Sign in with
Your question

HTPC - Onboard Video enough?

Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2010 8:02:06 PM

Hello Tom's,

With the holidays fast approaching I am looking into building my Mom a budget HTPC. I have almost everything figured out except one portion, the GPU.

This is the mobo I plan on using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has a HD4250 for onboard video, and I have a 5570 lined up to be bought if it proves not to be enough for her needs.

As far as I know, general use will be playing DVD's and DVD Rips from an external HD. It should go without saying but I'll say it anyways, she will not be gaming, except for maybe the random web based flash game or a learning game for my little sister.

So I ask you, the community, would I need an upgrade over the standard onboard video of this mobo.

Thank You,

Mike

More about : htpc onboard video

November 22, 2010 6:29:38 AM

^ The onboard HD 4250 is powerful enough for 1080p encoding/ decoding tasks, I dont think her PC would need anything more powerful...
m
l
November 22, 2010 6:34:14 AM

the 4250 is plenty for an htpc
m
l
November 22, 2010 11:36:13 AM

PLENTY for powering an HTPC. If I may add bro - when not gaming, then the 5770's money can be used to purchase a Hauppauge 2250 MCE tv tuner and a 'BIG' HDD for storing content.

2x 2TB HDD's will be great. If not ,you could spend the extra cash on getting a really good HTPC case
m
l
!