Windows Registration and Stolen Laptops

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 12:35:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

Hi, All:

Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
burglarized. =(

I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
for MS to match up their records?

I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....

Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
least!), but I was curious....

TIA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 9:03:40 AM

NYC XYZ wrote:

> Hi, All:
>
> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
> burglarized. =(
>
> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
> passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
> for MS to match up their records?
>
> I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
> machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
> course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
> for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>
> Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
> possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
> Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
> see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
> least!), but I was curious....
>

> TIA

If the person is installing Windows XP, it IS possible, however Kadaitcha
Man is correct.. If MicrosSoft were to assist you in the laptop recovery by
checking their records against the installation files or by showing you the
records where Windows XP sends data aback and forth with Microsoft
approximately once every two hours, they'd be admitting that they do track
the computers that the Windows XP Operating System is on.

But.. What if the person that stole yopur laptop installs a different
Operating System?

Ya know... It is possible with ALOT of work to find your laptop... I said
possible meaning a longshot. Did you happen to write down your MAC
Addresses to your internal components i.e. your ethernet card?

Rick.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 9:43:45 AM

"NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi, All:
>
> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
> burglarized. =(
>
> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
> passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
> for MS to match up their records?
>
> I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
> machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
> course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
> for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>
> Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
> possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
> Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
> see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
> least!), but I was curious....
>

> TIA

Sorry to hear of your bad luck but if they know anything about the sys they
have already gotten into the machine and are using it with out any problems.
Most likely sold it for the bucks to other stuff.
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 9:46:17 AM

Ricky B. Gurley wrote:

> NYC XYZ wrote:
>

>> Hi, All:
>>
>> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
>> burglarized. =(
>>
>> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
>> password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
>> passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
>> for MS to match up their records?
>>
>> I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
>> machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
>> course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
>> for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>>
>> Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
>> possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
>> Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
>> see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
>> least!), but I was curious....
>>

>> TIA
>

> If the person is installing Windows XP, it IS possible, however Kadaitcha
> Man is correct.. If MicrosSoft were to assist you in the laptop recovery
> by checking their records against the installation files or by showing you
> the records where Windows XP sends data aback and forth with Microsoft
> approximately once every two hours, they'd be admitting that they do track
> the computers that the Windows XP Operating System is on.

What they _could_ do is block the reactivation of that serial number.
Wouldn't make a difference unless the guy tried to reactivate it, then they
could refuse reactivation except by a phone call and have the call traced.
This used to be a pretty big hassle--might not be anymore though.

> But.. What if the person that stole yopur laptop installs a different
> Operating System?
>
> Ya know... It is possible with ALOT of work to find your laptop... I said
> possible meaning a longshot. Did you happen to write down your MAC
> Addresses to your internal components i.e. your ethernet card?

There are utilities that go in at a low enough level that one would pretty
much have to zero the disk to wipe them that "phone home" periodically for
the purpose of finding stolen laptops. No help in the current situation
but could be for the future.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

infospy wrote:

> "NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi, All:
>>
>> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
>> burglarized. =(
>>
>> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
>> password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
>> passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
>> for MS to match up their records?
>>
>> I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
>> machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
>> course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
>> for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>>
>> Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
>> possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
>> Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
>> see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
>> least!), but I was curious....
>>

>> TIA
>>
> Sorry to hear of your bad luck but if they know anything about the sys
> they have already gotten into the machine and are using it with out any
> problems. Most likely sold it for the bucks to other stuff.

Depends. Some need to have chips replaced if you don't know the passwords.
Of course sometimes you get the last laugh. Somebody stole one of mine out
of the car the day _after_ it died the death.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 1:37:31 PM

Hang around. There are always people here posting "My friends gave me
this laptop and now retired to Catmandu" or "The ex-employee left us
with a password-protected laptop." and all kind of stories. He may
show his face here!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 4:15:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

Your machine is gone. By a new MAC.
"NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi, All:
>
> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
> burglarized. =(
>
> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
> passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
> for MS to match up their records?
>
> I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
> machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
> course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
> for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>
> Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
> possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
> Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
> see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
> least!), but I was curious....
>

> TIA

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2005 6:12:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

In article <1107063339.782530.288010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, NYC
XYZ says...

> Hi, All:
>
> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
> burglarized. =(
>
> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
> passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
> for MS to match up their records?
>
> I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
> machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
> course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
> for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>
> Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
> possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
> Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
> see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
> least!), but I was curious....

Windows XP registration cannot help you. Not only are you not required
to give them any details such as name/address but there is no useable
info sent to them.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 10:56:34 AM

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

> <NONSENSE SNIPPED>

The question was simply a theoretical one, whether such a thing were
possible. You could have just wrote "not sure" or, most helpful of all
in your case, remained silent.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 11:10:38 AM

"NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi, All:
>
> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
> burglarized. =(
>
> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> password...

Yes you can. It is almost child's play to delete the Administrator (or any
other) password.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 11:26:10 PM

> Kadaitcha Man wrote:
> >

> > <NONSENSE SNIPPED>
>

> The question was simply a theoretical one, whether such a thing were
> possible. You could have just wrote "not sure" or, most helpful of
all
> in your case, remained silent.

Well actually, maybe. But then again, only if. OTOH, quite possibly.
But, I wouldn't, if I were you. Hope this helps.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 1, 2005 9:36:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

If then.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2005 5:05:04 AM

> If then.

If then?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2005 10:58:47 AM

Tyrone, <Tyrone@innercity.net>, wrote:

> "NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> If then.
>>

> If then?

Else.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 1:08:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

What?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 4:07:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:58:47 +0545 (UTC), Kamalabuddhi Sreenivasa
<kamalabuddhi.sreenivasa@you.dish-eared-oblique-plonker.net>

>Tyrone, <Tyrone@innercity.net>, wrote:
>
>> "NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> If then.
>>>

>> If then?
>
>Else.

fi
February 4, 2005 12:15:31 AM

NYC XYZ wrote:
> What?

No one knows. You clipped everything.

--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

What's a MAC?

"Donduk" <fastcar101@aol.com> wrote in message
> Your machine is gone. By a new MAC.
> "NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi, All:
> >
> > Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
> > burglarized. =(
> >
> > I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> > password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
> > passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
> > for MS to match up their records?
> >
> > I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
> > machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
> > course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
> > for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
> >
> > Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
> > possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
> > Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
> > see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
> > least!), but I was curious....
> >

> > TIA

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2005 10:57:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

"NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi, All:
>
> Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
> burglarized. =(
>
> I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
> passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
> for MS to match up their records?
>
> I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
> machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
> course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
> for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>
> Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
> possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
> Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
> see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
> least!), but I was curious....
>

> TIA

There is a little program out there that will get them in,

a.. This is a utility to (re)set the password of any user that has a valid
(local) account on your NT system, by modifying the creped password in the
registries SAM file.
a.. You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
a.. It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot
off a floppydisk or CD. The bootdisk includes stuff to access NTFS
partitions and scripts to glue the whole thing together.
a.. Works with syskey (no need to turn it off, but you can if you have lost
the key)
a.. Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!
a.. It is also an almost fully functional registry editor!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2005 10:05:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

"NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
>machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots?

It's not sufficiently unique, lots of room for identical 'signatures'.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 1:11:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

I think he's talking about a Big Mac at MacDonald's, like the opposite
of a Whopper at Burger King.

"infospy" <infospyREMOVE@charter.net> wrote in message
> What's a MAC?
>

> "Donduk" <fastcar101@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Your machine is gone. By a new MAC.
> > "NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hi, All:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other
items
> > > burglarized. =(
> > >
> > > I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
> > > password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
> > > passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically
anyway,
> > > for MS to match up their records?
> > >
> > > I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of
the
> > > machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
> > > course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately
unique
> > > for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's
concerned....

> > > Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether
it's
> > > possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether
WinXP
> > > Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to
ever
> > > see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
> > > least!), but I was curious....
> > >

> > > TIA

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 4:10:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

"infospy" <infospyREMOVE@charter.net> wrote in message
> What's a MAC?
>

> "Donduk" <fastcar101@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Your machine is gone. By a new MAC.
>> "NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hi, All:
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, I've just had my laptop stolen, along with other items
>> > burglarized. =(
>> >
>> > I was wondering, though...they can't get with WinXP without the
>> > password...so I suppose they'd do a reinstall...but since info is
>> > passed along to Microsoft...would it be possible, theoretically anyway,
>> > for MS to match up their records?
>> >
>> > I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
>> > machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots? Of
>> > course, I'm assuming these so-called snapshots are adequately unique
>> > for purposes of cross-referencing where a stolen laptop's concerned....
>> >
>> > Anyone know what I'm on about? I'm asking, in general, whether it's
>> > possible to "trace" a stolen laptop, and specifically whether WinXP
>> > Registration could be made to help recover one...I don't expect to ever
>> > see my poor laptop again (I've got most of my work backed-up, at
>> > least!), but I was curious....
>> >

>> > TIA

Of course if they have stolen your laptop then a little program piracy
wouldnt worry them either, So all they have to do is buy a hacked pirate
version of WinXP which doesnt need to get online and register. If they cant
find one there I am sure they can sell all the other items they stole and
get a cheap flight to Thailand or Malaysia or Singapore and go to any large
computer shopping mall and pick it up for 100-200 Baht. On top of that they
could have a nice holiday in the sun, checking out the LBFM's (PBR).

regards
Freddie
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 8:56:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.windows.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.private.investigator (More info?)

Send me the machine and return postage and I'll open it and change the pw.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "NYC XYZ" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I mean, since WinXP Registration takes some kind of "snapshot" of the
> >machine...is it not possible to cross-ref identical snapshots?
>
> It's not sufficiently unique, lots of room for identical 'signatures'.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 3:03:54 PM

"infospy" <infospyREMOVE@charter.net> top-posted:
>Send me the machine and return postage and I'll open it and change the pw.

Wha? AFAICT the OP was hoping that the hardware key was sufficiently
unique to be able to identify the machine to the Windows authorization
servers (regardless of the Windows key used). It's not.

Now if the thief tried to reload the OS (or broke into the OS by
changing the password, as you know how to do), and used the same
windows key, it could theoretically be tracked through that, but the
best they'd ever do would be to disable that key...
September 9, 2009 2:38:58 PM

when they re-install and register (technicaly register is diffrent from activate)
you dont need to register or give any personal details, formatting the hard disk which most stolen laptops do will make your laptop new again, any previous info will be deleted, re-activation will work online or by phone its simply to activate the license..your xp license can even be used on any other pc or laptop but gets deactivated from the other...

in other words, if its stolen you're screwed and nothing about registration or activation can help you get anything ever back
June 28, 2012 11:55:26 AM

pcfixed said:
when they re-install and register (technicaly register is diffrent from activate)
you dont need to register or give any personal details, formatting the hard disk which most stolen laptops do will make your laptop new again, any previous info will be deleted, re-activation will work online or by phone its simply to activate the license..your xp license can even be used on any other pc or laptop but gets deactivated from the other...

in other words, if its stolen you're screwed and nothing about registration or activation can help you get anything ever back

One addition:

Only Toshiba and MacIntosh have the option to register a stolen laptop/computer on serial number.
You need a police report to do this (at least in the Netherlands).
Only hope you have if it's brought to a repair shop that they check this.

Unfortunatly, there is not yet one database with all laptops in it that are stolen worldwide.

Good luck, wizardofoss

!