Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Amateur builder needs help

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 10:28:34 AM

Have a few questions about using fans with motherboard and power supply. I also need the best yet free software that will help me test all my new hardware to make sure it's stable and in proper condition.

First Q., what are jumpers on the mobo and will I need to use them to complete my build?

My motherboard has 3 chassis fan connectors and only 1 of them has 4 pins (fourth providing fan speed control). Will the other 2 connectors work with "Fanspeed" software or do I need to buy separate fan speed controllers, if so, which would you recommend?

What should I be looking for to connect fans with 3 pins to a powersupply (need Newegg link if possible)?

ANY help is greatly appreciated!

More about : amateur builder

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 1:49:03 PM

Quote:
First Q., what are jumpers on the mobo and will I need to use them to complete my build?

depends - what is your mobo specs? It could be an OC jumper, CMOS reset jumper or maybe a BIOS jumper...

Quote:
My motherboard has 3 chassis fan connectors and only 1 of them has 4 pins (fourth providing fan speed control). Will the other 2 connectors work with "Fanspeed" software or do I need to buy separate fan speed controllers, if so, which would you recommend?

the 4pin connector is for the CPU fan only and the rest 3pin connectors are for your case/chassis fans which you can use as intake or exhaust depending what PC case you have.

Quote:
What should I be looking for to connect fans with 3 pins to a powersupply (need Newegg link if possible)?

all fans these days come with a 3-4pin connector standard instead of a 4 pin molex connector...or you could find them on cheap fans.
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 2:54:58 PM

Lutfij said:
Quote:

depends - what is your mobo specs? It could be an OC jumper, CMOS reset jumper or maybe a BIOS jumper...

Quote:

the 4pin connector is for the CPU fan only and the rest 3pin connectors are for your case/chassis fans which you can use as intake or exhaust depending what PC case you have.

Quote:

all fans these days come with a 3-4pin connector standard instead of a 4 pin molex connector...or you could find them on cheap fans.

Thank you for helping me! I currently have a thread open here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294150-28-need-advice...
and was wondering if you could help me out a bit with the last questions I had on there.
I understood everything you said but I still don't know if I'll be able to reduce the fan speeds with the software I named. My motherboard layout says the connector with 4 pins is in fact for a chassis fan because I already have one on top labeled "cpu fan connector" but that's not what my inquisition is about.

What software do you know of that will help me see if my hardware parts are installed correctly and error-free (I know memtest, AMD overdrive, CPU-Z but that's pretty much it)? If you have a site with a list of the software please link.

I don't wish to disturb you so if I am, don't waste any more time on me. You will probably have a barrel of chain-questions coming your way :D 
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 3:09:34 PM

Lutfij said:
Quote:

depends - what is your mobo specs? It could be an OC jumper, CMOS reset jumper or maybe a BIOS jumper

Installation guide says PS2_USB_PW1, USB_PW2, USB_PW3, and last one is the CMOS reset jumper (all jumpers have 3 pins).
The above mentioned are the only 4 jumpers I have. My motherboard is an ASROCK 870 EXTREME3.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 3:17:35 PM

ok, good to hear from you - you can check out speedfan it monitos the fan speeds of your mobo at least anything connected to the pins.

Now lets clear up a small misunderstanding. You can monitor your fan speeds and temps in your BIOS as well :)  you can also set the fan speed in the BIOS as well..as i've done. I've set my intake case fan to run on silent.

Now the problem with this is the fan moves less air through the case but it makes less noise. More speed=more airflow=more noise.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 3:28:04 PM

don't touch the CMOS reset jumper -its only for recovery from a bad OC :)  and the fan pin headers will be marked on your mobo PCB
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 3:38:15 PM

Lutfij said:
ok, good to hear from you - you can check out speedfan it monitos the fan speeds of your mobo at least anything connected to the pins.

Now lets clear up a small misunderstanding. You can monitor your fan speeds and temps in your BIOS as well :)  you can also set the fan speed in the BIOS as well..as i've done. I've set my intake case fan to run on silent.

Now the problem with this is the fan moves less air through the case but it makes less noise. More speed=more airflow=more noise.

Ok, so any fan connected to the mobo is manageable through the BIOS. What if I don't have enough pin connectors on motherboard and need to connect it to my PSU, what adapter do I need to buy (please give me a link to a Newegg product if you can)?

I already purchased TWO 3000 rpm fans so I'm prepared for some—noise :lol:  My case came with one 40CFM 1k rpm 120mm fan so my current game plan is to use those 2 hungry (133 cfm each) fans for the rear and top while the 40cfm will be sucking air in. However, I’m a bit worried on the balance and sufficiency of this plan. How will it perform with a 550-700w PSU since it's at the bottom (haven't purchased the PSU yet, waiting for BF-CM prices)?
Refer to this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294150-28-need-advice... for more of my goofiness.
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 3:40:07 PM

Lutfij said:
don't touch the CMOS reset jumper -its only for recovery from a bad OC :)  and the fan pin headers will be marked on your mobo PCB

Gotcha. Also, please don't use acronyms, I'm fairly new to this--PCB? :heink: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 3:52:09 PM

lol-two thread but one reply path :D  it really is goofy

PCB=Print circuit board, its what the mobo=motherboard is made from. Its like a schematic for laying down the components when the board is manufactured down an assembly line.

Quote:
Installation guide says PS2_USB_PW1, USB_PW2, USB_PW3,

these jumpers are for connecting the USB headers for the front panel of your case. You have Front panel connectivity right? so you need it connected to the mobo...thas where the PS2_USB_PW1, USB_PW2, USB_PW3 jumpers and wires come in handy. refer to your case manual to better understand how to connect it to the mobo header.

Quote:
Ok, so any fan connected to the mobo is manageable through the BIOS. What if I don't have enough pin connectors on motherboard and need to connect it to my PSU, what adapter do I need to buy (please give me a link to a Newegg product if you can)?

for that you'd need a fan controller like this (it should tackle all the fans in your case - including the side panel) another route - you can even use a molex to pin connector/adapter but it disables the use of the 3 pin function to monitor and control fan speeds. Mind you, using the fan controller will render your mobo function useless as well as the 4pin molex-3pin header option. The only trade off is that the fan contorller ACTUALLY controlls the fans speed and you can manually set the speeds thus YOU have full controll of what the fans do.

Just so you know, you can connect a 3pin fan connector to a 4 pin fan header on the mobo as long as you align it with the notch and don't break the pins :) 
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 4:35:04 PM

Lutfij said:
lol-two thread but one reply path :D  it really is goofy

PCB=Print circuit board, its what the mobo=motherboard is made from. Its like a schematic for laying down the components when the board is manufactured down an assembly line.

Quote:
Installation guide says PS2_USB_PW1, USB_PW2, USB_PW3,

these jumpers are for connecting the USB headers for the front panel of your case. You have Front panel connectivity right? so you need it connected to the mobo...thas where the PS2_USB_PW1, USB_PW2, USB_PW3 jumpers and wires come in handy. refer to your case manual to better understand how to connect it to the mobo header.

Quote:

for that you'd need a fan controller like this (it should tackle all the fans in your case - including the side panel) another route - you can even use a molex to pin connector/adapter but it disables the use of the 3 pin function to monitor and control fan speeds. Mind you, using the fan controller will render you mobo function useless as well as the 4pin molex-3pin header option. The only trade off is that the fan contorller ACTUALLY controlls the fans speed and you can manually set the speeds thus YOU have full controll of what the fans do.

Just so you know, you can connect a 3pin fan connector to a 4 pin fan header on the mobo as long as you align it with the notch and don't break the pins :) 

Perfect explanations, nearly everything is now coming to view, however I am unable to find any "molex to pin connector" adapters on Newegg :(  Please please give me a link to one.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 4:43:17 PM

BOOM here you go! :) 
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 5:28:08 PM

Lutfij said:
BOOM here you go! :) 

:o 

You...are...amazing!
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 5:28:15 PM

Best answer selected by Gundown99.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 5:40:08 PM

I'm getting that alot these days...don;t worry bro, we're here to help - knock me if you need anything else or any thread help!

and THANK YOU for the vote!!!!

Cheers+G'luck
m
l
!