Asus 5870 "ripple" on single display

Gradie

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Thanks to lots of advice from members of this forum I completed my first build over the weekend and broadly speaking I am very happy with the results.

I do however have an issue with the Asus 5870 graphics card. Specifically, whilst playing Final Fantasy XIV I occasionally see a horizontal ripple in the display that slowly moves from the bottom of the screen to the top. I am using a single graphics card with a single display (most things that I've seen from searches refer to crossfire and/or dual monitor setups), the display being an LG W2261VP. I have the display connected via a DVI cable (not sure if the monitor came with an HDMI cable - I just pulled out the first lead I came to!).

Driver wise I took the advice of the build guide that I was following to update the drivers to the latest available on the ATI website. I have not tried any other drivers or any other games, as I have yet to install anything else! Nothing has been overclocked and system temperatures all seem very low.

Any suggestions as to possible causes and solultions would be very helpful!

Have another monitor to try? It could be defective monitor... Try that first.
After that you can try older driver like 10.3 or 10.4, that's the most stable driver for now. ANd make sure you have enough power to run HD5870. :)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
In the case of such a new title, I tend to believe a newer driver would hold the solution, not an older one. I think it was Cat 10.7 which finally enabled CrossFire support for that game. Though that doesn't specifically apply, I'm fairly certain other game-specific issues were also addressed.

The description reminds me of when you're watching a TV show, movie, or a recording of a PC monitor that uses a different refresh rate. You either see a line slowly crawling up the monitor, or they kinda blink repeatedly. Is there any chance your monitor is set to a different refresh rate than the game settings? Also, try enabling V-Sync.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

just a hint try enabling v-sync.

Gradie

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
There is certainly a chance that the refresh rate is different or that enabling V-Sync will sort the problem - I'll check both of these tonight and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions