roadmap that I mentioned some pricing earlier. If all stays the same, the Core i7 2600K will take the place of the Core i7 950, currently priced at $562. The 2600 will fit somewhere around the 680 and 875K ($342) and the 2500K will replace the i5 760/655K ($205 - $216)."

    whys it say the i7 950 is currently priced at $562? typo?
  17. Vindictive that price might be the release price?
    But I am waiting for the i5 2500K as well

    Edit: I just checked $562 WAS the release price for the i7 950
  18. Oh god gross! $562 for an i7 950 back in the day! x_x

    I wonder if these will be a problem to get a hold of one when they first release..
  19. vindictive said:
    Oh god gross! $562 for an i7 950 back in the day! x_x

    I wonder if these will be a problem to get a hold of one when they first release..


    Are you kidding?????
    the i5 2500 will cost $250-$200 and performs almost as well as the i7 980X 1000$
    Everyone will want one!!!
  20. The only saving part I can think of is that its releasing AFTER Christmas, might help me out a little lol
  21. JE_D said:
    Are you kidding?????
    the i5 2500 will cost $250-$200 and performs almost as well as the i7 980X 1000$
    Everyone will want one!!!


    That's a little hard to believe.
  22. I just posted the bench?
    Again

    It only performs this well compared to the i7 980x with things that dont use more then 4 cores (COUGH Gaming!).
    the one in the bench is the LOWER, I repeat *Lower* model than the one that will be $209-$218.
  23. Well, Sandy Bridge is supposed to be a mid-ranged "mainstream" platform. Why would Intel want to release a $200-300 chip the will outrun their flag ship 980x $1000 6 core?

    They would totally eliminate their "Performance" and "Extreme" line from the second graph you posted.
  24. Dunno. I didn't make em, I'm just excited as hell they are coming out in under 2 months :D!

    and the CPU that is supposed to replace the i7 950 is supposed to cost $562 (or there abouts).
  25. Just ordered the (2) Scythe's for my CPU's. I'm still leaning toward the LGA1366 so I can eventually get a 980x, hopefully the price will drop after the 990x comes out.

    I'm still not sold on Sandy Bridge and how it compares to Gulftown. I just can't see Intel selling out their top processor like that.

    I've got everything now except for the MB/CPU/RAM combo. I really need a stable wall to bang my head on :(
  26. Best answer
    its only 1 month 13 days, thats all I'm sayin.
  27. Right, I understand that.. but my concern is whether or not it's worth the wait. From the chart above LGA1366 and the Extreme line of processors are still going to be king.. and around for another year or two.

    Waiting for the LGA1155 and Sandy bridge might give you the latest and greatest, but it will also limit you to the "Mainstream" mid-range processors, you'll have to go back and buy the LGA1366 if you want to go with the Extreme lines, so why not just get the 1366 and a processor that compares?

    Touch choice :pt1cable:
  28. Forget the chart for a second.
    If the i5 2400 is beating the i7 980x in some games (costs under $200) what do you think the i7 2600 will do?
    "This time it's the masses that get the upgrade first. While Nehalem launched with expensive motherboards and expensive processors, the next tock in Intel's architecture cadence is aimed right at the middle of the market. This time, the ultra high end users will have to wait - if you want affordable quad-core, if you want the successor to Lynnfield, Sandy Bridge is it."
    So buy looking at that.. it sounds like there will be better CPU's coming out, but later? they are just aiming at the mainstream first then will get to the extreme.
    I think they weren't put on the chart because no one knows about them naming/cores etc..
  29. vindictive said:
    Forget the chart for a second.
    If the i5 2400 is beating the i7 980x in some games (costs under $200) what do you think the i7 2600 will do?
    "This time it's the masses that get the upgrade first. While Nehalem launched with expensive motherboards and expensive processors, the next tock in Intel's architecture cadence is aimed right at the middle of the market. This time, the ultra high end users will have to wait - if you want affordable quad-core, if you want the successor to Lynnfield, Sandy Bridge is it."
    So buy looking at that.. it sounds like there will be better CPU's coming out, but later? they are just aiming at the mainstream first then will get to the extreme.
    I think they weren't put on the chart because no one knows about them naming/cores etc..

    All I know is that I CAN'T WAIT for Sandy Bridge!
    From the look of this chart an i5 2500K will cost about $200 and performs just under or just above a $1000 CPU in gaming!
    Intel Is making a wise decision. Because most people are not enthusiast, and they are not willing to pay $300+ for amazing CPU performance

    These are mainstream prices, but these are NOT mainstream chips
  30. they are raising the bar on "mainstream".
  31. vindictive said:
    they are raising the bar on "mainstream".

    you think?
    I read the entire review and a less than $200 CPU (i5 2400) was taking second or first to a $1000 CPU (i7 980X)
    The price to performance ratio is through the roof!
    Just think what the "Extreme Edition" Sandy Bridge CPUs will be :o
  32. I bet those won't come out till Q3/Q4 2011..
  33. well yeah.....
    how long did it take Intel to release the i7 980X
    FOREVER......

    I hate waiting :cry:
  34. well idc cuz i cant afford the extreme lol
  35. vindictive said:
    well idc cuz i cant afford the extreme lol

    Well I can't afford it either but I want to see how it performs!
  36. Best answer selected by stangboy555.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product