Sign in with
Your question

WPA won't keep connection but WEP will for 5 diff devices

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
August 20, 2010 5:06:01 PM

Hello,

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and last night it started dropping the connection on my wireless desktop computer running XP SP3. I went downstairs and my roommates were having the same problem on their two Windows Vista laptops. My iPhone would not connect to the network at all however, the three PCs would connect but only for a few minutes before the connection would drop totally. I went and grabbed my other router which is also a WRT54G and duplicated the setting so that printer sharing and what not would not be affected. However, we experienced the same problem. Next, I changed the channel on the router several times thinking there may just be a strong signal in the air messing it up. That did not help, all the while I hardwired a laptop into the router and it had internet the entire time. So last, I changed it to WEP encryption from WPA and it has been working since last night without a problem. I have been using the WPA settings for well over a year and never had a problem and suddenly it won't work for five different devices (3 computers, a Wii, and an iPhone) with 2 different routers.

Could there be a problem in the air around the neighborhood which has suddenly made the WPA not travel correctly because it's a higher encryption than the WEP? Was someone trying to hack our network and that's why it wasn't holding a connection correctly?

As a last though, I did not try changing the SSID or WPA password and resorted directly to changing the SSID and to a WEP password.

Thanks
LJ
August 20, 2010 6:20:45 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and last night it started dropping the connection on my wireless desktop computer running XP SP3. I went downstairs and my roommates were having the same problem on their two Windows Vista laptops. My iPhone would not connect to the network at all however, the three PCs would connect but only for a few minutes before the connection would drop totally. I went and grabbed my other router which is also a WRT54G and duplicated the setting so that printer sharing and what not would not be affected. However, we experienced the same problem. Next, I changed the channel on the router several times thinking there may just be a strong signal in the air messing it up. That did not help, all the while I hardwired a laptop into the router and it had internet the entire time. So last, I changed it to WEP encryption from WPA and it has been working since last night without a problem. I have been using the WPA settings for well over a year and never had a problem and suddenly it won't work for five different devices (3 computers, a Wii, and an iPhone) with 2 different routers.

Could there be a problem in the air around the neighborhood which has suddenly made the WPA not travel correctly because it's a higher encryption than the WEP? Was someone trying to hack our network and that's why it wasn't holding a connection correctly?

As a last though, I did not try changing the SSID or WPA password and resorted directly to changing the SSID and to a WEP password.

Thanks
LJ

I don't know what could have happened but I suggest you go back in and revert to WPA as soon as possible - WEP is not really secure enough to keep today's network hackers out. Change the SSID again when you do it and unless you really need to broadcast the new SSID, don't.

August 21, 2010 3:38:24 AM

wep is worthless saga is right!plus 1 for saga
!