Is my Hard Drive Corrupt ?

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Ok so I just rebuilt my PC, New Motherboard / Ram / Video card etc. The only things that I re-used was the harddrive / cd-rom.

When I try to boot to my Hard Drive, It gives me BSOD with error 0x0000007B
I try to boot from a Windows Install disk, It says "General Protection Fault"
I then hooked it up as a slave to my bigger computer, Same things, when trying to boot, BSOD with same error, and when trying to install windows "General Protection Fault."

I removed all the wanted information from the hard drive, and formatted it from windows.

I then tried to boot from the CD on my computer, Still got General Protection Fault.

Hooked it up to the PC it is suppose to go in, Same exact problem, General Protection Fault....

This CD works fine in other PCs, Does this mean my hard-drive is corrupt ? It worked fine earlier with all the old stuff hooked up. Now it won't work at all.

The General Protection Fault is caused by TSR Programs (Terminate and Stay Resident).. or rather malicious programs/virus which work in MS-DOS therefore they can load when the computer starts booting... My guess is some malicious process remains in the Hard Drive, as you may already know formatting doesn't destroy all data from a HDD and much the less with a quick format or from Windows, so the best procedure to get rid of any TSR virus would be to delete the format leaving the HDD in Unallocated disk space and format it during the installation rather than from Windows. So, from the Disk Manager, delete partitions from the HDD leaving it unallocated and format it from the Installation disk.