Broken hard drive "beeping sound". Fair price to recover data?

misterdeez

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
My girlfriends laptop died recently and it was somewhat old so all she wanted was the data on the hard drive (she also lost the external hard drive that I backed her data up on as well). Hoping it was something else, I removed the hard drive from her laptop and put it in an external enclosure. It didn't start spinning and I kept hearing the dreaded beeping sound which I've been told is a mechanical problem.

It's a typical laptop 2.5" SATA hard drive, 500GB. There's probably less than 250GB of actual data on the laptop.

My question is what is a fair price to get data recovered from a hard drive failure like this (if possible)?

Also if anyone knows a good place in the Atlanta, GA area that would be a great help.

Thanks!

Solution
First try a USB Y-cable. Sometimes a single USB port cannot provide enough power to spin up the drive.

Otherwise it may be that the drive has a stiction fault (heads stuck to platters). That's usually a 5-minute repair, but data recovery companies in the US will charge around US$650 for this simple job.

It could also be a seized spindle bearing which is a major repair, or a smashed headstack. The latter sometimes happens when the heads crash into the loading ramp instead of parking gracefully on it.

If you have access to a cleanroom, observe whether the heads are on the ramp or on the platters.

BTW, $1200 per GB, or even per TB, is absurd. The most you should pay, for any capacity, is US$800 plus parts.

First try a USB Y-cable. Sometimes a single USB port cannot provide enough power to spin up the drive.

Otherwise it may be that the drive has a stiction fault (heads stuck to platters). That's usually a 5-minute repair, but data recovery companies in the US will charge around US$650 for this simple job.

It could also be a seized spindle bearing which is a major repair, or a smashed headstack. The latter sometimes happens when the heads crash into the loading ramp instead of parking gracefully on it.

If you have access to a cleanroom, observe whether the heads are on the ramp or on the platters.

BTW, $1200 per GB, or even per TB, is absurd. The most you should pay, for any capacity, is US$800 plus parts.

Solution

misterdeez

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
The external enclosure actually came with a Y cable and it didn't work with both USBs plugged in. Thanks for the more realistic price check, I was thinking there's no way it is going to cost me the same price as a 4 bedroom house to recover all the data on my hard drive.