Sign in with
Your question

Will 5850 prices drop when 6xxx arrives ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2010 3:24:58 PM

Hi,
I have decided to build a new computer and I am anxious to get started simply because I am eager to use it. But I don't want to but a Radeon 5850 DirectCU now if prices will go down in a few weeks when the 6xxx series arrives.

It may be a bit of a crystal ball question, but is it to any extent certain that prices for the 5850 will go down once the 6xxx series arrive in October or November? Or could prices stay up since the 5850 is a popular card?

Also, will companies continue to produce 5850 even after the 6xxx have arrived, or will I only have a possibility now to get a card while current stocks last?

Sorry for the crystal ball, but thanks a lot for your attempt to answer my question.

/p
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2010 3:27:20 PM

Yes it will drop and AMD may still produce it for some time( not much though).But I think that it'll be there till stocks last though.
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 28, 2010 3:42:41 PM

Umm, yes, i think the HD5xxx series prices should dropped even a little...
But HD5xxx series aren't going to be an absolute cards, these series can go more longer even when 6xxx series are released...
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
September 28, 2010 9:04:20 PM

Prices have already started to dip a little especially when you take rebates into consideration. For example a HD 5850 is as cheap as $210 after rebates. I would say it could go as low as $160 - $170 after rebate once the 6xxxx series is released.
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 28, 2010 9:22:46 PM

Probably. The 6770 is suppose to be about as fast as the 5850 so yeah I would assume that will force a bit of a price drop. They should be launching the end of October with availability to actually buy them in early November. You may as well just wait to find out.
!