dmcclelland1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Let me first apologize for my complete ignorance on the topic as I know literally almost nothing about sound cards. So firstly, can anyone steer me towards a resource to learn about them and the benefits over onboard sound.

Secondly:

My setup: Phenom II X4 955 BE not OCed yet, MSI 790fx-GD70 mobo, two Sapphire HD 4850s in crossfire, Intel X-25M 80gig SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb, Corsair 750W power supply, Logitech Z506 speakers and Bose AE2 Headphones.

I want to know if buying a sound car $150 and below pre tax will make a noticeable difference. I play Starcraft II, listen to MP3s, watch streams, and use Netflix. I am also open to the idea of purchasing new headphones or speakers if the stuff I have now will prevent me from noticing a difference with a new sound card.

Thanks!

Solution
Personally I see a sound card as a waste of money and expansion slots. Generally the audio quality of onboard audio chips is more than enough for most users. You only need a audio card if you have an exotic speaker setup that requires the extra outputs of a audio card or if you're an audiophile that demands the best possible audio quality.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Personally I see a sound card as a waste of money and expansion slots. Generally the audio quality of onboard audio chips is more than enough for most users. You only need a audio card if you have an exotic speaker setup that requires the extra outputs of a audio card or if you're an audiophile that demands the best possible audio quality.

Solution

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
The biggest complaints I hear from people who actually own sound cards are driver issues, because almost no one buys them any more, they tend to be buggy and interfere with other devices.

^^ Thats because most people use Creative cards; I've never had a driver issue with ASUS or HT Omega.

The main advantages of soundcards:
1) Extra enhancement options [Upmixing and Virtualization]
2) More tuned for music/gaming [not so much output quality, just how the audio is processed really]

In my mind, there is a significant leap from using a soundcard, but it really depends on the individual involved.

Anyway, I recommend using ASUS, HT Omega, or Auzentech, and staying away from Creative when it comes to soundcards.