When increasing the ram my computer wont start

angelascribner

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hello,
when upgrading from 1 gig to 2 gigs, my computer doesn't seem to want to boot right, the moniter shows a shadow of a gateway box and the the message no video imput. when i put the old memory back in, it work fine. what is wrong?

angelascribner

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Thank you,
I have a Gateway 500SE PC - Model# MAFATXSTL-EL2 Serial# 0026322146.
I had Windows XP Home edition and Upgraded to Windows XP Professional with SP3. Everything works great. I had 128mbs RAM, so I upgraded to 1 GIG. Everything works fine. I bought memory from KomputerBay 2GIGS (2x1) PC2100 DDR 266MHZ 1024MB NON ECC LD, 184 PIN DIMM MEMORY. I was told to upgrade, I might have to do something with the CMOS or BIOS? But that is Greek to me. I would appreciate any help. I can include a phone number if that will help.
Angela - amscribner@comcast.net

angelascribner

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I contacted Gateway support who confirmed my computer would upgrade to a max of 2 GIGs and the memory that i currently have in is 184 PIN. I just don't know what to do about the CMOS and BIOS.
Thanks

It is possible that Gateway support gave you the wrong information. Please read the Gateway link I in my post above and let me know what you think.

I place a higher credibility in their documentation than in their tech support especially if the information is contradictory. Quote their documentation to them when you contact them.

Normally, when memory is upgraded to the rated specs, the computer will see the new memory on startup, and run fine.