Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Custom Building a System - Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2010 9:17:32 PM

I'm in the process of picking out some parts. I'm thinking of purchasing the parts around christmas, hoping for some sales. I'm wondering if some people could tell me what they think about what I have listed so far?

I'm hoping for a system that can handle todays games fairly well as well as tomorrows games fairly well (doesn't have to be max settings, but at least playable).

I'm also trying to get it for under $1200 for all the parts listed that I will be purchasing. Note that that doesn't mean I want to spend right up to $1200, but if I need to in order to achieve my goal, I would. I will have more available in the following months to replace/add what I've said I'm skimping on below (RAM/Hard Drive).

I already have monitor and input devices. I will be installing Windows 7 64 bit, which I already have through my school. I have free XP through school plus I purchased a cheap Win7 upgrade disc.

- Antec Twelve Hundred -

Motherboard (perhaps one of below)
- MSI 790FX-GD70 - (no USB 3.0)
- Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 - (my preference - contains usb 3.0 and cheaper than next one)
- MSI 890FXA-GD70 -

Graphics Card (one of below - eventually upgrade to a second one - currently no specifics)
- Radeon HD 5870
- Radeon HD 6870 (may by equivalent to next in line of 5770 family)

CPU (One of below, likely one of the quad cores)
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition - (3.2 GHz)
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition - (3.2 GHz)
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - (3.4 GHz)
- AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition - (3.5 GHz)

- intend on getting 6 to 8 gigs, but only planning on getting 2 to set up machine with initial purchasing

Hard Drive
- Unsure, but will be using one I currently have for initial setup

- 750W Power Supply which comes with case mentioned above; unsure of brand -
- otherwise, unsure of how much power I need or what brand is good
- Should I get this one if I can get it before the sale ends? - 1000W ABS brand, crossfire ready
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 9:53:01 PM

Did you just say that the 6870 MAY BE equivalent to the 5770... Reviews are out there bro, it IS faster than the 5770 and 5850. Also, There is two things you can do. Wait or build it now.

Right now:
The MOBO, I suggest getting the Asrock 890GX Extreme4. On that 1200 budget you should spend more money on the GPU and CPU rather than the motherboard.


This one is even cheaper and is a great board plus it'll perform just as good as the top dogs on the mobo chain. Only 100$. SATA 6 USB 3 like the Extreme4.

Another thing to critique don't get PSU's that come with the case. Just get a PSU separately and case too. I mean you could get the XFX 750 for I think 130$ off newegg.

XFX 750:


a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 9:58:09 PM

Cont. The 6-8gigs aren't needed. It's just money that doesn't need to be spent. I mean AM3 is not running trip channel so 6gigs is out of the option. And 8 gigs is just stupidly pricey. 4 gigs is good enough. I recommend any of the Mushkin Blackline, all the things I mentioned above if you save up like this it could be put towards another GPU so you can have crossfire setup. This'll allow you to get two 6870s.

Another thing, the CPU I suggest you get the 955. It's good enough and cheap as well. I have it, plus it can OC it easily. Another thing I suggest is getting the Hyper 212+ to OC your CPU and cool your chip as well.
Related resources
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 10:02:24 PM

Cont. again haha.

Now for the waiting.

I suggest waiting, with intel's SB and AMDs BD coming out. BD'll get a huge boost from the current lineup. And SB is going to be WAAYYY better than the current i7's. I'm telling you that even if you wait for SB it'll be worth the performance. Another thing Cayman is coming out and that is 50% better than the 6870. So that'll put it at the 580's level. Cayman is releasing in December 13, so I hear. Of this year. And expect it to be lower temps and power consumption than the 580.

November 21, 2010 10:08:26 PM

Thanks for the information on the motherboards - I wasn't quite sure of what would be needed when looking at them, and the two you linked me look just fine. I will probably end up going with the cheaper of the two unless you or someone else thinks there is good reason to go with something different.

Also, thanks for the information about the PSU's.

About the RAM, I'll keep that in mind and simply pick up 4 gigs. Knowing that will certainly save money. =] Obviously, this is the first time I've build a system.

I will definitely keep the Hyper 212+ in mind, and will likely get it. Thanks for the suggestion about the processor. I was leaning towards getting that one because it would be the cheapest already, even more so now. Nice to know that you use it as well. =]
November 21, 2010 10:11:04 PM

Just saw your third post. =] I'll look into that and make a decision, because the earliest I would be doing this is December anyway. The most I would buy this month is something like the case or PSU (since I don't have to worry much about compatibility - I think) if I see a big sale on something I want. I won't be able to spend the full amount until mid-December anyway though, so am hoping for some sales around Christmas.
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 10:16:11 PM

Umm well the chips and GPU's don't expect sales on those. Those usually don't go on sale unless it's of the lower end. I also suggest that you look at Cayman. Won't be on sale, but it'll be on sale, but it'll be released. So that'll be a prospect. With the money you saved on the Mobo/RAM/PSU that I suggested I think you'll be able to pick it up. If it turns out to be too expensive. I think you'll be able to get the 6870 in CF with the money you saved. Of course you could save even more going with the 6850. You'll sacrifice performance but the CF performance is amazing.

CF 6850 review:

Best 6850 Asus DirectCu review:

6870 CF review:
November 21, 2010 10:33:43 PM

Well, I'll put some thought into the processor and GPU to decide whether to wait or not. I'll have to do some more research into them.

Any ideas what prices I should be expecting on Cayman or the new chips that will be out? I can also research myself if you aren't able to give a price estimation.
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 10:38:42 PM

Cayman should be in the 400s or higher 300s. Pricing has not yet been released sadly. Cayman is dropping Dec. 13, or so I hear.

SB is releasing January 5th for sure says Intel. Intel hasn't released price, it is expected to be "mid-priced" oriented said intel. So probably following the current pricing.

BD is not specified, but should roll out Q2-Q3 of 2011, so like May-ish. Unclear pricing.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 10:38:45 PM

Answered in your other thread
November 21, 2010 10:41:08 PM

JackNaylor: Was that to me or something azn said? This is the only thread I have, unless you count the email I sent myself so that I can show my friend what I've come up with when I see him again.
November 21, 2010 10:49:05 PM

aznshinobi: I'm thinking, since I'm interested in building it earlier, I might go with an existing processor rather than waiting for a new one (despite how nice they look) and try to get the Cayman once it's out, if you think that would be a reasonable move.

Would you still say the Phenom II X4 955 would be appropriate for doing this?
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 11:01:46 PM

Umm yes, the 955 is by no means a slouch. I mean if you would want a better chip the only reasonable suggestion I have is the i5 750. But that'd require another board, and Intel boards are not exactly cheap. But yeah just get the 955 if you can't wait then.