TLJackson

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I have always used PC's. I am on the PC a lot, but not for anything very strenuous. I surf the web and use MSOffice. I have lately become enamoured with Apple products. I am thinking about buying a refurbished iMac. My question is worth another $90 to get a Core i3 instead of a Core 2 Duo?

Solution
TLJackson, get the iMac. I personally would go for the i3 version, since it makes more sense to have a more current platform if it is available, but for overall performance for day-to-day tasks, you will not notice any real world difference.

Some folks here will poo-poo your decision just because you would deign to buy an Apple product, but contrary to the popular opinion on this board, Apple does make very good products. Just not the kind of products most adrenaline-addicted gamers would find to their liking.
Yes. The Core i3 will outperform the Core 2 Duo in a lot of ways.

But here is my personal opinion. Apple products are a waste. They are over priced and Apple is too controling. In honesty, a new PC with Windows 7 will do what you need and still allow you to have more freedom in upgrading parts and not worrying about if software is made for the OS.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
^+1. I think the most telling word in the original post was "enamored". Apple is a very closed ecosystem, in terms of hardware and software. Upgrading Apple hardware is difficult to impossible depending on the exact hardware we're talking about. Just take a look at the recent Apple mobile devices that use a screw that Apple had the manufacturer patent so no one could make a screwdriver to open Apple devices up.

You can get just a powerful of a PC for a much lower price than a IMac, or for he same price as a IMac you could get a much more powerful PC. And think about the software that you'll have to leave behind.

If you feel you are currently not paying enough tax, get an Apple.

Seriously though, Mac's have their uses in certain environments. Most of my photographer and graphic designer friends swear by their Mac's. But for general, everyday PC use, there is no compelling reason to go Apple. You are paying more for what is effectively the same hardware in a pretty casing with a different OS.

TLJackson

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I do appreciate everyone's comments about apple being overpriced for what one gets. That may be right . . . from your perspective. . . but I am not sure it is right from my perspective.

I am probably not the typical poster on this site. I do not build or modify computers. The most I do is add some memory. I have rather simple needs, but needs I want met (Christ! In another context that last context would sound like a cave man.). I have used pc's for 15 years and for the most part they have met those needs. My frustration is that in the last six months I have bought an iPad and iPhone and found both to be very easy to use and trouble free. This has intrigued me to try an iMac. Maybe I will regret this decision, and come to realize the wisdom on your comments, but I am afraid that is a lesson I will have to learn for myself.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
TLJackson, get the iMac. I personally would go for the i3 version, since it makes more sense to have a more current platform if it is available, but for overall performance for day-to-day tasks, you will not notice any real world difference.

Some folks here will poo-poo your decision just because you would deign to buy an Apple product, but contrary to the popular opinion on this board, Apple does make very good products. Just not the kind of products most adrenaline-addicted gamers would find to their liking.

Solution