Sli GTX 470 setup keeps dropping out

Status
Not open for further replies.

niklz

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hello,

I have recently built a new computer running two MSI 470's in SLI.

I was OC'ing them however now I have dropped to stock and have this same issue (overvolting to help stability).

When the cards are stressed they simply turn off (screens go blank, computer still runs, music keeps playing e.t.c.)

However they are not exceeding what I believe to be the acceptable temperatures (95 degrees for SLI), and occasionally they cut out while doing regular no stressful tasks such as browsing.

My set up is virtually identical to the system here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/overclock-cpu-gpu,review-31919.html

Any ideas and help would be gratefully appreciated :)

Regards

niklz

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

Yes, Furmark and Prime95 together will give excessive power consumption :pt1cable: .But we need to know if the overclocking was done properly.Even if the system is the same , the results that TH got might not be the same that you get.

niklz

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Ermm, Just to clarify I took the advice of the article and got a 850W PSU to prevent power issues..

How do I check power consumption?

Thanks for speedy replies guys

niklz

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
You could purchase a power consumption meter which isn't usually cheap. Your PSU should not be the problem as it is a good brand. Have you tried just one card at a time to see if one of them is faulty?

If you read the fourm stickies you would see that Bumps are not allowed. Mousemonkey already set one person straight today on this topic.

niklz

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
hmm, maybe I'll try the single card thing over the weekend.

The problem is fairly intermittent, I ran furmark again today and it didn't do the same thing, it seems to not be intrinsically connected to the stress on the cards.

Needless to say if it's a fault on one of the cards it would be worth stressing both of them.

A bit more info, usually after the crash when I reboot the system hangs at the login screen after I've entered my details. The screens do not turn off but the loading icon stops 'swirling' and the system sits there indefinitely. It normally takes a good 5-10 minute wait before I can boot again.

Hope some of this helps, I'm concerned It will fail properly soon..

kind regards,

niklz

Don't...

* Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
* Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
* Bump posts, claim "first!"
* Hijack a topic. Stick to the original conversation.
* Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection

Source.

So to be fair to others who have also had their threads closed this one should also be closed. When you've done your testing over the weekend you can start a new thread to let people know how you got on.

Status
Not open for further replies.