Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte P55-UD3R will not boot

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 21, 2011 2:48:17 AM

I built this computer in February of last year and it had (until today) been running fine.

Mobo: Gigabye P55-UD3R
Power Supply: OCZ600MXSP
Memory: 4g Gskill F3-12800CL9D (2 sticks @ 2gig ea)
CPU: Intel Core i7-860
SSD: OCZ Agility Series 60GB SSD
GPU: XFX HD-465X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2

I had the CPU overclocked to 2.93Ghz with a 22x multiplier (since last Feb.) with no stability issues. Today, my wife called and said that the computer was giving her an error at bootup:

"The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages.
Last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states.

Current CPU Speed : 2.926GHz (133*22)
Current BCLK :133MHz
Current Memory Speed :1333MHz

Press any key to continue"

My wireless keyboard (and a hard-wired usb keyboard) wouldn't allow me to "press any key" or hit delete to enter the BIO setup...

I cleared the CMOS memory, but now I don't even get the error message; I get the 1 post beep and then the Gigabyte splash screen, then the computer reboots.

I tried booting with 1 stick of memory, 2 sticks, and swapped the memory out for some new 8g GSkill ram, but nothing worked.

Any thoughts?

More about : gigabyte p55 ud3r boot

a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2011 4:47:02 AM

Unplug it from the wall and remove the cmos battery for a few seconds. Replace it and plug it back up and turn it on hitting the delete key to go into bios. Go to the last screen and load default settings F10 to save and exit and reboot. Go back into bios during reboot and check to make sure the usb mouse and keyboard are enabled - mine are disabled by default - after enabling F10, save and exit, enter for reboot and it should start up for you. After it boots and works for you you can probably go back into bios and reset all your overclock settings. Sometimes they just fail due to power blip/fail though out the house when nobody notices or for some reason during boot up a piece of hardware decides it doesn't like the voltage going to it.
m
l
October 25, 2011 7:12:00 PM

suteck said:
Unplug it from the wall and remove the cmos battery for a few seconds. Replace it and plug it back up and turn it on hitting the delete key to go into bios. Go to the last screen and load default settings F10 to save and exit and reboot. Go back into bios during reboot and check to make sure the usb mouse and keyboard are enabled - mine are disabled by default - after enabling F10, save and exit, enter for reboot and it should start up for you. After it boots and works for you you can probably go back into bios and reset all your overclock settings. Sometimes they just fail due to power blip/fail though out the house when nobody notices or for some reason during boot up a piece of hardware decides it doesn't like the voltage going to it.

Finally got time to try that, no luck. The first time I booted it after removing the battery and leaving it unplugged for 10 minutes, it POSTED and then sat at the Gigabyte Splash screen until I shut it off after 15min. After that, it will POST, go to the Gigabyte splash screen, and then restart after 10-15 seconds.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2011 9:48:11 PM

Can you update the bios? Sometimes the motherboards have trouble with the SSD's. Does your motherboard bios have a Q-flash or something similar? That's what my newer Gigabyte board calls it. If so all you need is a flash drive with nothing on it but the bios update, hit f9 I think and it will ask you where to look. Find it on the drive and flash. Sorry if you already know how to do it, just like covering what's needed.
Do you have a sata hdd sitting around you can plug in instead of the ssd? Just enough to get past the splash screen. Even without any hdd plugged into the mobo and you have a cd/dvd plugged in it should run through bios, past the splash screen and then give you a "no boot device/media found" when it tries to hand off to windows. And if that's the case I would again recommend the bios update.
m
l
October 26, 2011 1:16:12 AM

Gah-
This thing is driving me nuts.

I replaced the CMOS battery and got to the POST screen ONCE. After that one time, the board will POST (One beep), display the Gigabyte splash screen and then restart (endlessly) after 10-15 seconds.

I don't see how it could be a short; thoughts?

Edit- The board will POST and give a power error (continuous short beeps) if I don't have RAM inserted; it gives a "good" POST code (1 beep) if RAM is in place. Thoughts?
m
l
October 28, 2011 2:09:34 PM

I picked up a PSU tester today; we'll have to see if that's the issue.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2011 2:13:51 AM

That would be my guess is that the psu failed. I've heard some of ocz's does that after a short time. Let us know how it goes.
m
l
October 31, 2011 2:19:11 PM

suteck said:
That would be my guess is that the psu failed. I've heard some of ocz's does that after a short time. Let us know how it goes.

Tested the PSU and everything appears to be fine. The PSU tester had a -5V light that did not go on, but I looked over the OCZ's documenation can't find anything about -5V- can someone enlighten me?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2011 3:57:20 PM

Found this - maybe it will help

" Basic power supply troubleshooting:

o My -12V, -5V, etc. show voltages that are way out of specification .

o The -5V rail was removed from the ATX specification once the ATX12V specification replaced it. Furthermore, a number of motherboards simply do not use either the -5V or -12V rails. Either lack of -5V or the motherboard's lack of utilization of -5V or -12V can cause very erratic readings. These readings should not be of any concern."
From JUNNYGURU

Here's the PREVIOUS PAGE in case you have some other questions
m
l
October 31, 2011 3:59:50 PM

suteck said:
Found this - maybe it will help

" Basic power supply troubleshooting:

o My -12V, -5V, etc. show voltages that are way out of specification .

o The -5V rail was removed from the ATX specification once the ATX12V specification replaced it. Furthermore, a number of motherboards simply do not use either the -5V or -12V rails. Either lack of -5V or the motherboard's lack of utilization of -5V or -12V can cause very erratic readings. These readings should not be of any concern."
From JUNNYGURU

Here's the PREVIOUS PAGE in case you have some other questions

Awesome, well we know it isn't the PSU.

Ram and then MOBO are next on my list
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2011 4:52:26 PM

Have you tried a regular hdd yet? Old one laying around or a cheap one on ebay. You might also try disconnecting your ssd, putting a bootable disk in the cd/dvd drive, and don't forget to make it boot to cd first, and see if it gets past the splash screen. You know, start loading the operating system or something. Nowhere to install but it should go past the splash screen.

And I still think a different psu should be tried. I don't know much about psu testers but does it test doing power draws or does it just tell you you have 12 v or 35 amps and the like? Sometimes it's the power draw that makes all the difference. That's when they fail.

I got this from one of Moderator Proximon's posts -
Quote:
There are many factors that must be considered when selecting a PSU, or Power Supply Unit, when building a new PC or replacing a bad PSU. If you are reading this you probably understand that you want a safe PSU, one that won't fail and damage your components in the process. What you may not understand is the difficulty of diagnosing a PSU that has partly failed.
A poor or slightly damaged PSU can cause a system to display a wide range of symptoms which also resemble other issues. It can be almost impossible to diagnose a PSU problem at home without having another PSU to swap into a build. This is a very strong argument for getting a quality PSU... you need to have as much confidence as possible in this part because of the difficulties caused by a bad one.
Here's the link to the tom's site with the information. It's the first paragraph.
After all - if you're going to start replacing/experimenting with parts, go to best buy and try one of their psu's, return it if it doesn't help. I like "open box" specials!
m
l
November 12, 2011 6:52:52 PM

Hey kayl,

Have you found a solution to this problem yet? I hadn't turned on my computer for about 2 months, but finally did yesterday and had 32 Windows updated waiting for me, as expected. I installed the updates and restarted, then I saw the same problem you described here. When I turn on the computer the Energy Star speshscreen is displayed for about 10 minutes, but I can't go into the BIOS or do anything, then it goes into the restarting cycle where it restarts every 10-15 seconds without displaying the splashscreen.

I also build this computer early last year. My setup is similar to yours:
Power Supply: Cooler Master 500W
Memory: 4g Patriot Viper DDR3 1333MHz
CPU: Intel Core i5 (don't remember the model)
SSD: Kingston 64GB
HDD: Hitachi 1TB
GPU: ATI ALL-in-Wonder HD

I'm currently just trying the things people suggested on this site and swapping out components, though I'm really confused as to why Windows updates would cause this.
m
l
November 12, 2011 8:06:37 PM

lolita_mik said:
Hey kayl,

Have you found a solution to this problem yet? I hadn't turned on my computer for about 2 months, but finally did yesterday and had 32 Windows updated waiting for me, as expected. I installed the updates and restarted, then I saw the same problem you described here. When I turn on the computer the Energy Star speshscreen is displayed for about 10 minutes, but I can't go into the BIOS or do anything, then it goes into the restarting cycle where it restarts every 10-15 seconds without displaying the splashscreen.

I also build this computer early last year. My setup is similar to yours:
Power Supply: Cooler Master 500W
Memory: 4g Patriot Viper DDR3 1333MHz
CPU: Intel Core i5 (don't remember the model)
SSD: Kingston 64GB
HDD: Hitachi 1TB
GPU: ATI ALL-in-Wonder HD

I'm currently just trying the things people suggested on this site and swapping out components, though I'm really confused as to why Windows updates would cause this.

I unfortunately haven't solved the issue yet. I've been extremely busy at work and haven't had time to really troubleshoot. I'm going to try another PSU to see if that'll fix it.
m
l
!