Pleaz help, I have very basic IT know-how! Have been unable to connect to the internet for past 2 weeks :
1. I'm using Dell Inspiron 1420 - OS - Vista and using Aztech Modem/router -
When I hook up my PC to the modem, all the lights are on but I get :
1. Internet connection - Local Area Network only.
2. When I try to connect to network - message says unable to connect.
3. Contacted my local ISP - they said my line is ok and asked me to check
IPCONFIG - message shows MEDIA DISCONNECTED. They insisted I
check my cables. So I reset the modem (button on the back of device).
4. When I tried to troubleshoot using Network Sharing - it says Primary
5. After googling info from the web, I tried to renew/reset IPCONFIG, it
gave me a message about elevation. Sori, I'm really blur on IT.
5. I even tried System Restore, nothing works.
Really appreciate your help. This is my only computer so I really cant determine if the fault is the cable, modem or computer. However as I said earlier, when I hooked up everything; all lights on. It just does not want to connect.
Utmost apologies for the late update. Unfortunately, I've access to only 1 pc at home and have to rely on the office desktop.
I did recommendations and help listed above during the week. Nothing worked except that I noticed after religiously resetting the network adaptor using diagnose and repair. About 10 times sporadically, I was able to get a connection. Took me between 4-5 hrs.
On Sat, tried to connect, same prob. So I kept resetting the network adaptor and finally got a connection after exactly 5 1/2 hrs. I went online to Microsoft site and used Microsoft Fix-It to resolve any issues. There were a few errors which M Fix-It says it has solved. Something to do with drivers not being updated.
I also re-installed my Aztech modem/router combo settings following the instruction manual. Sorry guys my IT know-how is pathetic, by keying in the IP add 192....... I got a website under Aztech that says it has detected my settings.
Anyway I tried connecting 10 hrs later and voila! I had internet connection immediately. I hope its not a fluke and I get to connect without hassle.
Thanks guys for the info. I really dont know what I did to get it working.