Maxtor Onetouch 4 - Not being recognized

syphon101

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hello,

I been having some trouble with my external Maxtor Onetouch 4 hard drive. It used to work fine on both my laptops and old desktop. I recently built a new desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate, when I plugged it in the first time I had no issue's. Weeks later I plugged it in again, and nothing. It's not showing up in My Computer, Disk Management or Seatools nor will any of my other computers running Windows XP, and Vista recognize it. This same exact thing happened with my Handyman external HDD.

I've looked all over for it, I'm not even seeing it in Device Manager as an Unknown Mass Storage Device. I can't really find any drivers or software for this drive online and the software it came with was installed once plugging the drive in. I've seen so many post about similar issue's on this External HDD yet none seem to have a decent solution.

The drive has it's own power supply via AC adapter and then connects to the PC via USB. When I plug it in, the drive boots up and sounds normal as it always has, the light comes on in the front just as always. I've swapped USB cables to check if that was the issue.

I still have this covered under warranty but don't want it to be replaced unless I recover the data on it, which means I don't really want to crack the enclosure open and void the warranty.

Any help would be appreciated..

"I can't really find any drivers or software for this drive online"

That's because the driver for 99% of external hard drives is built in to Windows - a Microsoft mass storage driver.
In any case, if the drive used to work okay without downloading a driver, why would it need a driver downloading now?

Have you checked to see that it might simply need a drive-letter assigning to it?
Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.

In the bottom-right panel, look for a bar which has no drive letter and has the word "Raw" on it, no drive name.
Right-click it & choose "Change Drive Letter & Paths".
Click "Add".
Choose a letter.
Click 'OK'.

syphon101

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Yea, I've read that most drivers were built into Windows for external hard drives. Just wanted to be sure, didn't know if the backup software that came with the drive included anything of the sort.

And yes, I've checked Disk Management on three different computers which consisted of Windows XP, Vista, and 7. The drive is not showing up at all on any of them. Now I would of thought this drive was failing but the same thing happened with my external Handyman drive that does not have a built-in power supply.

syphon101

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Nope, can not see it in Microsoft's UVCView. Funny part is, when I do plug the USB in, it seems to turn on as normal. The LED Is: ON (solid) which means the Drive State: Awake, no activity

Not sure if the enclosure contains a 7200.11 drive or DiamondMax 22, I can't seem to find any information that indicates that is does or does not.

P/N: 9NT2A4-500
MODEL #
STM305004OTA3E1-RK

TRENDING THREADS