Upgrade motherboard or CPU?

kite05

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
well I decided to get the Geforce GTX 460 because peopl said I can run its PCIE 2.0 on my PCIE x16 an only lose a few fps, but I need to know if it would be better to get a new motherboard or a new CPU, here is what I have currently,

motherboard + CPU - ntel® Pentium® D Processor 945
(4M Cache, 3.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB

and here is what I will need/going for

http://www.final-fantasy-14.org/ff14-content/platform/

I was thinking of staying with the mobo and getting a new CPU to go with the gtx 460, but I dont know which new CPUs would go with my mobo

thank you for any help, I really appreciate it

Whats your motherboard model? It most likely wont take the newer Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad chips as it came with a Pentium D so you would have to buy a new CPU+Motherboard. Since you would most likely have to replace it all might as well get a newer mobo+cpu instead core 2's. The cheapest possible upgrade would be a new Athlon 2 X3 and an AM3 motherboard, If you need to resure your DDR2 RAM than an AM2 motherboard.\

Edit: Also that Pentium D will be bottlenecking the GTX 460, not to mention it doesnt meet the minimum system requirements.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

He will probably also have to change his memory type.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
You'll need to give us the model of your motherboard to find out which sockets and memory types it supports. You can find this on the motherboard physically or by using a program such as everest or belarc advisor, though with belarc advisor only give us the motherboard number not the entire article since it contains things such as windows product codes.

G

well I used CPU-Z and here is what it says about my motherboard,
Manufacturer - Gateway
model - Desktop system PROFILE6
chipset - intel i945P/PL/G/GZ Rev. A2
Southbridge - Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)
LPCIO - SMSC

Bios
brand - PHoenix Technologies, LTD
version - P06.P945G
Graphic interface
version PCI-Express
link width - x16
max. supported - x16

used Everest here is what it says
motherboard name - unknown
motherboard chipset - Intel Lakeport - G i945G
system memory - 1024MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
socket designation on CPU - socket 775
motherboard front side bus - intel netburt 64-bit 200 MHz (QDR) 800 MHz 6400 MB/s
memory bus - dual DDR2 SDRAM 128-bit 333 Mhz (DDR) 667 MHz 10667 MB/s

anything else I need ? I cna find it all out so just let me know

G

From a Gateway Profile 6 Expert Owner.

I see you have motherboard revision A2 and BIOS P06.945G. Your motherboard will support Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe processors up to the E6700 which is clocked at 2.66 Ghz. A huge step up from the Pentium D. As for the video card, the riser card in the back and the limited dimensions of the Profile 6 are major constraints as to what you can put in there. I currently have an EVGA 9500GT 1GB and it fits nicely. Not the most powerful card but will do most games at low / medium settings. Also the 270 watt power supply limits your choice on components. Switching to a Core 2 Duo will most likely drop the power consumption of the processor down. My Profile 6 on full load will hit a maximum of about 150 watts. Normal Idle consumption is around 110 - 120 Watts. For a memory upgrade, a maximum of 2gb is supported.

Unfortunately, the Profile 6's Motherboard is unique. I believe it's a special ITX / BTX form factor and if you look at the power supply, there are only 10 pins going into the main power bus. Plus a GTX 460 would maybe fit in the case with the back cover off, although i would think not, but the power supply requirement is way too high for that type of card.

Lastly, if you want to run a game with those requirements i would suggest a new build.

My system specs:
Gateway Profile 6 off of Ebay

- Upgraded motherbard to Rev. A2 BIOS= P07.P945G
- Intel Core 2 Duo E 6600 @ 2.4Ghz
- 2GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram
- EVGA Geforce 9500GT
- 250Gb Western Digital SATA Hard Drive
- Hauppauge TV Tuner (PCI)
- 17 inch stock integrated monitor