Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Rig 2560x1600 $1800-$2000 suggestions plz

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2010 12:52:11 AM

Hi all,

So i am basically ready to build my system, the only thing that`s holding me is the release of amd hd 6970 which is suppose to be out end of this month early December. I will be gaming at 2560x1600. Please critique this build and feel free to add/change anything. Thank you this is a great community!

Approximate Purchase Date: End of this month early December

Budget Range: $1800-$2000 can go higher if justifiable

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, internet surfing

Parts Not Required: OS, keyboard, mouse

Power Supply: Corsair 850w
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel I7
Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: both I know amd has yet to release the hd6970 so that is what I am waiting for

Monitor Resolution: Hp Zr30w gaming at 2560x1600

Additional Comments: So here are the parts I have selected thus far:
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366
CPU/Cooler: I7 950 + COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB triple channel
Graphics: EVGA gtx 580 or hd 6970 depending on benchmarks plan to crossfire/sli in the future I already have a 850w i am aware that i may need to upgrade that to accomodate
Storage: Samsung spinpoint F3 1tb considering adding a ssd
Power: Corsair 850w
Case: Coolmaster Haf X

November 22, 2010 1:14:08 AM

are you set to winning some competition? :) 

6970 is way too expensive in my opinion. Why not stick to the 6xxx series today and maybe then crossfire?

also, looking at the way things are going, choose the coolest card / chipset in the market. Too many cards susceptible to the heat issue these days.

Also, please don't hold back for 2GB more RAM. It makes a difference. Please get an 8GB no doubt about it.

Don't waste too much money on the case. Please make sure you install a bunch of fans around the case. Also, take a look at SpinQ by thermaltake, or the latest offering by them in terms of CPU cooling. I am running on SpinQ on my i7-860 and it is running quite cool.
m
l
November 22, 2010 2:56:44 AM

I think for his budget, the 6970 might be an option. We'll have to see once it is released.

For gaming, 8 GB is a total waste, especially with a triple-channel Socket 1356 build.

DO NOT get the SpinQ. It costs twice as much as the 212+ and is worse at cooling.

The HAF-X would not be my choice, but that is just because I find it disgusting-looking.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2010 6:42:49 PM

I agree with 8GB - I completely overlooked that he is going with the triple channel setup. I disagree with SpinQ - it does not cost much, and the CPUs I put it on have been running flawlessly and very cool under heavy load for hours.
m
l
November 22, 2010 7:16:00 PM

Tripple channel is a must so 6gb or 12 are your only options really

I too find the haf x pretty disgusting but hey whatever floats your boat. From the looks of your screen looks really do matter and budget isn't the greatest issue. So get whichever case looks good to you and is flawless in most respect(the lack of dust filters on the haf x does not put it in that categorie IMO). I find this one very appealing especially considering the amazing cooling http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it also a perfect case in almost every respect.

The spinQ blows it's just a bunch of lights, I'd stay away from the yper 212+ aswell though if you want to do heavy OCs. WHen going on high clocks that small tower will take it's toll and fall waaayyy behind of something larger like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the gpu: It all depends on your likings. It seems like your pretty set on a single card so then I'd say wait for the 6970 and choose between the 6970 and 580 if you can't wait just go for the 580.
m
l
November 22, 2010 8:40:38 PM

no one is mentioning to wait for sandy bridge Jan 5th?
m
l
November 22, 2010 9:14:02 PM

I have an old P4 system so i am kinda done playing the waiting game:)  and I am not really convinced that SB would make that much impact on gaming vs a solid graphics solution. Most games dont really take advantage of the current CPU horsepower. I have another question is it worth getting this memory G.SKILL PI 6GB cas 6(6-8-6-20) vs the corsair i selected in this build or any other memory suggestions? Thanks again for all the great answers.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
November 22, 2010 10:02:50 PM

1) For gaming, spend your budget on a great graphics configuration. With your budget, and a 2560 x 1600 resolution, look for A GTX580 or a 5970.
Today, I would favor the GTX580 based on the option to go sli later. Some games do not play well with dual or quad graphics chips. I suggest getting the EVGA version, based on rumors of a GTX595 dual card variant that might be launched to compete with the high end amd units. The EVGA step up program would give you some options. I have a GTX580 and two 2560 x 1600 monitors, and the limited games I play seem to do fine.
2) I think sandy bridge will be a blockbuster. I would wait unless your need is urgent.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre...
True, a i7-950 will do fine now, and for some years to come. If you are near a microcenter, you can get a i7-950 for $199
3) The X58 chipset motherboards are best populated with three sticks of ram. 6gb (3 x 2gb) is good for gaming. Unless you have other requirements, 6gb should be plenty. Do not spend more on faster ram or better timings. You will get 1-3% more application speed or FPS with the fastest vs. the slowest ram. Not much worth it. Synthetic benchmarks look impressive, but misleading and irrelevant.
4) Any oem cooler will do. The best is probably the prolomatech megahalems. It is easy to mount also.
5) I think the ASUS rampage iii is a great motherboard, but over featured and over priced. Look at the sabretooth model or similar.
6) Corsair 850w is good. Is this the gold certified modular unit?
7) For this type of build, consider a SSD for the boot , OS and app drive. Everything will feel much quicker. Not much help for gaming though. Budget $100 +.
8) Get a case you love. If it has at least two 120mm intake fans or equivalent, you will usually have adequate cooling.
November 22, 2010 11:19:14 PM

the one beasting the i7 980x extreme right there is supposed to cost 209-218.
m
l
November 23, 2010 2:54:59 AM

If you would like to put more money into cooling for some high overclock, the Megahalems or the Noctua cooler would be a good idea. Please just stay away from the SpinQ.
m
l
November 23, 2010 3:18:34 PM

Won't the Noctua run into those Dominators though?
m
l
November 23, 2010 3:42:01 PM

jake1121 said:
Won't the Noctua run into those Dominators though?

You can move up the fan or remove the moniator top heatsink part. Both are harmless really.
m
l
November 23, 2010 4:10:20 PM

Somebody_007 said:
SB is a pretty good choice but they aren't able to be OC'd exept for some probably overpriced unlocked models. And I'm pretty sure a 950 overclocked to a reasonable 4.0ghz will beat that SB proccesor.

Sorry i had my #'s confused.
The one beating the i7 980x there is going to be cheaper than the i5 760.

The i5 2500k (unlocked multi) "the 2500K will replace the i5 760/655K ($205 - $216)."
m
l
November 23, 2010 5:23:23 PM

vindictive said:
Sorry i had my #'s confused.
The one beating the i7 980x there is going to be cheaper than the i5 760.

The i5 2500k (unlocked multi) "the 2500K will replace the i5 760/655K ($205 - $216)."

Intresting. If that info is correctr than it would be a pretty good idea to wait.
m
l
November 23, 2010 5:28:30 PM

everything I'm saying is coming from anandtech, pretty reliable source.
m
l
November 23, 2010 5:57:10 PM

vindictive said:
everything I'm saying is coming from anandtech, pretty reliable source.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure everything you say is correct and probably coming from intel, but maybe there's something fishy(like expensive chipsets and thus motherboards, weak graphics performance or maybe sudden price increases like happened with the 5850 anything is possible really, but there's no doubt if you can wait then you definately should)
m
l
November 24, 2010 3:32:12 AM

Best answer selected by prolymphocyte.
m
l
November 24, 2010 4:40:00 AM

geofelt said:
1) For gaming, spend your budget on a great graphics configuration...

Dude!
That is a GREAT answer. Detailed, expositional, easy to follow...! I'm impressed.

Sorry I don't have anything more to contribute to the thread, but I felt obligated to add that.
m
l
!