Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sli GTX 470 setup keeps dropping out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2010 2:59:45 PM

Hello,

I have recently built a new computer running two MSI 470's in SLI.

I was OC'ing them however now I have dropped to stock and have this same issue (overvolting to help stability).

When the cards are stressed they simply turn off (screens go blank, computer still runs, music keeps playing e.t.c.)

However they are not exceeding what I believe to be the acceptable temperatures (95 degrees for SLI), and occasionally they cut out while doing regular no stressful tasks such as browsing.

My set up is virtually identical to the system here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/overclock-cpu-gpu,review-...

Any ideas and help would be gratefully appreciated :) 

Regards

niklz
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2010 3:04:50 PM

I would suspect a PSU issue, have you tried the cards individually?
Score
September 28, 2010 3:06:24 PM

It could be a power issue, as after overclocking the 470s exceed 750 watts on full CPU and GPU load.
Score
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2010 3:10:46 PM

Tamz_msc said:
It could be a power issue, as after overclocking the 470s exceed 750 watts on full CPU and GPU load.

They use 150w more if OC'd? Where did you get that from?
Score
September 28, 2010 3:16:57 PM

Actually its 108 watts more.Check the Power, Heat and Efficiency page in the link.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2010 3:32:51 PM

Tamz_msc said:
It depends. Though I certainly think that its a power issue.

I agree with you on that but I don't agree with using power consumption figures obtained by running Furmark as an indication of what will be used in any real life situation.
Score
September 28, 2010 3:41:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I agree with you on that but I don't agree with using power consumption figures obtained by running Furmark as an indication of what will be used in any real life situation.

Yes, Furmark and Prime95 together will give excessive power consumption :pt1cable:  .But we need to know if the overclocking was done properly.Even if the system is the same , the results that TH got might not be the same that you get.
Score
September 28, 2010 4:02:23 PM

Ermm, Just to clarify I took the advice of the article and got a 850W PSU to prevent power issues..

How do I check power consumption?

Thanks for speedy replies guys

niklz
Score
September 29, 2010 5:44:32 PM

bump
Score
September 29, 2010 5:56:17 PM

First, mousemonkey isn't going to like your bump. Second, what power supply did you buy, not all 850W PSUs are the same.
Score
September 29, 2010 6:46:30 PM

You could purchase a power consumption meter which isn't usually cheap. Your PSU should not be the problem as it is a good brand. Have you tried just one card at a time to see if one of them is faulty?

If you read the fourm stickies you would see that Bumps are not allowed. Mousemonkey already set one person straight today on this topic.
Score
September 29, 2010 8:14:50 PM

hmm, maybe I'll try the single card thing over the weekend.

The problem is fairly intermittent, I ran furmark again today and it didn't do the same thing, it seems to not be intrinsically connected to the stress on the cards.

Needless to say if it's a fault on one of the cards it would be worth stressing both of them.

A bit more info, usually after the crash when I reboot the system hangs at the login screen after I've entered my details. The screens do not turn off but the loading icon stops 'swirling' and the system sits there indefinitely. It normally takes a good 5-10 minute wait before I can boot again.

Hope some of this helps, I'm concerned It will fail properly soon..

kind regards,

niklz
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 30, 2010 1:36:54 AM

Quote:
Don't...

* Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
* Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
* Bump posts, claim "first!"
* Hijack a topic. Stick to the original conversation.
* Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection

Source.

So to be fair to others who have also had their threads closed this one should also be closed. When you've done your testing over the weekend you can start a new thread to let people know how you got on.
Score
!