Sign in with
Your question

Advice on my first build

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2011 3:58:35 PM

I decided to ask for advice on my first computer build. I am a complete novice whose only knowledge comes from internet research and am not sure whether the parts I am thinking of getting will be ok.

I intend on getting:
AMD Phenom x4 955 processor
Corsair xms3 8GB (2*4GB) RAM
Corsair builder series cx500w atx power supply
Western digital caviar blue 500GB SATA 2 l, 16mb cache
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT UD2H
LG BH10LS30
And Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

The computer will he for general use and no major gaming accept football manager so no real good graphics are needed. I would be very greatfull if you could tell me if these parts are compatible and if anything should be upgraded to a better part. Also I am aiming to make it as fast as possible for day to day use, my budget will stretch but I'm not going to go for an I7 extreme for example. Thank you in advance.

More about : advice build

February 16, 2011 4:24:05 PM

That build looks good. Nothing really needs to be improved unless you suddenly started playing games.
Related resources
February 16, 2011 4:48:27 PM

I agree with Leaps-from-Shadows it looks fine and the Corsair CX500 is a solid psu.
The psu is the wrong place to save money minitron815 .
The only thing i was wondering about was the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT UD2H
which is pretty much deactivated/no longer stocked at most retailers.
I'm not saying anything bad about it just wondering how much it cost?
Since you can get 880G's cheap.
February 16, 2011 5:15:38 PM

The motherboard was somthing I was not sure about and I would be happy to upgrade it that area if there will be noticable differences in performance with a better motherboard.
February 16, 2011 5:37:22 PM

Davcon that Antec I listed is one of the best rated PSUs on newegg. It's also an Antec. He could save money by buying a lower wattage PSU especially if he doesn't plan on any heavy gaming. In fact, (in theory) lower wattage PSUs are more efficient at lower wattages.
February 16, 2011 6:15:54 PM

glpa said:
The motherboard was somthing I was not sure about and I would be happy to upgrade it that area if there will be noticable differences in performance with a better motherboard.

Nothing wrong with Gigabyte! i have no idea what you're paying and just suggested a 880G board since it's a newer chipset and priced in the $80 -100 and have the newest features like sata3 and usb3.
February 16, 2011 6:26:49 PM

minitron815 said:
Davcon that Antec I listed is one of the best rated PSUs on newegg. It's also an Antec. He could save money by buying a lower wattage PSU especially if he doesn't plan on any heavy gaming. In fact, (in theory) lower wattage PSUs are more efficient at lower wattages.

I won't disagree with anybody about the merits of an Antec psu but saving $10-20 on a psu with lower wattage and only one pcie 6pin isn't really cost effective if you consider future upgrades and expandability.
The Corsair has 500 continuous watts and 2 pcie leads.
I agree the Antec would be fine but you can see my point as well right?
February 16, 2011 7:26:49 PM

Firstly thanks for the feedback. Secondly if in the future I did look to upgrade and start playing games in the future should I get a better motherboard now and if so which one is recommended?
February 16, 2011 7:56:13 PM

glpa said:
Firstly thanks for the feedback. Secondly if in the future I did look to upgrade and start playing games in the future should I get a better motherboard now and if so which one is recommended?

These have the newer chipsets and tech features.Decide if they offer any benefit to you over the GA-MA785GMT UD2H

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
February 16, 2011 8:02:01 PM

Both the Antec and the Corsair will be more than sufficient for just about any single card. Neither will be sufficient for dual cards (unless you're a baddie with 5770s). So why not get the one that's cheaper and has more 5 egg ratings. The extra PCIe connector isn't important; video cards with 2 connectors come with at least one adapter.

If you want a system that allows for more upgrades in the future, go with a Phenom II X3/4 and a larger PSU. I would recommend at least 2 PCIe x16 slots.
February 16, 2011 8:05:57 PM

all three PSU listed are fairly close to one another in terms of power. the antec is the best of the three, that xigmatek peaks far above 400w and is bronze efficient (as is the antec), and the corsair is solid. Any of the three will do the job and you can even power a GTX460 with that antec. I would say 8GB of RAM is a lot, I tend to buy RAM as needed since faster and cheaper ram constantly comes out.

* FYI the antec does not come with a power cord.
!