How to get Intel RST on my desktop

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I have a 3570k with a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H MoBo. I currently have a 1TB HDD and a 64GB mSATA SSD. I want to put these in RAID 0 using my mSATA SSD as a cache through Intel RST. But Intel RST doesn't seem to be installed on my desktop for some reason. My laptop has this installed from the factory. I know how to use the software but shouldn't my custom built desktop have Intel RST already installed, being that it has all 2012 parts in it and Intel RST is a feature my MoBo has? I know for sure it's not in the control panel. So I really don't think it's on my PC. What's a good way of using my mSATA as a cache? Any ideas on what software I could download and use? What should I do?

You never want to create a RAID array with a SSD and a HDD. The array should be all SSDs or all HDDs.
A RAID-0 array's Read/Write performance is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds.

A RAID-0's total capacity is also based upon the drive with the smallest capacity.
So if you have a 60GB drive and a 1TB drive in RAID-0, your array total capacity (before formatting) will be 120GB.

If you want to use the SSD as a cache drive then your O/S has to be on your HDD, and the ports your HDD & SSD are connected to have to be in RAID mode.

Here's the link to download Intel's latest RST drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22194&ProdId=2101&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208*&DownloadType=Drivers

Here's the link for instructions on setting up Intel SRT after you've installed the RST drivers: http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Yes I knew all of that. My OS is neither on my HDD nor my SSD. I have an SSD for my OS. I wanted to make my data drive faster for programs and stuff. I obviously don't want to set up a real RAID0 with an SSD and HDD. I want to use the SSD as a cache. Which is what Intel RST was pretty much made for. Will I be able to set it up this way? If not I'll just use my mSATA SSD as a little more storage for my main programs.

All I should have to do is download this file and once I open the program just press accelerate?

I have no idea if I can use Intel RST for a data drive. It might be jsut for your OS.

Thanks for the info BTW. I appreciate it. I didn't know I had to have everything in RAID mode