Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade motherboard or CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2010 7:49:54 PM

well I decided to get the Geforce GTX 460 because peopl said I can run its PCIE 2.0 on my PCIE x16 an only lose a few fps, but I need to know if it would be better to get a new motherboard or a new CPU, here is what I have currently,

motherboard + CPU - ntel® Pentium® D Processor 945
(4M Cache, 3.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB

and here is what I will need/going for

http://www.final-fantasy-14.org/ff14-content/platform/

I was thinking of staying with the mobo and getting a new CPU to go with the gtx 460, but I dont know which new CPUs would go with my mobo

thank you for any help, I really appreciate it
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2010 8:02:16 PM

Whats your motherboard model? It most likely wont take the newer Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad chips as it came with a Pentium D so you would have to buy a new CPU+Motherboard. Since you would most likely have to replace it all might as well get a newer mobo+cpu instead core 2's. The cheapest possible upgrade would be a new Athlon 2 X3 and an AM3 motherboard, If you need to resure your DDR2 RAM than an AM2 motherboard.\

Edit: Also that Pentium D will be bottlenecking the GTX 460, not to mention it doesnt meet the minimum system requirements.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2010 8:05:04 PM

Snipergod87 said:
Whats your motherboard model? It most likely wont take the newer Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad chips as it came with a Pentium D so you would have to buy a new CPU+Motherboard. Since you would most likely have to replace it all might as well get a newer mobo+cpu instead core 2's. The cheapest possible upgrade would be a new Athlon 2 X3 and an AM3 motherboard, If you need to resure your DDR2 RAM than an AM2 motherboard.\

Edit: Also that Pentium D will be bottlenecking the GTX 460, not to mention it doesnt meet the minimum system requirements.

He will probably also have to change his memory type.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2010 8:19:04 PM

how do I go about changing the memory type? and will most motherboards fit into most PCs? I'm using a Gateway Profile 6 atm
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 3:10:59 PM

You'll need to give us the model of your motherboard to find out which sockets and memory types it supports. You can find this on the motherboard physically or by using a program such as everest or belarc advisor, though with belarc advisor only give us the motherboard number not the entire article since it contains things such as windows product codes.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 6:18:33 PM

well I used CPU-Z and here is what it says about my motherboard,
Manufacturer - Gateway
model - Desktop system PROFILE6
chipset - intel i945P/PL/G/GZ Rev. A2
Southbridge - Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)
LPCIO - SMSC

Bios
brand - PHoenix Technologies, LTD
version - P06.P945G
Graphic interface
version PCI-Express
link width - x16
max. supported - x16

used Everest here is what it says
motherboard name - unknown
motherboard chipset - Intel Lakeport - G i945G
system memory - 1024MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
socket designation on CPU - socket 775
motherboard front side bus - intel netburt 64-bit 200 MHz (QDR) 800 MHz 6400 MB/s
memory bus - dual DDR2 SDRAM 128-bit 333 Mhz (DDR) 667 MHz 10667 MB/s

anything else I need ? I cna find it all out so just let me know
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2010 10:58:57 PM

From a Gateway Profile 6 Expert Owner.

I see you have motherboard revision A2 and BIOS P06.945G. Your motherboard will support Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe processors up to the E6700 which is clocked at 2.66 Ghz. A huge step up from the Pentium D. As for the video card, the riser card in the back and the limited dimensions of the Profile 6 are major constraints as to what you can put in there. I currently have an EVGA 9500GT 1GB and it fits nicely. Not the most powerful card but will do most games at low / medium settings. Also the 270 watt power supply limits your choice on components. Switching to a Core 2 Duo will most likely drop the power consumption of the processor down. My Profile 6 on full load will hit a maximum of about 150 watts. Normal Idle consumption is around 110 - 120 Watts. For a memory upgrade, a maximum of 2gb is supported.

Unfortunately, the Profile 6's Motherboard is unique. I believe it's a special ITX / BTX form factor and if you look at the power supply, there are only 10 pins going into the main power bus. Plus a GTX 460 would maybe fit in the case with the back cover off, although i would think not, but the power supply requirement is way too high for that type of card.

Lastly, if you want to run a game with those requirements i would suggest a new build.

My system specs:
Gateway Profile 6 off of Ebay

- Upgraded motherbard to Rev. A2 BIOS= P07.P945G
- Intel Core 2 Duo E 6600 @ 2.4Ghz
- 2GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram
- EVGA Geforce 9500GT
- 250Gb Western Digital SATA Hard Drive
- Hauppauge TV Tuner (PCI)
- 17 inch stock integrated monitor
m
l
!